• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dave D is trying to position the Tigers into a long term contender. Getting young guys with affordable contracts while shedding the long term money owed to Prince was the first step.

Fister had two years left before he was an URFA. He would also have been 31 years old. So I get the trade, not the return but the trade and if Dave D is sure of the guys he got then Ray and Krol both should contribute. Although jury is out, especially since the Blue Jays wanted Fister as well.

Castellanos is young and under team control as well as Inglesias.

But today right now the Tigers are not better than they were at years end. And if Detroit could not get to the World Series with what they had I don't think they can get their with what they have. Dave D has said he doesn't plan on being in on any big FA but I have to think Detroit still has 1 or 2 moves left to make.

Detroit is not a playoff contender but a World Series Contender and I can't see them backing off so close.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But today right now the Tigers are not better than they were at years end. And if Detroit could not get to the World Series with what they had I don't think they can get their with what they have. Dave D has said he doesn't plan on being in on any big FA but I have to think Detroit still has 1 or 2 moves left to make.

I get what you are saying but disagree in the conclusion. Detroit is less talented on paper but would likely still win the division. Once in the playoffs, I think the '14 team will be better positioned to get to, and win, the WS. Better defense, bullpen, and more consistent hitting will augment the strength of the team, starting pitching.
Rondon and Castellanos are the key to the season as the team looks now. If Nick C struggles at the plate, it will really hurt with Miggy getting walked a ton. If he can hit for power, he can move into the 4 slot and protect Miggy. I think Rondon can fill the set-up role perfectly if he can control his pitches.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dave D is trying to position the Tigers into a long term contender. Getting young guys with affordable contracts while shedding the long term money owed to Prince was the first step.

Fister had two years left before he was an URFA. He would also have been 31 years old. So I get the trade, not the return but the trade and if Dave D is sure of the guys he got then Ray and Krol both should contribute. Although jury is out, especially since the Blue Jays wanted Fister as well.

Detroit is not a playoff contender but a World Series Contender and I can't see them backing off so close.

Right now, yes. But I have it on my own authority that the tigers will sign choo and a set up man. They will then be better than last years squad imo, although the fister trade is still a headscratcher. I get it, make the trade to free up some finances, but at least get someone in return anyone. I guess DD is sold on scherzer repeatin his success of 2013. I think scherzer is a good pitcher, but Im still not sold on him consistently staying elite. Only time will tell, he definitely has about 250 million reasons to prove it this year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now on any time the tigers or another team make a boneheaded signing or trade we should say they got fistered.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Tigers are in good shape right now. But there will be more moves to come, just not big ones unless DD is bluffing.......The team speed and D has improved greatly over last season....DD said he expect Dirks to have a season more like he did in 2012, played through injuries last season....he also said they could sign a player like 2E to fill in against lefties....
Jalopy....good game last nite, Soo out shot London 45-36.....Soo record 19-6-0-3=41pts....London 42pts

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....but burf? Dirks in LF? Nicky C at 3B? .
That was a question......It looks like from what DD said today that is where they are right now. Can't always take him at his word....Can't a $10 million player at every position.....VMart doesn't just have to hit HRs to protect Miggy, hitting .300 will go along way to do that too.....DD said they weren't going to sign Benoit either....

I dont see that....why would you NOT walk miggy? Vmart either singles or ground outs.....if he singles....miggy goes to 2B....and our 5-9 hitters are nothing great......but i see vmart hitting into a tiger record for DP's.....

Mark my words...if detroit doesnt get another bat and another BP piece....we will not win the division....ill eat crow if im wrong....but this lineup got worse....our pitching got worse....i dont see improvements to the BP.

Now i heard DD wants dirks to start in LF and hes putting faith in rondon AGAIN....this time to be a set up man..

We lose fielder, peralta, infante......we gain kinsler and lombardozzi......and nicky c will play

We lose fister and replace him with smyly

We lose benoit smyly and veras from BP....add nathan...going with rondon, al al, coke, and kroll...

I just dont see the upgrades.....at least fans who cried about fielder, speed, money, and defense got what they wanted....but yet the tigers weakness was the BP....but yet its the same bums while adding kroll and nathan...and kroll? Im not buying him.

