• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the tigers get choo or beltran for 2 years, i would be fine with the trades they have made.....especially choo.....thats all i want for xmas is choo in the olde english D. .....the team would go from a beer league softball team to actually having some speed and options with choo, kinsler, iggy, and ajax....alot better than fielder, peralta, dirks, and infante

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of money and long term deals being thrown around. Is there nothing in house or less expenses out there that could go with Dirks in LF....just asking ?. Is Nick C the starting 3rd when the season opens? Is Infante gone?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Austin Jackson is going to be dealt at the winter meetings next week. Lynn Henning wrote above that this morning and IMO he has a source and gets good information.

That opens up a an OF slot and saves money down the road.

Dave D and the Tigers are clearing cap space. Beltran is a possibility but I see Seattle or KC driving the price up. Granderson sounds gone to the Mets, Yankees signed JE, that leaves Choo as a FA.

The dark horse in all of this is Matt Kemp. If Detroit strikes out with Choo and Beltran i would not be surprised to see a run at Kemp. Not a fan but he would be a good fit in the OF and behind Miggy.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Austin Jackson is going to be dealt at the winter meetings next week. Lynn Henning wrote above that this morning and IMO he has a source and gets good information.

That opens up a an OF slot and saves money down the road.

Dave D and the Tigers are clearing cap space. Beltran is a possibility but I see Seattle or KC driving the price up. Granderson sounds gone to the Mets, Yankees signed JE, that leaves Choo as a FA.

The dark horse in all of this is Matt Kemp. If Detroit strikes out with Choo and Beltran i would not be surprised to see a run at Kemp. Not a fan but he would be a good fit in the OF and behind Miggy.

I think Choo is going to prove too expensive. Looks like 6 yrs- $125MM. Trading AJ only works if they sign Choo unless they get a surprise offer.

Kemp is an intriguing name. The Tigers could probably get him for very little and the Dodgers would eat some of his salary. I would rather have Ethier.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me to see DD bid on Tanaka if MLB can reach a deal with the NPB and then trade Scherzer for a LF/3B

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Choo is going to prove too expensive. Looks like 6 yrs- $125MM. Trading AJ only works if they sign Choo unless they get a surprise offer.

Kemp is an intriguing name. The Tigers could probably get him for very little and the Dodgers would eat some of his salary. I would rather have Ethier.

I'd rather have Dirks than Ethier. He's going to be 32, signed that 5 year extension,(15.5 mil next year. 18 in 2015 and 2016. And 17.5 in 2017)and doesn't seem worth his deal. If we're looking to increase speed he's not a way of doing that. Probably not an upgrade over Andy defensively either. Not that Im promoting Kemp or anything. Not sure that Elsbury's deal sets the market. As going Boston to NY has to require a fee, I'd think anyway.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the Doug Fister trade.. They better be glad they landed Joe Nathan.. I'm going to take a wait and see approach to see what other moves they make, but this trade will directly reflect on how Robbie Ray develops in Toledo..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin getting dealt scares me. As much as we knock him, there aren't really that many better options at the top of the order. Even less options that could man centerfield as he does.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers need to land Choo but he is going to come at a big price.. Ellsbury got a ridiculous contract last night.. I bet they would have to trade someone else to transfer those funds to Choo..

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Jax has been a nice CF but has not developed like I hoped so I could actually see him getting moved. The loss of Fister leaves Detroit thin at starting pitching if they need a fill in or two for any extended time. So I can't see Dave D moving Scherzer. I think the posting fee for Tanaka will be to high for the Tigers as they expect it to surpass Darvish's posting.

The only real piece I could see the Tigers moving for Kemp would be Castellanos unless the Dodgers are looking for salary relief then some prospects would suffice.

The Fister deal does make sense in a way it adds prospects and that would equalize losing a first if the Tigers sign a tendered guy.

I think Choo is realistic if he comes in around 6 years and 100 million.

Outside of Kemp I can't think of a trade target that would make much sense.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are u going to get for Ajax? His D is big at Comerica.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Jax has been a nice CF but has not developed like I hoped so I could actually see him getting moved. The loss of Fister leaves Detroit thin at starting pitching if they need a fill in or two for any extended time. So I can't see Dave D moving Scherzer. I think the posting fee for Tanaka will be to high for the Tigers as they expect it to surpass Darvish's posting.

