• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit game notes

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Williams fielded punts intelligently and confidently - Cut Ginn

While we're talking about cuts, I didn't realize that Dobbs was playing until I saw the player breakdowns. If he's healthy, do we really need Celek more than a 4th OLB?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're talking about cuts, I didn't realize that Dobbs was playing until I saw the player breakdowns. If he's healthy, do we really need Celek more than a 4th OLB?

Good question - :think:

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few random thoughts on Detroit -

3) Detroit did an outstanding job stopping the run between the tackles

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to run inside. If I remember correctly, last year we ran the ball a lot right at Suh. I remember us doing a lot of traps on him. I would expect Roman to come up with a similar game plan.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why we wouldn't be able to run inside. If I remember correctly, last year we ran the ball a lot right at Suh. I remember us doing a lot of traps on him. I would expect Roman to come up with a similar game plan.

I would imagine we'll try to run a similar scheme to start just to see if we can and/or to plant a seed, but ultimately we'll need a different game plan if we are going to try and run inside this time. Detroit will (should) be very aware of how we opened up holes last time we met.

This may be a good match-up to run some screens, some counters. I can see us moving the pocket at bit as well. The truth is this, if we remain in Suh's and Bosch's line-of-sight for too long they will get to Alex.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is something else to consider - we ran the inside trap four times. Two of those runs produced 102 yards. Other than those two runs, we could not run the ball very well against Detroit.

Last year we ran for 203 yards on 29 carries for an average of 7.0 YPC. However when you remove the 4 outliers we ran for only 75 yards on 25 carries for an average of 3.0 YPC

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Calvin Johnson misses practice for Lions

The 49er who will be responsible for emulating Johnson in practice this week will be first-round draft choice A.J. Jenkins. The team's defensive backs said that the 6-5 Johnson is particularly good at jump-ball situations, and Jenkins said that's one of the areas on which he's focusing. "When the ball's in the air, just going up and getting it," he said.

---

This week, Palmer is playing the role of Titus Young while Thomas will take some snaps as Stefan Logan. Meanwhile, at 6-0, 192 pounds, Jenkins certainly doesn't have Johnson's size of strength. But it's worth noting that last year Johnson was played by Joe Hastings in the run up to the Lions game and that the 49ers mostly kept the receiver under control. (7-113, no TDs)

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coach's Notebook: Sept. 12

In addition to that, you guys haven’t committed a turnover in six straight regular season games. Are you superstitious at all? Do you believe in jinxes? Is that something you bring up with the team? Or do you kind of just leave that alone?

“No, we’re not superstitious. In fact, we’re superstitious about not being superstitious. As far as taking care of the ball though, that’s ball security. And how that relates to your team being successful, we’re very serious about that.”

That's funny.

---

Did somebody get an award at the end of the week for practice squad?

“Yes. Developmental squad. Developmental squad you mean? Yes, offensive was [TE] Garrett Celek. Special teams was [WR] Nathan Palmer. Defensively was [LB] Cam Johnson.”

Last edited by a moderator: