• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit game notes

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

“I don’t want anything from him,” Harbaugh said. “I just want to go up to him, shake his hand and tell him that me and my dad think that he’s the greatest baseball player in the history of the game.”

C'mon Harbs. Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, and then Willie Mays

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I thought this was interesting:

Besides the obvious, what made that 50-yard pass to Lions RB Joique Bell so disappointing?

Harbaugh: "That we got out—we were really in great call. If you knew they were going to run a screen, [defensive coordinator] Vic [Fangio] would call the three-man pressure and drop eight and everybody converge up on the screen and get it stopped for a short gain. But, we got out-leveraged. Instead of being inside out with the linebackers, we were outside in with both the linebackers and it got out on us."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another one of my all-time favorites from him:

What was the take home message? I mean obviously I get kind of what those stories were about, but for you what was the take home message that you relayed to the team about those stories?

Harbaugh: "I think that's one of the interesting things we do here. We don't break it down, Barney style at the end of a story and try to tell people what we think the message is or what the message should be. We just kind of put it there. These are smart guys, they relate to it in the ways that they relate to it. And sometimes it's very different. I love getting the feedback of what message they took from it. What they had in their past. Boy, about every guy in there has had to overcome something, or was wronged. But I really like to just to put it out there and get their feedback back."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do the 49ers have the top safety combo in the NFL? - Yahoo! Sports

From former NFL DB Matt Bowen, who is usually very good. Here's a portion because the title of the article is a little misleading on what's in the link and some might just skip over it just based on that:

Go back to the matchup vs. Lions. What did we see from San Fran against WR Calvin Johnson? 2-Man and Cover 2. Two coverages that are hot right now in the league to limit top tier WRs in the vertical route tree.

However, Goldson showed the ability to play the run from 15-yards off the line of scrimmage. How? Read the release of No.1, get your eyes back inside, take the proper angle to the ball and wrap up (a lost art) in the open field.

But let’s get away from scheme for a minute here, because the main reason these two safeties on the west coast stand out from my perspective is the physical brand of football they bring to the stadium. They hit. And they hit with power. Both Whitner and Goldson bring their pads and legs on contact.

And when you put that on tape every Sunday, opposing WRs won’t want to catch the ball. Running the deep dig (square-in) or the 3-step slant doesn’t look so appealing when you watch this combo at safety come downhill on the ball. Find me a wide out that is looking forward to that.

It wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t mention Seattle’s Kam Chancellor of Earl Thomas in this discussion—because they can play some football too. No question about that. But after watching the tape, Whitner and Goldson are my No.1. That's how I see it.