• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did we just ink Prince's replacement?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Bears land top CFL free agent Tre Roberson

Not sure the signing of a player in a skill position out of the CFL would normally constitute as the signing of a starter. But apparently the services of Tre Robertson have been in demand and he seemed to be wanted by a number of clubs. I titled this post as such because it's all but a foregone conclusion that Amukamara will not be with the Bears next year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana was decent that one year with him at QB.

Jus sayin...

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. Position of need filled with a solid-reasonable cost-player.

Now we just need some touchdowns on the other side....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he wont be starting. The CFL is for guys not good enough for the NFL. To come in and compete sure but to be counted on as a starter? Well I hope we have better plan then that.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he wont be starting. The CFL is for guys not good enough for the NFL. To come in and compete sure but to be counted on as a starter? Well I hope we have better plan then that.
Agree 100% noon. And I don't think the Bears are anointing him as a starter either. I kind of hyped up the thread with the way I titled it, primarily based on the hype his signing meant around the league. But I have to think going into camp the job is just as much Kevin Toliver's to lose than it is Robertson's to win. Still, gotta love good old fashioned competition and there's nothing wrong at all with secondary depth.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Wake came from the CFL. Just saying.

I think Tolliver held his own when on the field.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Wake came from the CFL. Just saying.

I think Tolliver held his own when on the field.

Agreed. If nothing else this adds depth and competition to the secondary. And perhaps an added bonus is with our limited number of picks for this coming draft, it should eliminate the need to take a DB with one of our two 2nd rounders. Doesn't make that a given, but it would allow Pace to focus on other team needs.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice signing. No reason why he shouldn't be given a shot to compete for a starting position. It's pretty wide open opposite Fuller right now.

And i hope we can re-sign Skrine. Dude never gets hurt and had a hell of a season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what you guys have seen with Tolliver but that guy gets his breaks beat off whenever I've seen him get a chance.

I like the signing. Roberson is a guy who had legit hype as a prospect coming from the CFL. He's a guy you heard quite a bit about, even before the Bears emerged as the top contender.

I think we also draft a corner in the mid-rounds somewhere. If we do let Prince walk, then there might just be a competition in camp between Roberson, Tolliver and the draft pick.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what you guys have seen with Tolliver but that guy gets his breaks beat off whenever I've seen him get a chance.

I like the signing. Roberson is a guy who had legit hype as a prospect coming from the CFL. He's a guy you heard quite a bit about, even before the Bears emerged as the top contender.

I think we also draft a corner in the mid-rounds somewhere. If we do let Prince walk, then there might just be a competition in camp between Roberson, Tolliver and the draft pick.

I thought the same thing after all the "He's CFL so he's garbage" innuendo...Since when is Tolliver some kind of great player that he couldn't be upended by ANY incoming DB? It's pretty laughable to think he's not replaceable because he's already in the NFL. I don't care if the source is the CFL or the California Penal League. FFS, Conte played for years in the NFL...I would have traded that guy for a used wetnap.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing after all the "He's CFL so he's garbage" innuendo...Since when is Tolliver some kind of great player that he couldn't be upended by ANY incoming DB? It's pretty laughable to think he's not replaceable because he's already in the NFL. I don't care if the source is the CFL or the California Penal League. FFS, Conte played for years in the NFL...I would have traded that guy for a used wetnap.

Yeah, I've heard a decent sized portion of Bears fans express some sort of admiration/intrigue pertaining to Tolliver. I remember thinking he was a good flier to take back when we drafted him. He's a big body who can play physical, come up and make a tackle. But he has just never shown anything in the way of getting better in coverage. That whole Dallas game when he started in place of Prince. I remember saying out loud "Every time they throw at Tolliver, it's a completion. I hope they don't figure this out." They did and went at him the whole last drive. He's the one who gave up the TD to Cooper. But... by that point the outcome was in hand.

He reminds me of Diondre Hall (another bigger, athletic DB) who had a couple of small flashes for us and everyone (myself included) wanted to see more of him. I also remember being a bit discouraged when we traded him for a 7th round pick to Philly. But then Philly turned around and cut him with final roster cuts. He hasn't played a down in the NFL since.

Schefter tweeted that Roberson is the unanimous top CFL prospect and had a 1/3 of the league offering him a deal. But that he handpicked the Bears from those options. Sure, maybe nothing comes from this. But I'm immediately more curious about him than I am seeing Tolliver run with the 1's come training camp.

I think people also have to realize that the reason he went to the CFL is that he played QB in college at ISU and that he didn't have a position going into the pros. This isn't a guy who simply wasn't a good enough DB in college to get drafted. This is a guy who only recently began playing DB and needed to learn the position.