Kinsler
Hunter
Miggy
Vmart
Nick c
Avila
Dirks
Ajax
Iggy

Thats weak.....anyone that dont think miggy will be walked a ton is crazy....vmart a yr older and slower with 10-15 HR power at best. Better hope nicky c is the real deal.....because once you get by vmart, theres not much offense left...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be an up grade at every infield position on D.... 3rd.Nick C +, ss Iggy +. 2nd Kinslar+ , 1st Miggy +....Alex who knows???

Great we will have great defense.....too bad we wont score runs....but hey, everyone thinks kinsler is great, even tho he hasnt had a great year for like 5 yrs now. Dirks cant hit....avila is garbage....nicky c is a prospect and we all know about detroit hitting prospects....ajax cant hit....iggy cant hit...but we got defense in the IF now so certain fans will be happy....plus they wont have to watch prince struggle in the playoffs.....even tho i doubt we will make it there without him and fister...

Sure hope im wrong, but im not feeling these moves.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Long term? By getting young guys?

People just act like nicky c will come in and do fine....ive seen way too many tiger prospects suck..

Contend in the long run? Paying max a kings ransom? Paying miggy a ransom when hes going to be on the older side of his prime? I just dont see it.

Weve been so close....shouldve just upgraded the BP and left it at that...

The fister trade was horrible.....couldve at least gotten one decent reliever id think. Otherwise we shouldve just kept him.

I understand the fielder trade, but if you make that trade, you have to at least try and fill his bat in the lineup....im not sold on kinsler to be that guy.....pretty much kinsler, nicky c are filling in for prince and omar....yuck......iggy for peralta.......just dont see any offense

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying but disagree in the conclusion. Detroit is less talented on paper but would likely still win the division. Once in the playoffs, I think the '14 team will be better positioned to get to, and win, the WS. Better defense, bullpen, and more consistent hitting will augment the strength of the team, starting pitching.
Rondon and Castellanos are the key to the season as the team looks now. If Nick C struggles at the plate, it will really hurt with Miggy getting walked a ton. If he can hit for power, he can move into the 4 slot and protect Miggy. I think Rondon can fill the set-up role perfectly if he can control his pitches.

Better bullpen? How

They lost benoit, veras and smyly....have added kroll and nathan....benoit didnt blow many saves. Wasnt our closers fault. Was our middle relief.......as of now our BP is kroll coke al al rondon and nathan.....that is not an upgrade.

Consistent hitting? Who? Dirks? Nicky c? Avila? Iggy? Ajax? Kinsler? .......wheres the consistent hitters?

I just dont have faith in nick c....wish we still had garcia now. And great another year where we put our chips all in with rondon...

I think youre selling the royals short.....if the tigers dont make anymore moves the royals will win the division....last years team only won the division by one game......and we didnt get better....

Sorry not drinking the kool aid....you gotta score to win...if miggy walks alot, this team will lack any kind of power.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, yes. But I have it on my own authority that the tigers will sign choo and a set up man. They will then be better than last years squad imo, although the fister trade is still a headscratcher. I get it, make the trade to free up some finances, but at least get someone in return anyone. I guess DD is sold on scherzer repeatin his success of 2013. I think scherzer is a good pitcher, but Im still not sold on him consistently staying elite. Only time will tell, he definitely has about 250 million reasons to prove it this year.

I agree if they get choo and a good set up man id feel better...but we got worse with the trades.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Tigers are in good shape right now. But there will be more moves to come, just not big ones unless DD is bluffing.......The team speed and D has improved greatly over last season....DD said he expect Dirks to have a season more like he did in 2012, played through injuries last season....he also said they could sign a player like 2E to fill in against lefties....
Jalopy....good game last nite, Soo out shot London 45-36.....Soo record 19-6-0-3=41pts....London 42pts

Yeah great....now were holding our breath for dirks to be mediocre instead of horrid.....just look at our BP. we might never get it to nathan.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God it is only December.....u may live til the season starts....lol.....sure they need some more help but is $20 million more the answer? for guys over 30 that want long term deals, some guys well over 30 years old.....Dirks and Alex are not super stars but they have both had good years in the past....injuries were part of the problem with both of them last year....shit happens......will Nick C make it, some thought last year he should be playing full time, not me, but this should be his time if he is going to make it....don't have to drink the cool aid yet but have faith brother....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better bullpen? How

They lost benoit, veras and smyly....have added kroll and nathan....benoit didnt blow many saves. Wasnt our closers fault. Was our middle relief.......as of now our BP is kroll coke al al rondon and nathan.....that is not an upgrade.

