• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price named day one starter. No surprise there. Been awhile seeing someone other than JV on the bump day one, or not being considered the #1 in many eyes. Hoping his ego creates a friendly competition to seem better than Price. (Never happen) but be nice to hope he pitches well locating his pitches with lower velocity.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romine making the team is a waste of everyone's time. He isn't that great of defender... and when Don Kelly is a superior offensive option... you should just be sent packing. Perez has much more value... as does collins.

Yeah, almost looks like they are trying to make Romine this year's Don Kelly. I hope not. You are correct on his defense. For all that Rod & Mario liked to rave about Romine's D, the combo of him and Suarez as SS was minus-10 in DRS last year (10 worse in runs saved compared to the league average). Romine has very good range and soft hands, but his noodle arm kinda defeats that. I can't count the number of plays where he ranged to the hole on the 3B side nicely, only to make a grandma throw to 1B that got to Cabby's glove well after the runner was safe.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Mario off Fox SD? If so, why?

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price named day one starter. No surprise there. Been awhile seeing someone other than JV on the bump day one, or not being considered the #1 in many eyes. Hoping his ego creates a friendly competition to seem better than Price. (Never happen) but be nice to hope he pitches well locating his pitches with lower velocity.
I was hoping Kate Upton might get the call. Hey, Bill Veck would be proud of this stunt.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, almost looks like they are trying to make Romine this year's Don Kelly. I hope not. You are correct on his defense. For all that Rod & Mario liked to rave about Romine's D, the combo of him and Suarez as SS was minus-10 in DRS last year (10 worse in runs saved compared to the league average). Romine has very good range and soft hands, but his noodle arm kinda defeats that. I can't count the number of plays where he ranged to the hole on the 3B side nicely, only to make a grandma throw to 1B that got to Cabby's glove well after the runner was safe.

When you said Saurez, I curled up in the corner waiting to be kicked again. I got hammered last year after about his 10th game. Mentioning his defense. All I heard was how he rated to be a special kid. Well he might be one day. It sure was not what I saw early on. IMO it got worse at the season went on. Man I sure hope Iggy stays healthy. Be nice to see a stout middle this year.

Why you picking on grandmama?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news bad news for the tigers. Price should have a monster year and be in serious al cy young talks. Also he probably wont resign and hopefully the tigers dont make the same mistake they made with scherzer.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is playing for money. I think its in the Tiger's bet interest to let him play in a contact year instead of lock him up. The Tigers are going to go as far as the bullpen takes them this year. If the young guys step up.. they could make another run. If the bullpen struggles, I don't see the starters being able to eat the innings like years past. I never doubt DD though... as come trade deadline... Its almost a given the Tigers will get some kind of shot in the arm to where ever they are weakest. I am hoping the Tigers draft 2 pitchers this year with their 2 first rounders, one a high ceiling young guy and 1 a college arm that can move fast through the system. This draft could go a long way to rebuilding the farm. It only takes 1 or 2 good draft/signing periods to inject some good young talent to a team. They need to stay away from the long term contracts for 30+ year olds for a few years and add youth. The Tigers will however have a ton of money to play with for free agents next year. (something like 65mil coming off the books)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
avila - 5 mil
price - 19 mil
cespedes - 10 mil
simon - 5 mil
nathan - 10 mil
soria - 7 mil
davis - 5 mil
joba - 1mil
gorzlenny - 1 mil

That is all I can think of off the top of my head... but plenty of contract years out there... and plenty of money to fill holes after the season is over, with many of the holes fillable by internal guys like moya,collins, fields, and the young pitchers in aaa.

I could see DD spending a ton on starters next offseason and leaving the other roster spots to be filled internally. Price being the best target because they wouldn't lose a first rounder to sign him and he is the best pitcher out there... I hate having all these roster spots locked up for 6-7 years by aging vets... it is what it is I guess.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news bad news for the tigers. Price should have a monster year and be in serious al cy young talks. Also he probably wont resign and hopefully the tigers dont make the same mistake they made with scherzer.
If we aren't right at the top of the division and clicking at the deadline I think DD will shop him.

Has Ryan Perry pitched much this spring? Did we by chance cut him without me noticing and celebrating?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft them Friday night arms from college. Those are the kids that normally pan out somewhere within your system.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Ryan Perry pitched much this spring? Did we by chance cut him without me noticing and celebrating?

