• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do pro athletes do this regularly

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preying on the stupid doesn't make you a better person.

No. It makes you a capitalist.

And it's not "preying" when the prey comes to you.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all, I've been a Peyton fan since Tennessee. If it's all for profit, I don't see where a comfortably rich player needs to soak his fans for his autograph. It definitely sours me on him a bit if it's not for a good cause.

Without knowing all the details behind it...I don't really have an opinion on PM's situation, but as I've seen posted...typically the athlete is paid a fee to come and sign stuff for a few hours...that fee could be $10k, $20k or more, who knows...what they do with that money I don't really care.

In turn the company that put the event on charges the public who get a few seconds with their favorite player...something signed, etc...normally a win/win situation. I like this far better than college athletes that do the same thing and get a free meal or something.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're insanely wealthy and famous, use your fame for good, not evil.
Of the memorabilia sellers weren't making money off signatures they'd probably sign for free or at least very cheap. The memorabilia market is what drives the price. Why should Joe Blow make loving off of Peyton signature if Peyton isn't benefiting?

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pay $300 to talk to PM and get his autograph loooong before I shell out $200 for Brady's cookbook.
Just sayin.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Normally they do these things at the behest of their agents or sponsors. I guarantee none of them want to be there....except maybe the Cromarties of the world that need the paycheck.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you're insanely wealthy and famous, use your fame for good, not evil.

:doh: Evil? That's ret*rded. It's "evil" to offer your autograph for money? :rolleyes2: He's not putting a gun to people's heads. They come voluntarily because they WANT TO spend their money for an autograph.

Who are you to tell him what he should do with his free time?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: Evil? That's ret*rded. It's "evil" to offer your autograph for money? :rolleyes2: He's not putting a gun to people's heads. They come voluntarily because they WANT TO spend their money for an autograph.

Who are you to tell him what he should do with his free time?

Obviously I was speaking rhetorically.

If I had all the money I could ever need, I would treat my fans better than that, unless the money was going to charity. He can do whatever he wants obviously, and I can think he's a douche because of it if I wish as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You been in a coma? His reign of terror is almost over.

Reign of terror only for the misinformed and those same stupid people we were speaking of. Best president in quite a while IMO. I will leave it at that, as this isn't the forum for that discussion.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Just about all the big stars do that. Tommy Lasorda used to tell his guys that signing autographs and being classy with the fans was part of the job. Things have really changed. Couldn't stand him when he was with the Dodgers but he's a class act.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

If I had all the money I could ever need, I would treat my fans better than that, unless the money was going to charity. He can do whatever he wants obviously, and I can think he's a douche because of it if I wish as well.

Manning actually does a ton of things for charity. How is it treating fans poorly if they WANT To buy is autograph?

This is the athlete equivalent of opening up a lemonade stand to make some money from people who want some lemonade comrade. Making money from willing participants isn't "evil."

And rich athletes don't always stay rich forever. This is a good indication Peyton won't be the next Antoine Walker.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning actually does a ton of things for charity. How is it treating fans poorly if they WANT To buy is autograph?

This is the athlete equivalent of opening up a lemonade stand to make some money from people who want some lemonade comrade. Making money from willing participants isn't "evil."

And rich athletes don't always stay rich forever. This is a good indication Peyton won't be the next Antoine Walker.

Yeah, that terrible lemonade stand comp might make sense if Bill Gates is running the stand and charging $25 a glass.

That Antoine Walker comp is equally awful, given Manning's other business interests and likely next job either in an NFL front office or the booth.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Walker's problem wasn't that he was giving autographs away. His problem was that he was an arrogant idiot that liked to throw his money away on stupid shit thinking he was going to collect that game check for the rest of his life.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if a guy's autograph is worth that much money I don't see the problem collecting it. It was his natural talent and hard work that made it worth so much. I never understood the autograph thing either. Why should high profile athletes just give them away. If someone can turn around and sell it for 10 bucks to someone else then it's like them giving away 10 dollar bills.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, that terrible lemonade stand comp might make sense if Bill Gates is running the stand and charging $25 a glass.

That Antoine Walker comp is equally awful, given Manning's other business interests and likely next job either in an NFL front office or the booth.

The point is you're acting like he's doing something bad. Who exactly gets hurt by him offering a product for people who WANT to buy it? And who are you to say that rich people shouldn't continue to be involved in commerce? If you don't want to buy an autograph, you don't have to. It's win-win for Manning and people who want to buy an autograph.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Walker's problem wasn't that he was giving autographs away. His problem was that he was an arrogant idiot that liked to throw his money away on stupid shit thinking he was going to collect that game check for the rest of his life.

How do you know Manning doesn't have an equally expensive lifestyle?

Manning could wake up one day & play video games 'til dusk, and he would be hurting the same amount of people as if he offered autographs for money. The only difference is that people who wanted an autograph wouldn't have gotten one.

People criticizing this are trying WAY too hard to find fault in the guy. And it's not like I'm a Manning fan! And I can't stand Peyton f'ing Manning for snubbing the 49ers at a time he could've sleepwalked his way to winning multiple Super Bowls. :mad2:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niner...you've made your point. Others have made a different point. Nobody's wrong.

I heard on the radio today that the goalie from the 1980 miracle team is selling his jersey, stick, mask and sech. It's expected to fetch 5-7 million!

Wow.

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a dbag move for athletes as rich as him

So because he is rich, his time is worth nothing?

When autographs use to be all about the kids, I'd agree. Now it's about overgrown man-babies that live in mom's basement and do nothing but collect and sell autographed items.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So taking say $10,000 for autographs is "evil" in your eyes even though the guy gives away millions of dollars a year for charity? I mean why does this one pay check have to go straight to charity? I mean is it so bad for him to put this money in his bank account and then at the end of the year figure out where best to use his money to help others? Whether that $10,000 goes to charity now or at a later date I don't think should sower a person towards him as a person. He is one of the more giving athletes not only of his money but also of his time.