• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do The Flyers Trade A Defenseman Before The Season?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grossmann is an important piece to having a balanced 6 man d-group. the flyers don't have a full time NHL replacement for him at this point.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the prevailing item in any trade strategy is well-known but often lost in the translation. That being, is/are what the Flyers are giving up being of equal or greater value to to what they are receiving to facilitate the overall team success than the Flyers would experience without the trade.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grossmann is an important piece to having a balanced 6 man d-group. the flyers don't have a full time NHL replacement for him at this point.

I like Grossman even though he's slow he contributes in many other ways such as he is around the league leaders in blocking shots, he's a space eater and he is a big hitter. If we don't get a replacement for him soon when do we? He may get hurt again then what do we do?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Grossman even though he's slow he contributes in many other ways such as he is around the league leaders in blocking shots, he's a space eater and he is a big hitter. If we don't get a replacement for him soon when do we? He may get hurt again then what do we do?

I think Morin and Hagg can fill the role in the future, while being better (or much better) all around players. It's just a waiting game. Until then, I'd like to keep Grossmann because I think he helps the team be competitive in the now.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Morin and Hagg can fill the role in the future, while being better (or much better) all around players. It's just a waiting game. Until then, I'd like to keep Grossmann because I think he helps the team be competitive in the now.

I do like Gross and want him to stay for now but if we traded him and brought up Laurdison im not sure we would be that much less competitive. It all depands what we could get for him, I definitely do think we should be shopping him.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have argued both sides of this...more based on the audience and or the way the question is broached than how I feel.

Right now the Flyers are over a barrel. Vinny's contract is a lead weight that no one wants to take on. Hextall appears to be willing to move heaven and earth to give Berube the lineup he wants, or at least remove the players he doesn't want/can't see fitting. Vinny is a pro and will show up and play no matter what the outcome. The bigger issue is, can he at this stage play at a level that justifies him getting top 6 minutes and that big paycheck? Can he stay healthy? Will he be a better 2nd center than Brayden Schenn right now?

With those imponderables hanging over our heads, and Hextalls, it is easy to look for the next log jam in contracts and or players who don't appear to fit the "Berube" model for lack of a better term. While Grossman's contract isn't horrible, the loss of those $$'s would make life easier. Coburn's contract is about the same and he would bring a lot more in return, but is younger, more mobile and has a greater offensive upside.

It really comes down to how healthy is Grossman and Vinny? If they are both equally healthy and there is a trade that can be made for one or the other...or both...then that is the way to go. Grossman makes a good first pass, he is steady and physical and is a good on ice tutor. He is also slow to the point of Hatcher slow turning to his left and prone to over committing to the outside for stretches at a time...he also appears to "get it" and corrects these problems in his game as quickly as they appear. None of the kids at this point have ALL of the tools that Grossman brings. If you subtract Grossman from the NHL 6-7 and don't get a top end to move everyone else down one, then you need to get all of the tools that he brings.

So....

I don't know....but it is as good a topic to bounce around in the last week of July as any....and it sure beats "should they buy out Bryz?"