Consistent hitting? Who? Dirks? Nicky c? Avila? Iggy? Ajax? Kinsler? .......wheres the consistent hitters?

I just dont have faith in nick c....wish we still had garcia now. And great another year where we put our chips all in with rondon...

I think youre selling the royals short.....if the tigers dont make anymore moves the royals will win the division....last years team only won the division by one game......and we didnt get better....

Sorry not drinking the kool aid....you gotta score to win...if miggy walks alot, this team will lack any kind of power.

Wasn't our closer's fault? What playoffs were you watching? Remember, I was talking about the playoffs so Smyly likely will be in the BP. And Nathan is a HUGE upgrade over Benoit. Also, in the playoffs our starters are more likely to pitch further into the game than during the season. Definitely counting on Krol, Rondon or a future addition to emerge as a legitimate set-up man.

The offense doesn't need to improve in the metrics. They were second in the league with runs scored but were an all or nothing offense because the team couldn't manufacture runs. The improvement in team speed will keep them out of DP's and allow them move runners more efficiently.

The Tigers were never really threatened in September and the 1-game margin is extremely misleading. I don't think anyone would argue that.

I agree that the Royals should keep improving but the Tigers will be a legit 90+ win team again. That should be enough. All of this assumes that DD won't do anything else to improve the team this offseason. At the very least, depth will be added to the BP and I fully expect LF to be helped as well.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term? By getting young guys?

People just act like nicky c will come in and do fine....ive seen way too many tiger prospects suck..

Contend in the long run? Paying max a kings ransom? Paying miggy a ransom when hes going to be on the older side of his prime? I just dont see it.

Weve been so close....shouldve just upgraded the BP and left it at that...

The fister trade was horrible.....couldve at least gotten one decent reliever id think. Otherwise we shouldve just kept him.

I understand the fielder trade, but if you make that trade, you have to at least try and fill his bat in the lineup....im not sold on kinsler to be that guy.....pretty much kinsler, nicky c are filling in for prince and omar....yuck......iggy for peralta.......just dont see any offense

Thats why they got out from under Prince's contract it was a King's ransom for a guy that does not look to produce to equal that contract he had. i get you liked Prince but it's the same argument and the Tigers have not yet paid Miggy or Scherzer a huge extended deal. That is just our conjecture at this point.

Jalopy I get what your saying but it relies on a lot of things coming together in Detroit's favor…

Smily pitches as well as a starter as he did as a reliever.

Krol is the lefty stopper that Smyly was.

Castellanos is as good as advertised, Cleaves was tight about Tiger prospects it such an Iffy proposition. I get bonus points for using Iffy in a clever trolling way!

Kinsler can be a decent hitter in Tiger Stadium were he has had issues.

Scherzer, Sanchez, and Verlander all produce.

A lot of what ifs going on.

I do like your idea of Cespedes and the Tanaka in the long run the contracts are probably a wash but Dave D gets blood flow from power pitchers and from what I have read Tanaka is not.

It's early and Dave D may have work left to do so it is still up in the air.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree if they get choo and a good set up man id feel better...but we got worse with the trades.

Neither is going to happen. Rondon is going to be the setup man with Krol a situational lefty. Undoubtedly, DD will get some more arms for the BP but it won't be a sexy name. Choo is just getting too expensive.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalopy I get what your saying but it relies on a lot of things coming together in Detroit's favor…

Smily pitches as well as a starter as he did as a reliever. Why wouldn't he?

Krol is the lefty stopper that Smyly was. Krol isn't likely to be used in long relief. More likely is he will be a situational guy. 1 or 2 batters.

Castellanos is as good as advertised, Cleaves was tight about Tiger prospects it such an Iffy proposition. I get bonus points for using Iffy in a clever trolling way! Understood but you downgrade him because of other players. He is a legit MLB hitter. Struggling for him this year will be .260 w/ 20 HR's.

Kinsler can be a decent hitter in Tiger Stadium were he has had issues. His power numbers are going to dip but his BA should be higher.

