• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome man!

Does he play year round down there?

My JV kids keep bugging me to open the gym on weekends. But I'm holding strong on the they gotta wait till after New Years.

Ya, down here baseball is a year round thing......He plays for his High school and travel ball teams.....They go all over the place in the south.....He's even being recruited by a travel ball team in Michigan for this summer......We were thinking how the hell did they get our info living down here in TN.

He pitched yesterday for the Head Coach and pitching coach of Kentucky.......When teams like that want to see you, something is right.

He's been coached for years by the pitching coach of APSU......The local college here in Clarksville.....SEC and PAC 12 is big boy country for baseball.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, down here baseball is a year round thing......He plays for his High school and travel ball teams.....They go all over the place in the south.....He's even being recruited by a travel ball team in Michigan for this summer......We were thinking how the hell did they get our info living down here in TN.

He pitched yesterday for the Head Coach and pitching coach of Kentucky.......When teams like that want to see you, something is right.

He's been coached for years by the pitching coach of APSU......The local college here in Clarksville.....SEC and PAC 12 is big boy country for baseball.
Big advantage with the all year round ball. We were able to practice outside once last year before our first doubleheader. Made for some less than impressive play. Lol

That's great that your nephew is doing so well. Always happy to hear when baseball opens doors for a kid.

Yeah, college ball isn't a real big deal here. Still plenty of talent, but nothing like the south. Always crazy when I'm down there in the winter and college games are on the radio. Or even crazier, sports talk radio is focussed on college baseball.

Let me know if he opts to play for that team out of Michigan. I'm always game to watch a game. (I know of a couple out of Gr and one out of Kzoo that go e'rywhere. I'm sure there are tons on the east side..)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids down here in Miami never stop playing... Its a HUGE advantage. Not only that.. but in certain neighborhoods.. baseball is the sport you play if you want to be popular. Hialeah, Kendall, Doral, or Davie... those area's pump out MLB talent. Heck.. Al Avila lives in the Hialeah area in the offseason and Alex Avila grew up there, so did Manny Machado, ... One of the Cubs top prospects Almonte is from Hialeah... JD Martinez grew up not far from there.. as did Nick Castellanos. The Tigers alone have a handful of connections to Hialeah/Miami Fl. Scott Boras has a sports training center near Hialeah too... so a lot of his clients come there in the offseason to train or get treatment for injuries. I see Miggy down here all the time. Baseball is just different down here. Football is huge.. but baseball is easily #2... high school basketball takes a backseat to it. In some areas... Baseball is easily #1.

I remember growing up in Michigan and having to throw indoors and then have the first game come.. and be thinking.. shit this sucks...

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember growing up in Michigan and having to throw indoors and then have the first game come.. and be thinking.. shit this sucks...

Yep, I was a catcher and had to start working out with the pitchers in the gym in late February. First game usually preceded the MLB opening day... like the last week of March. God, those games in the wind, freezing rain and 35-degree temps were a treat.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I was a catcher and had to start working out with the pitchers in the gym in late February. First game usually preceded the MLB opening day... like the last week of March. God, those games in the wind, freezing rain and 35-degree temps were a treat.
I remember thinking to myself... baseball isn't meant to be played in weather like this...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you guys.. but the field was always either frozen or mush too... god that first month or so sucked ass playing in northern michigan.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo Smitty......My nephew is getting letters from colleges.....Eastern Kentucky, Ohio, Kentucky and a few others.....He went to UK yesterday to throw in front of the coaches.......I'll keep ya posted but no doubt in my mind he's going to get a scholarship somewhere.....He's still a junior in High school.

That is awesome, Muzz.

My older brother was drafted out of high school by Kansas City in the 19th round, but declined and went to college on a partial scholarship (Eastern Michigan) instead. (He got to face Roger Clemens in the College W.S. in 1982.) After his junior year of college, Minnesota drafted him in the 3rd round. He played with Kirby Puckett in A-ball. Played a couple years in Toledo when it was briefly a Twins AAA affiliate. A couple of freak injuries in back-to-back Augusts kept him out of The Show.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Iffy's pleasure.. I would like to report that Hernan Perez is absolutely destroying winter league play... after batting .270 in 90 games with the Brewers...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is awesome, Muzz.

My older brother was drafted out of high school by Kansas City in the 19th round, but declined and went to college on a partial scholarship (Eastern Michigan) instead. (He got to face Roger Clemens in the College W.S. in 1982.) After his junior year of college, Minnesota drafted him in the 3rd round. He played with Kirby Puckett in A-ball. Played a couple years in Toledo when it was briefly a Twins AAA affiliate. A couple of freak injuries in back-to-back Augusts kept him out of The Show.

That's cool....I always liked Kirby Puckett even with the Twinkies being a rival.

I'm not fooling myself, making the bigs is a 1 in many million shot, but getting a scholarship at a good university is impressive and life changing. He's a good kid with a good head and lots of family support.......I'll keep ya guys posted with any new info.

I was reading the Tigers 2016 board and made it to page two and had to stop reading.....Way too much Raburn Love for me......If that POS is on the Tigers roster this year I'm going to go postal....I spent years bitching about that guy and rejoiced when he was gone.....It's like bringing back Orlovsky......Come on we don't need those guys.,....

Pelfrey will probably be my new whooping horse this year.....Bad deal.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did the Tigers not go after Fister?

burf - are you busy stomping the campaign trail with Bernie Sanders? I know you live in Canada, but you must be worried about the influx of Americans in November if a certain narcissistic blowhard gets elected. :)

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
burf - are you busy stomping the campaign trail with Bernie Sanders? I know you live in Canada, but you must be worried about the influx of Americans in November if a certain narcissistic blowhard gets elected. :)

Bernie is very close in Vermont. He is like an uncle to us Canadians. Anyone is welcome here as long as they don't bring Trump or send Cruz back here