• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez news

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Dallas can get this done today, and all parties can be somewhat happy if Dallas offered 6yrs/90mil/35-40mil guaranteed. With most/all the guaranteed money spread out over the first 4 years.

yr 1-2: 13 mil
yr 3-4: 15 mil
yr 5-6: 17 mil

In reality that contract is only 4yrs/56mil. Dez gets his guarantee, Dallas will lock him up for the rest of his prime and can cut bait after year 4. In exchange for the bump in guaranteed money Dallas gets to write in most of the language they want regarding player conduct/voiding guaranteed dollars. This would be a healthy compromise for both sides I believe.

I don't give him $15M per year and $35M-$40M guaranteed. Sorry, but I tag him before I do that. As far as it really being 4-$56M you need to give more detail before I can agree. You said before those are the cap hits. But year 5 includes 1/5th of the SB hit and year 6 doesn't. Plus if we cut him we still owe that portion of the SB for year 5, so I can't see how that is included in what you listed.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give him $15M per year and $35M-$40M guaranteed. Sorry, but I tag him before I do that. As far as it really being 4-$56M you need to give more detail before I can agree. You said before those are the cap hits. But year 5 includes 1/5th of the SB hit and year 6 doesn't. Plus if we cut him we still owe that portion of the SB for year 5, so I can't see how that is included in what you listed.

Year 5 of the signing bonus would be 3 million dollars. Dallas can walk away from 3 million dollars.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with that one. I think Dez wants more though. Heck, I go a little higher too probably.

Yea I would do that all day, but I think they are too low on the guaranteed dollars. Bump the guaranteed money up 5 million and it's not too far off of my proposal

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year 5 of the signing bonus would be 3 million dollars. Dallas can walk away from 3 million dollars.

They could for sure. So that would up it to 4-$59M? I was just looking at the math, not whether I thought it was good or not.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could for sure. So that would up it to 4-$59M? I was just looking at the math, not whether I thought it was good or not.

Oversight on my part. You're right, it would be 4yr/59mil with the 5th yr signing bonus money.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing with the high guaranteed money for Dez is it would surely prevent Dallas from restructuring him much. There wouldn't be much base salary to convert.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I would do that all day, but I think they are too low on the guaranteed dollars. Bump the guaranteed money up 5 million and it's not too far off of my proposal
I hate guaranteed contracts but that seems to be a trend in the NFL.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Cowboys offer Dez Bryant more than $12.8 million per year

Dez Bryant wants to get paid like one of the NFL's best receivers. And while the franchise tag does that, the Cowboys receiver is looking for something more than a one-year deal. How much more?

The Lions signed Calvin Johnson to a seven-year, $113 million extension in 2012, which works out to $16.1 million per season. Meanwhile, the Cowboys' original offer for Bryant was around $10 million per season over six years. And the franchise tag for wide receivers in 2015 is $12.83 million. And now, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the team has upped its offer to Bryant to more than $12.83 million.

Back in March Bryant tweeted that "$13 million is cool", referring to the franchise tag amount, before adding: "But where is my security? I'll wait ... Five years without complaining ... So how am I selfish?"

But if Bryant and the Cowboys don't agree on a long-term deal by 4 p.m. Wednesday, he will be forced to play on a one-year deal. And Bryant made it clear on Monday that without that new contract he won't be playing.

That runs counter to what owner Jerry Jones said last month.

“I have no doubt that when we play, if we're still in a franchise situation, I have no doubt that he'll be leading the way (Week 1) against the Giants,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “We just know how competitive Dez is and how much he wants to beat the Giants and how much he wants to support his teammates.”

In addition to that competitive spirit, the Cowboys may have other reasons for thinking Bryant will come around. Here's BleacherReport.com's Jason Cole on July 3: "... [T]he Cowboys believe that Bryant ultimately needs the money, that he has money problems, and that either he will sign the tender for approximately $13 million for a franchise player or will ultimately sign the long-term deal by July 15."

We'll repeat here what we've written previously: Whatever Bryant's financial situation, NFL holdouts basically boil down to this: Are you a franchise quarterback? Yes? You have all the leverage and you will get paid. No? You have little-to-no leverage and you will have to show up to work. You can either do that now and avoid fines and lost salary, or later, with the promise of a smaller paycheck.

Hall of Fame wide receiver and former Cowboys great Michael Irvin (not surprisingly) disagrees.

"Who really has the leverage here? You think you're going on that football field without Dez Bryant? I was reading the articles today buddy," Irvin told "The Rich Eisen Show this week. "I was reading about how great Terrance Williams is doing. All that stuff is for Dez to read. It's easy to do great in minicamp.

"But if you think you see better than 8-8 without Dez Bryant, I'm telling you, you will not see better than 8-8 without 88."

That's probably overstating things, but even Irvin admits that Bryant won't hold out forever.

"[He] is not going to miss the whole season. He's not going to do that," Irvin said. "He'll make his point and hold out a game. $800,000 is a lot of money. But not when it's on top of $13 million. I think Dez can make due with $12 million. He'll sit out if he won't get it but he won't sit out the year."

The question becomes can Dez "make due" with a little more than $12 million as part of that long-term deal the Cowboys now reportedly have on the table.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they might have something. Just read that Dez is meeting with the team shortly. This is good news! If a deal gets done, I'll be real interested to see the numbers.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2:36 p.m. ET: If the Cowboys were sweating this deal, there's going to be a lot less sweat at Valley Ranch because this deal might not actually go down to the 4 p.m. deadline. Ian Rapoport has reported that the two sides are finalized a deal.

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done Deal!! 5/$70 more details to come