• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm REALLY not trying to pick on Stafford so much lately but this is something I found interesting from last year's game. I was hoping to see a little more disection on what happened with Calvin Johnson in that game, but...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/17/re-focused-49ers-lions-week-6/

Are we about ready to start dissecting Matthew Stafford (+1.4)? The Lions, it’s fair to say, are not winning because of him. In fact, there’s an argument to be made Shaun Hill was playing better football for them down the stretch. Stafford is turning into a tease. He will make you go wow with some sublime throws. With 11.16 left in the game, he threw a strike to split coverage and allow Calvin Johnson to rumble on for 41 yards. If that’s the good, you have to understand the bad. Aldon Smith may have dropped it, but with 1:34 left in the first half Stafford simply cannot make a throw that should have been intercepted. It wasn’t the only bad throw he made, as he consistently overthrew his receivers, and almost as worringly, never looked like leading the Lions back into the game on either of the Lions two final drives. Perhaps it had to do with being pressured on 35.7% of plays, or perhaps he just couldn’t handle the blitz (three completions with a -2.0 rating on the eight occasions San Fran sent five or more rushers). Either way it wasn’t impressive, and if the Lions are to fulfil their obvious potential he needs to step up. Long bombs to Calvin Johnson (of which there was only one in this game, which was overthrown), will only get you so far.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get to hate you guys this week, but I think we're gonna get killed ... does anyone have a point spread.

Lions-vs-49ers.jpg

opened at -4 1/2 San Fran-currently at -6 1/2 San Fran

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone watch the Rams & Lions game? Did Stafford throw his INTs because of pressure or was it bad reads/good coverage? Also how stout is the Lions O-Line will we be able to get constant pressure on Stafford as we did Rodgers?

Here is your INT breakdown.

INT #1

Stafford spies the safety threatening a weak-side blitz leaving the CB and the WR in a one-on-one hot to the outside. Either Stafford didn't call the hot or the WR didn't hear it because the WR tried to beat the press while Stafford simply one-stepped and fired.

It looked like Stafford was expecting the WR to jab step and come back for the ball and instead he tried to drive through the coverage leaving his back to the ball and the defender staring right at an uncontested INT.

INT #2

Nothing more than the LB #58 reading and reacting to Staffords eyes and jumping the route. Stafford either didn't see the LB breaking on the pass even before Pedigrew made his cut and Stafford threw the ball or he thought he could beat the LB with the throw.

INT #3

Brilliant defensive play by StL! CJ was flanked wide right with Pedigrew in the slot. StL was showing a Two Man-Under but on the snap the safety covering Pedigrew bumped and released Pedigrew to the top and then faded to the outside to cover CJ on the under. CJ ran a deep out and Stafford threw the ball right to the safety who had faded over from Pedigrew.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol never noticed this before but the Lions mascot looks like Simba when he was fighting Scar in the Lion King

You're right, the Detroit logo does look a little like a lion. Hmm... just kidding. I watched your youtbe video and it is the same.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck, hope everyone comes out healthy. I got Megatron, so won't break my heart is he gets his long as we win and dominate everyone else. ;)

Other than the fact I would lose every year and don't like losing, this is the main reason I don't do fantasy football. I'd pick all my Niners and of course, that's the recipe for last place to pick any one team only. Despite the fact that I have no effect on the game, I still can't split my loyalties. I don't blame others for wanting what you want (an opposing player to do well). (Example: I like Eric Weddle because he's from Utah (Utah and USC fan)).

Last edited by a moderator:

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is your INT breakdown.

INT #1

Stafford spies the safety threatening a weak-side blitz leaving the CB and the WR in a one-on-one hot to the outside. Either Stafford didn't call the hot or the WR didn't hear it because the WR tried to beat the press while Stafford simply one-stepped and fired.

It looked like Stafford was expecting the WR to jab step and come back for the ball and instead he tried to drive through the coverage leaving his back to the ball and the defender staring right at an uncontested INT.

INT #2

Nothing more than the LB #58 reading and reacting to Staffords eyes and jumping the route. Stafford either didn't see the LB breaking on the pass even before Pedigrew made his cut and Stafford threw the ball or he thought he could beat the LB with the throw.

