• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2018 Thread

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Rod and Mario out as broadcasters....

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...d-allen-wont-back-tigers-tv-booth/1583978002/

What began as season-ending suspensions for Tigers television announcers Mario Impemba and Rod Allen has led to their ouster as Detroit baseball fixtures.

Two announcers who together worked more than 2,000 games since coming to Detroit have been jettisoned, with Impemba’s representatives already informed of Fox Sports Detroit’s decision, and Allen’s side yet working on an exit agreement.

Neither the Tigers, nor Fox Sports Detroit, would comment Tuesday night.

Impemba’s contract, which ran through 2018 and is estimated to have paid him more than $500,000 annually, will not be renewed. Allen likewise had a one-year deal, with a salary pegged at about $350,000, and had a network option for 2019 that attorneys are working to settle, according to sources familiar with each broadcaster who asked to remain nameless because of legal sensitivities.

Their exit from the FSD booth ends what long had been an edgy, sometimes hostile, partnership that exploded during a postgame confrontation Sept. 4 at Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago, during which Allen allegedly had his hands on Impemba’s neck.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Rod and Mario out as broadcasters....

Probably not a good idea to get into a publicized altercation a month before your contracts expire.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see multi millionaires in their retirement age wanting to do a broadcast every day for a team they aren't tied to already. Don't get me wrong, Michaels or Costas would be awesome to watch nightly. But it'd be for 10 times what Mario made. Atleast.

Turico works for another network. I think that's impossible. And it's a great gig he has. If he worked for Fox...

Matt Shepard, Dan Dickerson, Craig Monroe, Gibby and maybe a recently retired guy or someone Sniped from another franchise. Like Mario from Anaheim.

Gus Johnson is a Detroit guy and works for FOX. Maybe he joins the rotation?

I love Dan on the radio, hope he stay safe with Jim. Really enjoy their broadcasts together.

Frank Beckmann would make me happy. But I don't know if he'd do it. Wish he still did Michigan games.

Blaha must not want to do baseball? He'd lose golf time, that's for sure.

Throw huge money at Smoltz...

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....maybe a recently retired guy or someone Sniped from another franchise. Like Mario from Anaheim.

Gus Johnson is a Detroit guy and works for FOX. Maybe he joins the rotation?

Throw huge money at Smoltz...

I'd say it's most likely they get someone from another franchise .... and pairing that guy with Smoltz being the analyst would be fantastic!

MGoBlue17

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Shepard, Dan Dickerson, Craig Monroe, Gibby and maybe a recently retired guy or someone Sniped from another franchise. Like Mario from Anaheim.

I say give Matt Shepard a chance...he did a solid job at the end of the season. Maybe rotate Gibby with another analyst. I like Dan and Price on the radio.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3/24 Tigers Lineup vs. TOR:

1. Harrison 2B
2. Castellanos RF
3. Cabrera DH
4. Goodrum LF