• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dez Bryants Extension talks/rumors

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Cowboys LT Tyron Smith's new contract makes an extension for Dez Bryant "nearly impossible."

Rapoport added there had been "little progress anyway," and that Dez "may benefit from playing it out." Dez wants to be paid like one of the top receivers in the league, but the Cowboys have reservations about handing a big-money extension to a player with the injury and the off-the-field history of Bryant. Dallas' train wreck of a salary-cap also does not help the situation. Bryant is set to make $1.78 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill says the Cowboys have "plenty of space" under the salary cap to extend Dez Bryant.

This conflicts with a report from Ian Rapoport, who said Tyron Smith's $98 million extension would make a new contract for Bryant "nearly impossible." Hill disagrees, saying the Cowboys still have "a little less that $10 million" in cap space. Regardless of the logistics, it does not appear Dallas and Dez are close to an agreement.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he hasn't been injury prone and his off field nonsense was years ago. sounds like bullshit from a douchebag analyst.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he hasn't been injury prone and his off field nonsense was years ago. sounds like bullshit from a douchebag analyst.

yeah Ian Rapoport, definitely doesn't sound like a fan of Dez.

but to be honest. I still worry about handing him a long term contract myself.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rapaport is off base on this. This was as Dez friendly as possible. Heck, this deal only added $2M to this years cap and to next years cap and we still have a lot of space in this year if we wanted to restructure Dez right now. I still say that pushing back so much of Romos contract this year had to be for both Dez and Smith or it was just asinine. Not sure if Rapaport was looking at numbers or just assuming we couldn't sign both.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah Ian Rapoport, definitely doesn't sound like a fan of Dez.

but to be honest. I still worry about handing him a long term contract myself.

Jerry is going to have to decide to trust Dez or not. If he doesn't then he shouldn't pay the big bucks. I'd hate to see him go.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its time to trust Dez. I have grown to love the guy

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry is going to have to decide to trust Dez or not. If he doesn't then he shouldn't pay the big bucks. I'd hate to see him go.

Not to worry. I am fairly confident the Cowboys extend Dez. I may not be 100% sold on him, but Jerry isn't letting Dez walk away.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Dez being here for a yr longer than Smith, Im wondering how he is really taking this. I have no doubt that he will be resigned.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be a no-brainer and I understand getting Smith extended. Good o-linemen are much harder to find than good WR's.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to worry. I am fairly confident the Cowboys extend Dez. I may not be 100% sold on him, but Jerry isn't letting Dez walk away.

And that right there is the key. Dez is going nowhere

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way I would have been happy to see him go would have been in a trade. It would have been a Kings ransom.

That said, I don't have a problem with paying market rate to keep him. In the Red zone, he is impossible to handle, and he gets doubled alot so he is a great decoy.

I've said this before, I think opposing teams spend more time prepping for Dez then any other player. Maybe Romo is the exception.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I don't have a problem with paying market rate to keep him. In the Red zone, he is impossible to handle, and he gets doubled alot so he is a great decoy.

I've said this before, I think opposing teams spend more time prepping for Dez then any other player. Maybe Romo is the exception.

Agree with all of this 100%. Dez is a touchdown machine and simply can make plays that the rest of the league (save for 1 or 2 other guys) can't. I think he still has a lot of room to grow as he continues to learn the X's and O's.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rapaport is off base on this. This was as Dez friendly as possible. Heck, this deal only added $2M to this years cap and to next years cap and we still have a lot of space in this year if we wanted to restructure Dez right now. I still say that pushing back so much of Romos contract this year had to be for both Dez and Smith or it was just asinine. Not sure if Rapaport was looking at numbers or just assuming we couldn't sign both.

I'm not a cap expert, but I see it this way too. Smiths deal takes very little of the cap in 14, and we already know Romo will have to redo his deal again in 15. Smiths deal doesn't stop Byrant from signing. Bryant contract demands or the amounts the Cowboys are willing to give might derail the talks though.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Cowboys LT Tyron Smith's new contract makes an extension for Dez Bryant "nearly impossible."

Rapoport added there had been "little progress anyway," and that Dez "may benefit from playing it out." Dez wants to be paid like one of the top receivers in the league, but the Cowboys have reservations about handing a big-money extension to a player with the injury and the off-the-field history of Bryant. Dallas' train wreck of a salary-cap also does not help the situation. Bryant is set to make $1.78 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill says the Cowboys have "plenty of space" under the salary cap to extend Dez Bryant.

This conflicts with a report from Ian Rapoport, who said Tyron Smith's $98 million extension would make a new contract for Bryant "nearly impossible." Hill disagrees, saying the Cowboys still have "a little less that $10 million" in cap space. Regardless of the logistics, it does not appear Dallas and Dez are close to an agreement.

Ian Rapoport is full of shit as a Christmas goose if he thinks Jerry ''can't'' sign anyone he wants to. What team has he been watching for 25 years?:L

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you franchise Dez and make sure that back hold up

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just remember that if you do that it is a straight hit to the cap. There is no spreading it out or getting creative in any way.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dumb idea. You franchise him, pay him 12+M, and his back holds up. WTF did that prove? You will still need to pay him top dollar and if he improves much more his worth will climb meaning he will demand more. Never want to franchise unless you cannot come to an agreement.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Dez being here for a yr longer than Smith, Im wondering how he is really taking this. I have no doubt that he will be resigned.

I can't speak for Dez, but he shouldnt be affected by this at all. Tyron Smith is clearly the better player and far more important to this team.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for Dez, but he shouldnt be affected by this at all. Tyron Smith is clearly the better player and far more important to this team.

Earl that is definitely a loaded up statement. Im not saying you are wrong either. I seriously do not think Dez or his agent would believe that though .

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl that is definitely a loaded up statement. Im not saying you are wrong either. I seriously do not think Dez or his agent would believe that though .

I don't see where Earl suggests Dez does or should believe it. Now anyone without an emotional interest should feel that way though.