Scherzer, Sanchez, and Verlander all produce. I think you mean stay healthy. If so they win a minimum of 50 games

I do like your idea of Cespedes and the Tanaka in the long run the contracts are probably a wash but Dave D gets blood flow from power pitchers and from what I have read Tanaka is not. Agreed

It's early and Dave D may have work left to do so it is still up in the air. Agreed

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are mistaking me for a hockey fan. I spent three hours on the bike this morning and the last thing I want to see is ice or cold.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smily pitches as well as a starter as he did as a reliever. Why wouldn't he?

Krol is the lefty stopper that Smyly was. Krol isn't likely to be used in long relief. More likely is he will be a situational guy. 1 or 2 batters.

Castellanos is as good as advertised, Cleaves was tight about Tiger prospects it such an Iffy proposition. I get bonus points for using Iffy in a clever trolling way! Understood but you downgrade him because of other players. He is a legit MLB hitter. Struggling for him this year will be .260 w/ 20 HR's.

Kinsler can be a decent hitter in Tiger Stadium were he has had issues. His power numbers are going to dip but his BA should be higher.

Scherzer, Sanchez, and Verlander all produce. I think you mean stay healthy. If so they win a minimum of 50 games

I do like your idea of Cespedes and the Tanaka in the long run the contracts are probably a wash but Dave D gets blood flow from power pitchers and from what I have read Tanaka is not. Agreed

It's early and Dave D may have work left to do so it is still up in the air. Agreed

His stuff may not have the same effect the 2nd and third time around in an order. He looked good and I thought he should have had Porcello's spot last year but realistically he may have trouble.

As for Castellanos he is still a rookie one that may have defensive issues that could effect his starts. It is a concern as the Tigers have put a lot of faith in the guy when they are close to being a consensus World Series pick.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God it is only December.....u may live til the season starts....lol.....sure they need some more help but is $20 million more the answer? for guys over 30 that want long term deals, some guys well over 30 years old.....Dirks and Alex are not super stars but they have both had good years in the past....injuries were part of the problem with both of them last year....shit happens......will Nick C make it, some thought last year he should be playing full time, not me, but this should be his time if he is going to make it....don't have to drink the cool aid yet but have faith brother....

I know its only dec burf.....you know im not a negative fan like a few on here...but i just thought we were so close to change so many pieces

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't our closer's fault? What playoffs were you watching? Remember, I was talking about the playoffs so Smyly likely will be in the BP. And Nathan is a HUGE upgrade over Benoit. Also, in the playoffs our starters are more likely to pitch further into the game than during the season. Definitely counting on Krol, Rondon or a future addition to emerge as a legitimate set-up man.

The offense doesn't need to improve in the metrics. They were second in the league with runs scored but were an all or nothing offense because the team couldn't manufacture runs. The improvement in team speed will keep them out of DP's and allow them move runners more efficiently.

The Tigers were never really threatened in September and the 1-game margin is extremely misleading. I don't think anyone would argue that.

I agree that the Royals should keep improving but the Tigers will be a legit 90+ win team again. That should be enough. All of this assumes that DD won't do anything else to improve the team this offseason. At the very least, depth will be added to the BP and I fully expect LF to be helped as well.

I dont think it was the closers fault in the playoffs.....when did our closer blow the game? Only game really was when ortiz hit the big HR of benoit in the 8th inning.....it was the middle relief who loaded the bases....it was leyland who burnt our LH guy face ellsbury than pull him...if we had relievers then benoit wouldnt had even been called to come in to face ortiz in the 8th....i know nathans a big name....but stats wise he wasnt that much better than benoit last year....i like nathan better but i dont see any upgrade to our BP yet....we gained nathan and kroll while losing smyly veras and benoit.....kroll and coke look to be our LH relievers.....rondon the set up guy....teams on the brink of winning it all should have better than that.

Then if smyly is in the pen during the playoffs, that means porcello would be starting a game......and thats a huge downgrade from fister.....porcello is too consistent....he might give up 8 runs in the first...

I just think people think the playoffs are a given.....some fans just seem to ignore fielder had alot to do with us just getting to the playoffs..

Ill keep saying.....IF the tigers get a decent LF and one more arm in the pen id feel better....just think that dumping fielder, fister, infante, and peralta would gain us more than kinsler nathan and kroll.