• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This! They traded the wrong starting pitcher. All of the other offseason moves I can get behind. Trading fielder? Hell yeah, amazing move. Signing chamberlain and bringing coke back? Meh, they are taking cheap risks, we shall see. Im neutral toward it. Signing davis? I like the speed and it solidifies the other outfield spot with a platoon but a bit pricey for a platoon player. Signing nathan, excellent. Many fans myself included thought DDs biggest mistake last season was not finding a legit closer so I cant complain that he found one. But I cannot get past the fister deal. I mean we hardly knew her, and hes gone!

Yeah bringing coke back didnt make sense.....

Wish davis and nathan were on last yrs team.....but its going to come down to nicky C hitting this year....if he does, will be ok, if he struggles were in trouble.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the right handed other half Jabba the Hut

Right.....we needed to fix the pen and we got joba and coke for a nice 1-2.....not to mention the 1-2 combo of never knowing what youre going to get of AL AL and rondon...

Ive never liked joba, but hopefully a change of scenery may help?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year the Pen was a huge mess. Coke, Al A, Dotel, and insert name of AAA call up!

Outside of Smyly nothing was a sure thing. Benoit even struggled until the was given the closer role. The only bright spot is Papa Grande is not on the team!

Krol will be hard pressed to match Smyly, Coke is well Coke! Nathan was a nice addition, and Joba can not be any worse than Valverde/AAA Guy. I can't see the pen as getting better. The Tigers still are in need of a quality guy if Rondon has another lapse of control problems, and I would think he will.

It still makes me scratch my head we could not have pried loose Storen or Clippard in the Fister deal.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah im just like forget it.....for once i disagree with the moves and im a skys falling type of fan.....just think detroits number one need of fixing the BP hasnt happened....yeah nathan is huge, but closer wasnt a huge problem last year. Getting thru the 6-7-8 innings was, once the BP was called in.

Well closer was a huge problem the beginning of the season with rondon and valverde but once JL did what most fans thought he should and made benoit closer than they were fine bu at the same time that took a reliable arm out of the setup role.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still holding judgement unitl i see our new guys on the field.....I'm ok with the Kinsler for Prince money deal, but still can't wrap my head around the Fister deal until i see the guys we got in the English D playing.....My head says it's a bad deal, but maybe I'm missing something.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Tigers might be interested in Irvin Santana. I like him more than most but hate that we would have to give up a pick to sign him. If we did, I would hope (and expect) that DD has a deal waiting to move Max.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard the Tigers might be interested in Irvin Santana. I like him more than most but hate that we would have to give up a pick to sign him. If we did, I would hope (and expect) that DD has a deal waiting to move Max.

I saw that and I would expect Max to be moved if Detroit signed Santana. The draft pick would be inconsequential as I would expect Detroit to deal for prospects and young talent. So whatever they lost on ES they would get back when they moved Max.

But it leads back to "why the fuck did we give Fister away if we were moving Max?"

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it leads back to "why the fuck did we give Fister away if we were moving Max?"

Agreed. I suspect we are never going to get an answer to that. I also can't see us giving Santana $15MM/yr unless DD has a really good offer for Max in his pocket.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes no sense to me....fister is better....ervin will have a good year, then 2-3 bad yrs......too inconsistent....then what? We would have 6 starters.....we NEED BP help.....reading mlive "questions mailbag" earlier.......couldnt find many fans who liked the fister trade.....and many fans thought our BP was no better....including the beat writer answering the questions....

And it said DD said the BP is complete....:noidea:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense to me....fister is better....ervin will have a good year, then 2-3 bad yrs......too inconsistent....then what? We would have 6 starters.....we NEED BP help.....reading mlive "questions mailbag" earlier.......couldnt find many fans who liked the fister trade.....and many fans thought our BP was no better....including the beat writer answering the questions....
I tend to agree that I would rather have Fister than Santana, especially considering the salary disparity. I will say that DD loves strikeout pitchers but I would guess including the Tiger's name is a ruse from the players agent to drum up price/interest.
My feeling is that the BP is on par with last season's for the regular season but I do maintain that I would prefer the current version if the Tigers make the playoffs, especially if Rondon can live up to expectations.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I suspect we are never going to get an answer to that. I also can't see us giving Santana $15MM/yr unless DD has a really good offer for Max in his pocket.

I think a lot has to do with the length of the contract he is offering. Max will want JV money for 10 years would be my guess. No easy answer as I like Max but being on the hook for the length and cash is a tough one.

I guess it depends on what comes back for Max.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you take a WS Championship with Maxs' next contract If you knew it would only be 1 Championship if the contract meant you wouldn't get another one for 10 years?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, but I won't be on this board for the holidays. Stayed away this weekend....and came back to just more doom and gloom and negativity. It's the the Holidays. I'm even enjoying the Lions' game. Looking like the Lions are going to mess up in front of a national audience. Well - what else WOULD they do? Christmas is a time of TRADITION. The Lions need to keep THEIR tradition alive as the worst sports franchise.

Have a great holiday people! Don't pull out all your hair before New Years.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, but I won't be on this board for the holidays. Stayed away this weekend....and came back to just more doom and gloom and negativity. It's the the Holidays. I'm even enjoying the Lions' game. Looking like the Lions are going to mess up in front of a national audience. Well - what else WOULD they do? Christmas is a time of TRADITION. The Lions need to keep THEIR tradition alive as the worst sports franchise.

Have a great holiday people! Don't pull out all your hair before New Years.

Looks like christmas came early this year for all of us. Thanks for the break!

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has the Detroit Tigers Bullpen Improved? - Motor City Bengals - A Detroit Tigers Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

Good link that sums up the prospects of the Tiger's '14 BP as it is currently constructed.

Pretty much what i said...benoit was great...nathan was better......rondon is a big IF.....

Nobody trusts coke...

Smyly is was better than krol...

Joba isnt as good as dotel....

And a bunch of the same garbage we had last year....

You still have to get the ball to the 9th inning....

Just not comfortable with rondon, joba, coke, krol, al al, and any other guy from AAA they bring up. Gonna be hard to win with speed and defense with a weak pen.....a good closer doesnt make a weak pen good....especially when your closer last yr did a great job.

At least we got rid of valverde....now.....how long before coke gets cut? Hes the next valverde with 9 tiger lives.