• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Lions starting RT for 2013

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any way you look at it -- if Detroit is able to get production out of their DE picks (Ansah and Taylor) -- the Lions should have a better defense than last year, so a slight weak spot at OLB isn't going to really hurt the team.
'Zactly.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was stoked when they didn't take a LB until the 7th. That told me they think that either Tahir Whitehead or Travis Lewis is good enough to start at OLB. That's good! That's how good teams become great teams, developing their late picks into starters. The Lions need more of that.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit i thought i was going to be the starting RT.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was stoked when they didn't take a LB until the 7th. That told me they think that either Tahir Whitehead or Travis Lewis is good enough to start at OLB. That's good! That's how good teams become great teams, developing their late picks into starters. The Lions need more of that.

Agreed.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's inside info TP.

I doubt very seriously that a late round lb can come in and beat out the guys we have now. I think Mayhew drafted the guys we will see at LB last year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it will be interesting to see who claims that spot and who steps up and takes the #2 spot at CB. I'm hoping Slay or Greeeeeeeeeenwood.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see there is more talk about who the Lions have already taken and could be developing and less that the Lions need to cut "Player X". It's a turning point on the boards which may be an indicator that the team has turned a corner. Not to say that everything is sunshine and rainbows yet, just that there is more optimism on the horizon.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still baffles me a bit that people treat the #3 LB as a starter, but not the nickel CB. The nickel back plays more snaps than the 3rd LB, yet in the lead-up to the draft that LB spot got a lot of attention.

Finding a good two-down OLB isn't all that hard. Fining a quality slot CB should be more of a priority in today's NFL, imo...

I think it will be Slay in the slot this year and either Green or Greenwood starting #2. If neither of these 2 guys stands out, they could use Bartell. Slay reads and reacts so well that his instincts are probably better served being used in the slot anyway. The other 2 are more in your shirt type coverage guys but will not really jump a route.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree about Whitehead being the favorite at OLB. They raved about his athleticism last year in camp, but he was more of a "rush" LB in college, so he needed time to adjust to playing in a 4-3 system...

Well, I sure hope they like Whitehead. I hope they like someone and have some kind of plan at OLB since it was obviously wasn't part of the plan to draft that position.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, the post-draft reports are that the Lions consider Slay to be an outside CB. He's good in man coverage and can press a bit, which is ideal for our system. Now that we have a competent CB corps and better safety play we'll be able to play a lot more man coverage, and a lot less of the zone stuff we've been forced to run.

If I had to handicap the CB competition (and this is 100% speculation on my part) I'd think that Houston and Slay will be the primary starters on the outside, with Bill Bentley serving as the nickel back. When we go to the dime and have to bring in a 4th CB I think that's when Slay slides inside and Green, Greenwood or Bartell takes over outside. Or perhaps Houston slides inside instead of Slay.

I think the fact that Houston, Slay and Bentley can all play on the outside or in the slot gives us a lot of flexibility with our CBs...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I sure hope they like Whitehead. I hope they like someone and have some kind of plan at OLB since it was obviously wasn't part of the plan to draft that position.
Like I said, we only need a two down backer with that spot, so that makes things a lot easier. Tulloch and Levy are our coverage backers when we go nickel, so whomever the 3rd LB is this year will sub out when we go nickel, unless said player tears it up in camp and proves that he's a better coverage guy than the other two.

Since we play nickel over half the time anyways we really only have two full time LBs. The other one should be considered a sub-package player. I know the 4-3 is our base defense, so one would think that 3rd OLB is full time player, but when the 3rd CB is getting more snaps than the 3rd LB it makes it obvious that today's NFL is different than it was 20 years ago...

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Since we play nickel over half the time anyways we really only have two full time LBs. The other one should be considered a sub-package player. I know the 4-3 is our base defense, so one would think that 3rd OLB is full time player, but when the 3rd CB is getting more snaps than the 3rd LB it makes it obvious that today's NFL is different than it was 20 years ago...

Solid points tpaulus. Didn't think of it that way. If it's true then it makes more sense to me why they chose Slay over Arthur Brown with the 2nd round pick. If they liked both players the same maybe the edge went to Slay since they felt it was more important to have another good CB rather than another good LB.

Who knows? I'm just trying to feel better about not getting the player I really liked in the 2nd round. The Ravens got themselves a STEAL when they traded up to get Arthur Brown. I liked what the Ravens did by addressing the loss of Reed/Lewis with their first two picks. Matt Elam & Arthur Brown are names we are going to hear as Pro Bowl selections someday. Sorry, I went off topic again. :)

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk, the post-draft reports are that the Lions consider Slay to be an outside CB. He's good in man coverage and can press a bit, which is ideal for our system. Now that we have a competent CB corps and better safety play we'll be able to play a lot more man coverage, and a lot less of the zone stuff we've been forced to run. /QUOTE]

Agreed. I think Slay can play the outside as well, but it may take a year before he can adjust to the NFL speed. I think he will get a chance in camp to compete for it.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are we talking about the Niners and the Patriots, or the Lions?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Slay are the starting CBs in my opinion. Unless Slay's knee is worse than thought or he has a horrid camp they didn't take the guy in the second to ride the pine.

This would make sense as I don't see Bentley as an every down CB but more of an inside slot guy on 3rd downs. Green being both Slay's and Bentley's main competition for minutes.

Greenwood needs a strong camp to avoid the practice squad or just get minutes. I think the competition this year in the Defensive Backfield will make the Lions DBs stronger!

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Slay cant break the starting CB spot opposite Houston this year, I will have to question if he was worth a 2nd round pick. I agree that usually CBs (Like OL) needs a year to develop and get accustomed to NFL speed, but seriously? The other CBs on the Lions just arent that good. Even without the year to develop, he should be better than what we have.

I also believe the D-line will make it easier for a CB to develop here than it would be on other teams. With the addition of Ansah to compliment Suh and Fairley, they arent going to give the QB all day to throw.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is he is starting Sunday at LT for Miami with Albert out. He's come along way.

He was always good here. He just never stayed healthy for 2 consecutive games. I hope he can stay healthy from here on out.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was always good here. He just never stayed healthy for 2 consecutive games. I hope he can stay healthy from here on out.

That's how he was at Miami (the U).