• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derrick Henry

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PointsBet USA currently lists the Bengals at +400 to be King Henry's next team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

No.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PointsBet USA currently lists the Bengals at +400 to be King Henry's next team.
Never going to happen. He will ask for more than Brown is ever willing to pay with Burrow and Higgins both up for extensions and our offense favoring the pass over the run, and Henry has tons of mileage on those legs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never going to happen. He will ask for more than Brown is ever willing to pay with Burrow and Higgins both up for extensions and our offense favoring the pass over the run, and Henry has tons of mileage on those legs.
And, he's dropped a full yard in the past season, or two.

At some point the age catches up - he's had a hell of a run, and I'm sure he may have a few more good years in him, but with how this team is structured, he's not going to be the featured guy on this offense.

Schemes just don't align.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would by by trade. We cut Mixon and trade for Henry. Henry has one year left on his contract, we don't dish out any guaranteed money or a long term contract. One year rental. Henry is a top 10 pass blocking back also.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would by by trade. We cut Mixon and trade for Henry. Henry has one year left on his contract, we don't dish out any guaranteed money or a long term contract. One year rental. Henry is a top 10 pass blocking back also.
What are you trading away?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd Rounder
Pass.

Keep the pick.

I'm not trading a 3rd round who could be a starting RB at 20 years old for a guy who is going to be 29 this year...with a crap ton of wear and tear. You have to go back to 2018 when Henry last played a full(ish) season and didn't lead the league in rushing attempts. He led the league every year 2019, 2020, and 2022 with the '21 season having only played 8 games due to injury.

Upgrade the line, draft a RB...the position just isn't what it used to be.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give up a 4th rounder for him for a 1 year rental. Have you seen what sort of crap we have picked in the 4th round? Outside of Volson, we've never hit on that pick..... And Volson isn't as good as a lot of our fans think he is.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give up a 4th rounder for him for a 1 year rental. Have you seen what sort of crap we have picked in the 4th round? Outside of Volson, we've never hit on that pick..... And Volson isn't as good as a lot of our fans think he is.
I thought Volson kept improving all year long. I think part of Volson's issue was having to help Williams too much instead of just doing his job.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Volson allowed DL to push him back too much in the passing game. It was pretty constant that he was collapsing his own pocket and nearly in Joe's lap, often.

He got better, but he needs to get more aggressive in the passing game. I think he was trying to absorb the pass rush, and he just isn't strong enough to swallow guys up like he did in college. That led him to dropping back like he is a tackle - and before you know it, he's in Burrow's lap. Honestly, I felt like the OL in general allowed this too much. I get creating some space in Pass-Pro, but I felt that some of the drops by the OL were too deep, and combined with the quick drop, and fast release that Burrow prefers - the pocket just didn't create enough movable protective space.

As for the 4th round picks....yeah, they've been pretty bad. Most recent one that was at least decent was Carl Lawson. Before that you have to go back to Atkins in 2010. Then Peko in 2006. Though D'Ante Smith could still end up a nice rotational piece on the OL, I think.

But, yeah...4th round has been no-bueno for the Bengals for a long time.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are bracing for that big burrow contract, they won't add a lot of spicy salsa to these chips anytime soon.

Perine and Traveon behind a good line might actually work. throw in a little of Chris Evans.
Traveon isn't a bad running back, but he has gotten hurt and needed to get some experience.
we might even draft someone to compete for a roster spot.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals are bracing for that big burrow contract, they won't add a lot of spicy salsa to these chips anytime soon.

Perine and Traveon behind a good line might actually work. throw in a little of Chris Evans.
Traveon isn't a bad running back, but he has gotten hurt and needed to get some experience.
we might even draft someone to compete for a roster spot.
Perine is a F/A and is older than Mixon...

If Bengals decide to move on from Mixon, and free up that cap - I think they need to look at a RB in the draft (3rd round seems to be a sweet spot currently). They could also find a younger veteran guy for half of that 12M they would be paying Mixon (though only 6M in cap space due to dead money).

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Volson allowed DL to push him back too much in the passing game. It was pretty constant that he was collapsing his own pocket and nearly in Joe's lap, often.

He got better, but he needs to get more aggressive in the passing game. I think he was trying to absorb the pass rush, and he just isn't strong enough to swallow guys up like he did in college. That led him to dropping back like he is a tackle - and before you know it, he's in Burrow's lap. Honestly, I felt like the OL in general allowed this too much. I get creating some space in Pass-Pro, but I felt that some of the drops by the OL were too deep, and combined with the quick drop, and fast release that Burrow prefers - the pocket just didn't create enough movable protective space.

As for the 4th round picks....yeah, they've been pretty bad. Most recent one that was at least decent was Carl Lawson. Before that you have to go back to Atkins in 2010. Then Peko in 2006. Though D'Ante Smith could still end up a nice rotational piece on the OL, I think.

But, yeah...4th round has been no-bueno for the Bengals for a long time.
The argument for Volson is that what he did in making the leap from NDSU to the NFL was really impressive and we can expect him to improve after an entire season of work. The argument against him is that he is already fairly old, isn't going to get more athletic, and his ceiling isn't much higher than we have already witnessed. Given the other issues at tackle, my fear is that the Bengals won't show much interest in upgrading the LG position - I think this is a mistake.... It would be great to have another starting level NFL guard that could challenge for that job. Worst case scenario would be that Volson would be a critical swing guy when injuries occur.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument for Volson is that what he did in making the leap from NDSU to the NFL was really impressive and we can expect him to improve after an entire season of work. The argument against him is that he is already fairly old, isn't going to get more athletic, and his ceiling isn't much higher than we have already witnessed. Given the other issues at tackle, my fear is that the Bengals won't show much interest in upgrading the LG position - I think this is a mistake.... It would be great to have another starting level NFL guard that could challenge for that job. Worst case scenario would be that Volson would be a critical swing guy when injuries occur.
I think he's athletic enough, and with some technique adjustments, I think he'll be OK and should adapt to some of those issues. I do think it got better towards the end of the year. I agree he's likely limited in terms of how high his ceilinng is, but I do think he can be a pretty good LG. This year will tell us a lot, IMO, on that.

I also agree that the Bengals should be looking for another OG/IOL guy either in FA or in the draft. OL and DL require more starters than any position, and that means their backups also require a bit more attention than most other positions. You have 3 WR, and lose 1, you can use TE, or RBs, and scheme around that. But when you lose a lineman - you have to have another lineman. You can't just take someone else and plug/scheme that hole away.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Bengals decide to move on from Mixon, and free up that cap - I think they need to look at a RB in the draft (3rd round seems to be a sweet spot currently). They could also find a younger veteran guy for half of that 12M they would be paying Mixon (though only 6M in cap space due to dead money).

Marvin Lewis would sign Mixon. Right now, I don't think anyone outside of the Browns or some similar team will touch him, he's going to be arrested soon enough, he's currently surrounded by drama and legal issues on a regular basis.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Lewis would sign Mixon. Right now, I don't think anyone outside of the Browns or some similar team will touch him, he's going to be arrested soon enough, he's currently surrounded by drama and legal issues on a regular basis.
LOL - Marvin loved him some drama

Even if Mixon is 100% innocent, he's an idiot who is going to reap what he sows by who he hangs around with.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

might be right. I guess they're trying to groom Traveon to be an every day backup while he pays his dues on special teams.
a good line can make a mid tier back look good, and I fear that's the plan.