Perry was sent directly to minor league camp I think. He didn't pitch at all in spring training games from what I saw. He didn't get cut. He is on a minor league contract so it has little if any risk.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft them Friday night arms from college. Those are the kids that normally pan out somewhere within your system.
I agree. But with 2 first rounders this year... the Tigers can either go safe route and go 2 college starters... or go safe with one pick and roll the dice on a high ceiling guy with the second. I would love to see the Tigers have a legit starting pitching prospect in the minors again. Its been a while... They have a farm system filled with guys that have a ceiling of #3 and are most likely back end starters or relievers... Eventually they need to get 1 or 2 young starters out of their farm to take some of the pressure off the salary being spent on starting pitching. They have a good chance of finding a #4-#5 out of what they have in Greene, Lobstein, Farmer, Ryan, Ziomek, or Kubitza... now they need to find a young guy with higher ceiling than a guy that can just make it a whole season with an era under 4.5... cause that is all I would expect from those guys. I actually would love for them to go after a young cuban pitcher like Vladimir Gutierrez and Yadier Alvares.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard they might have a exhibition MLB game in Cuba next year. That would be huge in Cuba. I mean... the people there would go nuts. I have spoken with people that lived in Cuba and they told me they listen to MLB games on the radio.

Anyone think the Tigers would aggressively start scouting in Cuba if the island was opened up? They seem to just stick to putting their resources in Venezuela and a little in Dominican. Tigers are one of the leaders in finding diamonds in the rough from Venezuela for sure.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course when Cuba opens up the Tigers will go there. I was there this winter and the people I talk to were very knowledgeable about Major League Baseball and knew where all the Cuban players were playing and their salaries. one guy I talked to new Yonas Cespedes would be a free agent next year I told him the Tigers would sign him again I hope. A team that has Cuban players already should have a heads up when the island opens. I could have sold or given away a ton of tiger hats or t-shirts. They love them already. ...A lot of talk about the White Sox....

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see Miggy in the lineup 1 for 3 yesterday.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mendoza line .200
Oyler line .135
Iggy Spring training .091

Hope he finds his bat or he'll be HP's defensive replacement for the year.
Opening Day one week away.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mendoza line .200
Oyler line .135
Iggy Spring training .091
Hope he finds his bat or he'll be HP's defensive replacement for the year.
Opening Day one week away.

It's a combination of small sample size (33 at-bats) plus a year away from the game. Ausmus says he isn't worried because Iggy has only struck out 2 times in those at-bats. Perhaps he isn't hitting it as sharply as he'd like, but he's putting the ball in play and a lot of them just aren't finding holes.

I'm a bit more concerned about Alfredo Simon's 7.02 spring ERA, though that is also in a small sample.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a combination of small sample size (33 at-bats) plus a year away from the game. Ausmus says he isn't worried because Iggy has only struck out 2 times in those at-bats. Perhaps he isn't hitting it as sharply as he'd like, but he's putting the ball in play and a lot of them just aren't finding holes.

I'm a bit more concerned about Alfredo Simon's 7.02 spring ERA, though that is also in a small sample.

You're right Howie it is a small sample size but the biggest concern is being out a year how long will it take to find his stroke, It took V Mart half a year to find his after being out a year and Iggy is no V Mart at the plate.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iggy doesn't need to hit much higher than .230 to be a huge asset. Perez is going to hit. I bet that kid hits around .300. I actually never could figure out why Perez wasn't hyped more... he has hit at all levels and has the glove to play 2nd and SS.

Miggy / Cespedes / Vmart all HR today. That will not be the last time this year they all go yard in a game. Tigers 2-3-4-5-6 is going to be scary if they all stay healthy. Kinlser hitting 2nd, Miggy 3rd, vmart 4th, cespedes 5th, JD 6th? Wow. Even if Kinsler leads off... that is a a scary run for any pitcher.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was listening todsy when VMart went deep. Definitely nice to hear.

I think we'll see Kinsler, Cespedes, Miggy, VMart, JD, 1-5 most of the season once things shake out. But id prefer Kinsler in the two hole and Cespedes lower in the lineup.