• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit game notes

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn logins...

Not worth signing up, sorry guys. That message board is crazy busy and a bit lame. There are thousand of pages on Alex Smith. Mostly positive, but ridiculous. As an Alex Smith fan, it means something that I don't like being on there much. I go there for videos and articles, not so much the talking.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/18/refo-lions-49ers-week-2/

Stafford was pressured on just 5 of 34 drop backs

---

Stafford was also only affected by only one drop, as the majority of incompletions were on the quarterback.

---

Joe Staley will be a strong candidate for team of the week (+5.5) after this performance against the Lions. He gave up just a solitary pressure on 36 drop backs and did so against a decent crop of pass rushers in Kyle Vanden-Bosch, Willie Young and Lawrence Jackson. Staley was even better in the run game where he was able to dominate defensive tackle Corey Williams and get up to the second level and take DeAndre Levy out of plays. He’s now put two positive performances together in a row and will look to build on this momentum and elevate himself to the next level as one of the league’s better offensive tackles.

---

Staley wasn’t the only 49er lineman on fine form as Alex Boone (+2.8) impressed in both facets of the game. He and center Jonathan Goodwin were the linemen not to concede pressure in pass protection, and Boone didn’t get the benefit of double-team help on almost every play. Boone wasn’t as dominant in the ground game as Staley at left tackle, but he played his part in a number of successful runs by the 49ers. He played his part well on traps, where he either took out Corey Williams or worked to the second level, and he showed good mobility pulling to lead rushes off end on power plays. Boone’s performance over the first two weeks (+7.1 overall) begs the question of why the 49ers persisted in starting the now departed Adam Snyder at right guard for so long. If this was what the 49ers had waiting in the wings to replace him, they had been missing out unnecessarily.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last year the coaching staff did not have the benefit of an off season to truly evaluate the players they have on the roster. Boone have never played OG. They did not have film or visual observation to use as basis on making him play RG last season... After the season ended, they finally had the chance to evaluate the feasibility of moving Boone to RG...

Furthermore, Boone was not a raw RG last season. Since he never played the position, calling him raw is does not make sense because he has no idea what types of techniques and abilities are required to the position. It was not until this offseason did the Niners coaching staff informed him that they are moving him to RG... So not until then did he had a chance to learn the required techniques of the position... He is not yet totally accomplished as a RG eventhough he is stating... Right now he still raw and still learning the position

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year the coaching staff did not have the benefit of an off season to truly evaluate the players they have on the roster. Boone have never played OG. They did not have film or visual observation to use as basis on making him play RG last season... After the season ended, they finally had the chance to evaluate the feasibility of moving Boone to RG...

Furthermore, Boone was not a raw RG last season. Since he never played the position, calling him raw is does not make sense because he has no idea what types of techniques and abilities are required to the position. It was not until this offseason did the Niners coaching staff informed him that they are moving him to RG... So not until then did he had a chance to learn the required techniques of the position... He is not yet totally accomplished as a RG eventhough he is stating... Right now he still raw and still learning the position

Yeah, didn't Chilo Rachal start the season at RG? Because they had the film of him and he showed potential and sometimes was a brutal mauler. With the short off-season they kinda just went with what they saw from the year before. It wasn't until the season went on that they realized they were wrong about Rachal and put Snyder at RG because a change needed to be made.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, didn't Chilo Rachal start the season at RG? Because they had the film of him and he showed potential and sometimes was a brutal mauler. With the short off-season they kinda just went with what they saw from the year before. It wasn't until the season went on that they realized they were wrong about Rachal and put Snyder at RG because a change needed to be made.

That is why the basis of the article asking why Snyder was starting over Boone based on Boone's current performance is way off. No one knew at that time that Boone will be able to make the transition to RG let alone be somewhat effective as he has been so far. The author of that article over simplified by implying that Boone should have been the starting RG last season instead of Snyder/Rachal.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why the basis of the article asking why Snyder was starting over Boone based on Boone's current performance is way off. No one knew at that time that Boone will be able to make the transition to RG let alone be somewhat effective as he has been so far. The author of that article over simplified by implying that Boone should have been the starting RG last season instead of Snyder/Rachal.

Yep, I think its fair to say that as the year progressed and what they saw from Boone in practice and subduty on gamedays was that he could be a starter at RG. So they let Snyder and Rachal both walk, promoted Boone and drafted for depth.

But, I think the author is just trying to compliment Boone in the end, saying that if the 49ers knew what they had a year ago they might have been even better last season.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But, I think the author is just trying to compliment Boone in the end, saying that if the 49ers knew what they had a year ago they might have been even better last season.

I would have agreed with that but the actual statement implied that the 49ers were aware that Boone would play the way he played the first 2 games and were sticking with Snyder for some unknown reason.

"...Boone’s performance over the first two weeks (+7.1 overall) begs the question of why the 49ers persisted in starting the now departed Adam Snyder at right guard for so long. If this was what the 49ers had waiting in the wings to replace him, they had been missing out unnecessarily..."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have agreed with that but the actual statement implied that the 49ers were aware that Boone would play the way he played the first 2 games and were sticking with Snyder for some unknown reason.

"...Boone’s performance over the first two weeks (+7.1 overall) begs the question of why the 49ers persisted in starting the now departed Adam Snyder at right guard for so long. If this was what the 49ers had waiting in the wings to replace him, they had been missing out unnecessarily..."

Oh, I missed that. Then I think it is safe to assume that the author mistakenly believed that Boone was a backup guard last season, instead of the swing tackle. Just to give him the benefit of the doubt, because even though PFF digs deep for stats they don't seem to know much about backups... and honestly, who really does except fans of the team? I couldn't tell you about any backup O-lineman from a year ago outside of the 49ers guys.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, I missed that. Then I think it is safe to assume that the author mistakenly believed that Boone was a backup guard last season, instead of the swing tackle. Just to give him the benefit of the doubt, because even though PFF digs deep for stats they don't seem to know much about backups... and honestly, who really does except fans of the team? I couldn't tell you about any backup O-lineman from a year ago outside of the 49ers guys.

That, I could buy...