The latest proposal caps the posting fee at $20MM. Tanaka will probably get 6 years- $70MM

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are u going to get for Ajax? His D is big at Comerica.

That's what gets me. There aren't more than 5 o 6 that can man that outfield like he does. And the leagues best groundball pitcher just got dealt for pieces. I don't understand the motivation in moving him I guess.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what gets me. There aren't more than 5 o 6 that can man that outfield like he does. And the leagues best groundball pitcher just got dealt for pieces. I don't understand the motivation in moving him I guess.

IMO, the Tigers objective is largely monetary. But moving Jackson to get the cash to sign Choo is not a good move. As disappointing as AJ has been recently, his defense is tough to replace. Choo is not a quality CF. Perhaps a trade involving Porcello would be a better idea if the Tigers have to reorganize cash commitments in order to sign Choo (or Beltran?). Of course, Detroit would then be forced to spend on a mid-rotation starting pitcher, to fill that hole We will see if Illitch's pockets still stretch deep enough to jump from $150 million to $170+ million.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I like Choo in the corners. His arm is better than Jackson's, but he's not the same level of centerfielder. Moving your best, or second best defensive player, who's also your fastest player, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Not when they seem to want to improve on speed and defense anyway. Idk, DD has assembled and reassembled high quality clubs before, just don't understand the reasoning in moving lower paid guys to save money. (Lower being relative here). What pitcher of any value could be brought in for less than what Porcello will make the next couple seasons? Kazmir and Nolasco got bigger deals than Ricky will end up with.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bronson Arroyo for his inning eating ability. But he'd still cost more than Rick, I'd imagine.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word from mlive is choo is at the top of the tigers wish list.....

We should not trade ajax....now that we have someone else...kinsler or maybe choo to bat leadoff.....ajax can slide down to the 8th spot and not be counted on so much for his offense...his defense is too important...

Geez the team has won 3 straight division titles.....why does everyone want so many players traded? If the BP didnt blow a 5-0 lead this team might of been champions.....i thought wed fix the bullpen, not blow up half the team.....but im still on board with choo and another BP piece and id be fine with the off season.....but burf? Dirks in LF? Nicky C at 3B? .....miggy would get walked so much having vmart the turtle, nicky c, avila, dirks, ajax, and iggy batting behind him....that lineup is not scary....just dont let miggy beat you....vmart wont hit more than 15 HR's.....plus will hit into a ton of DP's....and our 5-9 is very suspect.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo
Hunter
Miggy
Vmart
Kinsler
Avila
Nicky c
Ajax
Iggy

Now i could live with that......sign benoit, wilson or mujica to sure up BP

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word from mlive is choo is at the top of the tigers wish list.....

We should not trade ajax....now that we have someone else...kinsler or maybe choo to bat leadoff.....ajax can slide down to the 8th spot and not be counted on so much for his offense...his defense is too important...

Geez the team has won 3 straight division titles.....why does everyone want so many players traded?

It appears that Detroit is close to its limit financially. Thus, to add players like Choo and Nathan, they need to move other players to cut cost. DD is being forced to add to/rearrange the team with an eye on a budget (this year and beyond). It seems that the ''dream' of keeping the team intact...by resigning Peralta, Infante, and Benoit along with keeping Fielder and Fister....and THEN going out and signing free agents like Nathan and Choo just was not feasible, financially.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that Detroit is close to its limit financially. Thus, to add players like Choo and Nathan, they need to move other players to cut cost. DD is being forced to add to/rearrange the team with an eye on a budget (this year and beyond). It seems that the ''dream' of keeping the team intact...by resigning Peralta, Infante, and Benoit along with keeping Fielder and Fister....and THEN going out and signing free agents like Nathan and Choo just was not feasible, financially.

Peralta couldve left......choo isnt signed.....i dont like the trades they made SO FAR.....if they sign choo, then i understand......but to blame money for the trades if you dont sign or make a trade to upgrade.....plus vmart and hunter come off the books next year......letting peralta go saved money.....all this team needed was a closer and LH reliever.....but now trading fielder and fister....they saved money.....now get choo.....and then ill understand what DD is doing.....but if dirks and nicky c start.....this team will struggle to win division..

Iffy im glad how everyone of your posts deal with money like you are mr ilitchs accountant....you dont know what hes doing with his money....