• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver Offense

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think it will help the offense because the only real run plays available in shotgun are the draw or a pitch, so by taking snaps from under center, it opens up the playbook and puts more stress on the defense.

Psycho

Deranged Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning is such a tricky situation for a guy like Kubiak. Kubiak likes multiple TEs and establishing the run. Here you have a QB who loves to operate from the gun, who likes to impose his will on defenses by hitting short and intermediate throws quickly from the pocket and he's very successful at it, and that's the problem. When this doesn't work (like in the Super Bowl), there's no plan B that the team is accustomed to executing, so the entire offense is out of sorts. Personally, I think putting Manning under center, establishing the run and so on will benefit the team. It may not benefit Manning's stat sheet, but it should slow the game down so the Broncos don't get into these crazy-ass shootouts like we saw vs. Dallas last year.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning is such a tricky situation for a guy like Kubiak. Kubiak likes multiple TEs and establishing the run. Here you have a QB who loves to operate from the gun, who likes to impose his will on defenses by hitting short and intermediate throws quickly from the pocket and he's very successful at it, and that's the problem. When this doesn't work (like in the Super Bowl), there's no plan B that the team is accustomed to executing, so the entire offense is out of sorts. Personally, I think putting Manning under center, establishing the run and so on will benefit the team. It may not benefit Manning's stat sheet, but it should slow the game down so the Broncos don't get into these crazy-ass shootouts like we saw vs. Dallas last year.
I mostly agree with what you're saying. However, I think it is a slight disadvantage. PM like TB like to sit back and survey the field, make pre-snap adjustements not as easy to do under center. Plus now he'll need to back pedal away from center something he doesn't do a lot of. Sure he can overcome that with practice.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree with what you're saying. However, I think it is a slight disadvantage. PM like TB like to sit back and survey the field, make pre-snap adjustements not as easy to do under center. Plus now he'll need to back pedal away from center something he doesn't do a lot of. Sure he can overcome that with practice.
Yeah. The backpedaling will be somewhat concerning because of his age, but I think he'll do pretty well in the system after practicing it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Peyton the master of the play action early in his career? I mean, Edge early.

Turbo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More snaps under center for Manning is not a bad thing. Just considering teams within the division, (Raiders, Chargers, and Chiefs) the only legit pass-rushing team would be the Chiefs. This should not be an issue for Manning at all, even with him getting up there in age. If anything (as Psycho mentioned above) "there is no plan B" and by being in the shotgun majority of the time, the offense eventually becomes one-dimensional and play calling might become predictable. But then again, Manning is a first-ballot HOF and even when the entire defense knows a throw is coming, he still carves them up with his craft. In the end, its really pick your poison for the defensive coordinator. Would you rather have Manning shred your defense with pre-snap reads/audibles from the shotgun or kill you under center with play-action and a plethora of running options for the RB?

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Peyton the master of the play action early in his career? I mean, Edge early.

Not BOOTLEG play action. That is essential in the stretch run in the west coast offense. Hence, the reason the QBs that have operated that system most effectively, have those skills. Meaning, they were and are mobile.

Montana
Steve Young
Elway
Favre

Manning is not mobile at all. Never has been. He is the quintessential one dimensional QB. Most QBs like that get figured out at some point. Marino had a losing play off record for a reason. Fouts could never get it done. Manning has 9 one and dones.

Brady, may seem one dimensional. He does run a lot of QB sneaks and that skill is underrated for QBs imo.

Anyway, the Kubiak system does depend on a QB running bootleg play action in the stretch run. I do not see how Manning will operate that.

We will see. I am not exactly confident with how this will look.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning played almost all of his career in nothing but the stretch offense.

Hell when Kubiak brought his system to Houston I GUARENTEE you that the video he had put together for his QB's to illustrate the correct way to run play action off of the stretch was about 50% Manning doing it. He was the master of it.

Going back to his roots will be good for Manning.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to think that not having Clady protecting his blind side factors into this equation... He'll need to get the ball out quick.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

agreed. I made the statement going into the Pays/Broncos game last year, that the "Pats can beat any pass-only offense" They did easily. Peyton under center and handing off, will create a more difficult scenario for defenses. It will also open up more effective passing. The Patriots could learn from this too with Brady.....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to think that not having Clady protecting his blind side factors into this equation... He'll need to get the ball out quick.

My only question with Clady is were we getting the 2012 version of Clady or the 2014 version of Clady? His Lis Franc injury combined with all of his other injuries really killed his production. He actually graded out something like the 21st best LT in the league. Go back to 2013 when Clady was out for the season and the Broncos with Chris Clark had the 11th best LT in the league. So again it is a matter of what version are you getting with him?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only question with Clady is were we getting the 2012 version of Clady or the 2014 version of Clady? His Lis Franc injury combined with all of his other injuries really killed his production. He actually graded out something like the 21st best LT in the league. Go back to 2013 when Clady was out for the season and the Broncos with Chris Clark had the 11th best LT in the league. So again it is a matter of what version are you getting with him?
Didn't know that... Then it really shouldn't make much of a difference without him.

Carry on! lol

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. I made the statement going into the Pays/Broncos game last year, that the "Pats can beat any pass-only offense" They did easily. Peyton under center and handing off, will create a more difficult scenario for defenses. It will also open up more effective passing. The Patriots could learn from this too with Brady.....

This is definitely the hope with putting him under Center more. It makes teams have to respect the run game that much more plus respect that it could go to either side of the OL. With the Shot Gun you know where the run play is going for the most part and know more times than not it is going to be a pass play. I honestly hope the Broncos are one of those teams that have the pass/run ratio of 50/50. The less the Broncos have to depend on Manning to be great to win games the better especially come playoff time that they will be.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know that... Then it really shouldn't make much of a difference without him.

Carry on! lol

Haha yeah most people when they look at Clady outside of Denver all they hear is how he was an All-Pro LT. He was at one point for sure. Unfortunately he has now tore the same ACL twice, had shoulder surgery, and then of course the Lis Franc injury that most players say is still the one injury that can end a career. All of that has happened in about the last 4 years. His body is breaking down so honestly most Bronco fans are not too surprised that he is hurt again.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think it will help the offense because the only real run plays available in shotgun are the draw or a pitch, so by taking snaps from under center, it opens up the playbook and puts more stress on the defense.

Could it have to do with wanting to run more to save his arm? I think that's the big problem with Manning is his arm stamina late into the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could it have to do with wanting to run more to save his arm? I think that's the big problem with Manning is his arm stamina late into the season.

Oh I think that is part of it. I think the run game helps the inexperienced OL that the Broncos will be putting out as it makes the DL have to hesitate just that split second in trying to figure out what is happening. That means a tad bit easier blocking in both the run and pass game. Also the less times Manning drops back should mean less times he is taking hits limiting his chances of injury like we saw last year. Also then like you said it helps save his arm a little more.