• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers get lefty ian Kroll . 1 season in the bigs 5 more years of team control
Steve Lombardozzi 2b/LF 2 years of big league service FA in 2017. Switch hitter.
Robbie ray left handed pitching prospect. nats # 5 prospect. Solves the Tigers issue of no real SP prospects at the upper levels

This deal was about $$. Traded fister who probably makes 8 and 12 mil the next 2 seasons for entry level salaries. team could afford to pay Max, sanchez JV and Fister big $$ in 2016. So he was moved for some pieces.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Tigers have acquired LHP Robbie Ray, LHP Ian Krol and utility player Steve Lombardozzi from the Washington Nationals in exchange for Doug Fister

Are we collecting Ian's? Not sure I like this trade. Pretty sure I don't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not too keen on this. I suppose it means Ramon is gone, but it's not like Lombardozzi is ever going to be anything but a utility guy. Fister was only a fourth starter but there couldn't be many fourth starters better than he is/was. When guys like Kazmir are getting 11mil a year Dougie didn't look too expensive to me.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illitch still has a lot of money he has to spend on getting the new hockey stadium up and going. He has spent $48mil on land purchases and he isn't done. And - this is a guess - I wonder if the kids have figured that they gave dad several years to buy a championship, and now it is time cut back. They are seeing that they have big expenditures (player contracts) ahead and need to reorganize the cash flow headed towards the baseball operations. Afterall, the new stadium will require a top of the line hockey club....so money may be shifting to accommodate.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not liking the deal short term. But I can see why the Tigers made the deal for the future. possibilty of the big three plus 2 leftes in Smyly and Ray for 2015.

payroll now looking to be 101 mil guaranteed plus 30 mil arb = 131 mil for 15 players.much better than it was last week. probably around 140 mil. We shall see how high DD can go.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illitch still has a lot of money he has to spend on getting the new hockey stadium up and going. He has spent $48mil on land purchases and he isn't done. And - this is a guess - I wonder if the kids have figured that they gave dad several years to buy a championship, and now it is time cut back. They are seeing that they have big expenditures (player contracts) ahead and need to reorganize the cash flow headed towards the baseball operations. Afterall, the new stadium will require a top of the line hockey club....so money may be shifting to accommodate.

Theres a hockey salary cap......so it doesnt matter about the top of the line hockey club....hes gonna still spend the same on the wings....i liked fister....he always showed up every 5 days and was very consistant as a tiger.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can still get a good LF and wilson or nathan....and one more lefty for the pen....then id like the 2 trades.....if we just resign max and sign a closer than i believe the tigers took a step back and might not win the central next year.....still need one bat to help protect miggy.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hockey isnt relevant here. the new Rogers deal pays each nhl team an extra 175 mil over the next 12 years. Myself i would like to thank our friends to the north for financing the new hockey facility.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be time that Tiger fans start to realize the fact the Cabrera will be asking for, and getting, a $300 million contract in two years. AND that Verlander will be making $28 mil starting next year and Scherzer may get close to that. To afford those salaries, the Tigers are going to have to start filling their other roster spots with young (cheap) players mixed with a few mediocre veterans. The window of opportunity is closing and Detroit will no longer be a sure thing in the coming seasons. The management is going to have to work to get the right players....and with a weak minor league system, the GM is going to have to start filling roster spots by getting young and cheap players by replacing the expensive ones as they enter their final arbitration years. Jackson?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not liking the deal short term.

That's all I needed to read. I thought the team was in win-now mode. The best way to get back to the ALCS and WS is with top-shelf starting pitching. If you're gonna deal that away, I'd think a top-shelf lefty reliever would AT LEAST come in return -- not one with 29 innings of big league experience.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, MAJOR news out of Detroit: The Tigers have agreed to a 1-year contract with utilityman Don Kelly. Waaa-hoo!

Too bad the Mariners beat them out on the active GORP (Grit Over Replacement Player) leader, Willie Bloomquist.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. it has to be about money.

we got hardly any thing for Fister.

clock is ticking on DD! Fister was solid. going to miss him in the rotation.

why is every worried about Porcello??
the guy is a 5th starter. a good 1 to. he wont bring much if we trade him. why have the head aches of some bum as the new 5th starter???
only way we could get any thing for him is with royals or twins...they are so desperate for any type of talent....but they got nada to give us for him.

keep ricky. and jis double digits wins and ton of innings as the 5th starter and worry about the other spots

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"tons of innings" = career high of 182 and averages less than 6 IP per start

I always thought Porcello was an overhyped prospect, but I do think he still could be pretty good. He's kept his walk rate pretty low and his strikeout rate's improved since reaching the majors (from 4.69 in 2009 (which was very low) to 7.22 (about average). And he does have a high groundball rate (52.8% GB%). His FIP and xFIP have improved every year as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would caution that we all withhold judgement until the smoke clears. This trade, like the Fielder trade, takes the current talent level down a notch. It will all depend what DD is able to do with the money saved. I'm guessing that he is done with the trade market and will now focus on the free agent market. It would make sense to know how much you have to spend before you go shopping. We obviously need a closer. A LF and another reliable bullpen arm would be nice. I like the direction this trade takes the team. I just wish the new assets had higher ceilings.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So sifting thru the interwebs on the Fister returns and I see Ian Krol missed his entire senior year of baseball on account of alcohol. (Over cleeves way in the high end suburbs). Then got the boot from the AFL for some not so nice online posts(good thing none of us are left handed and talented). Should this concern me? Aside from that it seems we got more than we gave for Dougie really. (SL is already more than Wells. Krol/Ray should be able to equal what Furbush and Ruffin have done so far.)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to FOX Sports, the Tigers are close to finalizing a deal with Nathan. Not a big surprise. Wonder if they will still have the dough to go after a LF?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hhhhmmmmmmm....the Tigers (so far) have saved some good size bucks on their two major trades. In return, they sign Nathan. The signing or lack of signing of another top free agent might give us a good sign on where the Tigers are financially.

(oops! Sorry forgot the major (re) signing of Mr. Kelly. lol)

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carlos Beltran is the next new tiger. He will sign a deal similar to the one torii hunter signed last yr. Me personally, id like to see nelson cruz. I know he's a righty, and he's pretty much HR or strike out, but damn, we could use someone like him in the lineup

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carlos Beltran is the next new tiger. He will sign a deal similar to the one torii hunter signed last yr. Me personally, id like to see nelson cruz. I know he's a righty, and he's pretty much HR or strike out, but damn, we could use someone like him in the lineup

Cruz doesn't for that much more power than Beltran. And Cruz has a pretty big home/away split (.294/.356/.556 at home; .242/.299/.435 away).