INT #3

Brilliant defensive play by StL! CJ was flanked wide right with Pedigrew in the slot. StL was showing a Two Man-Under but on the snap the safety covering Pedigrew bumped and released Pedigrew to the top and then faded to the outside to cover CJ on the under. CJ ran a deep out and Stafford threw the ball right to the safety who had faded over from Pedigrew.

Thanks Bem it seems from your analysis and what Pozz posted Stafford is prone to miscues. Hopefully we can get pressure on him and get a couple INTs Sunday night.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the fact I would lose every year and don't like losing, this is the main reason I don't do fantasy football. I'd pick all my Niners and of course, that's the recipe for last place to pick any one team only. Despite the fact that I have no effect on the game, I still can't split my loyalties. I don't blame others for wanting what you want (an opposing player to do well). (Example: I like Eric Weddle because he's from Utah (Utah and USC fan)).

Yea it's tough when one of your fantasy teams is playing your favorite team but for me and I would assume most fans they would rather their fantasy football team lose than their favorite team.

Also fantasy football usually makes you watch more games then usual. For example there would have been no way I would have watched the Oakland San Diego game till 1:30 am EST if I didn't have a player playing. So it benefits you as you will watch more games and become more familiar with other teams players.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, the Detroit logo does look a little like a lion. Hmm... just kidding. I watched your youtbe video and it is the same.

Thanks Mr. Funny Guy I was talking bout the Lions logo looks like when Simba punched Scar in the face.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opened at -4 1/2 San Fran-currently at -6 1/2 San Fran

If I wasn't such a homer, I'd give the points and take San Fran. For those who are curious about Stafford, the cause if the INT's were bad throws. He really didn't get away with any mistakes.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Bem it seems from your analysis and what Pozz posted Stafford is prone to miscues. Hopefully we can get pressure on him and get a couple INTs Sunday night.

I would agree - I would chalk at least the second two INT's up to bad reads - simple as that.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I wasn't such a homer, I'd give the points and take San Fran. For those who are curious about Stafford, the cause if the INT's were bad throws. He really didn't get away with any mistakes.

Yeah, I'm not expecting him to make those mistakes again on Sunday night.. he's too good and it was just a bad game.

Although, I do hope the wind at the Stick sails a few of his passes right into the hands of Goldson

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few random thoughts on Detroit -

1) Stafford actually threw 4 INT's on Sunday but the 4th one which landed directly in the hands of the defender - was dropped - in the end zone

2) Several Stafford passes were dropped. I counted 5 arguably 6

3) Detroit did an outstanding job stopping the run between the tackles

4) StL rushed 3 for most of Detroits game winning drive and Stafford just had too much time and shredded the Rams 8-deep

5) Detroit's run game was a non-factor vs. StL.

6) Overall I see this as a favorable match-up for us and with the faithful in the stands I predict a 27-17 victory!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a thought I hope this game isn't a trap game. Detroit looks to be a watered down GB but with all the attention that the 49ers are going to get this week I hope that they are focused on this game Sunday.

I think we all had that same thought cross our minds but I don't think Harbaugh will allow that to happen.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few random thoughts on Detroit -

1) Stafford actually threw 4 INT's on Sunday but the 4th one which landed directly in the hands of the defender - was dropped - in the end zone

2) Several Stafford passes were dropped. I counted 5 arguably 6

3) Detroit did an outstanding job stopping the run between the tackles

4) StL rushed 3 for most of Detroits game winning drive and Stafford just had too much time and shredded the Rams 8-deep

5) Detroit's run game was a non-factor vs. StL.

6) Overall I see this as a favorable match-up for us and with the faithful in the stands I predict a 27-17 victory!

I think the Niners will use a similar game plan against the Lions as they did against GB. I think they would have to modify their run attack to go outside instead of running inside. The front 4 of the Lions' DL will be tough to run against. I think the Niners will also try to control the TOP and keep the Lions offense off the field. On defense, like in the GB game, I think they will also use a lot of Dime packages and sprinkle in some exotic blitz packages.