• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defensive Backfield

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
probably not anyone stopping Rodgers or Nelson or Cobb or Lacy if he gets downhill in the secondary.. I like Slay too but man...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We burnt through all our slot corners and picked up stray off the street to go against Rodgers. I do not like it. This is very troubling. I think I would have rather thrown Seisay out there instead or just put extra safeties in.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gorrer was with DC Austin before, at Baltimore, from what I read. He ALLEGEDLY knows Austin's system, so we shall see. I'd assume Gorrer would man the nickel tomorrow.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was finally able to complete my calculations. Here's what I came up with.

If the Lions secondary can improve to say 29th in the league from 32nd, they will be able to drop some goose eggs on some motherfuckers.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least defense wins championships.

The NFL seems intent on eliminating defense from the game. Not sure how much longer this will be true.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our DB's, despite being patchwork are loking pretty decent. Why? Its amazing what some blitzing will do.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about exceeding expectations- we went from having a "horrible secondary" to having one of the best in the league through the first 6 games so far this year. Who saw that coming? (answer: nobody)

While there was a lot of talk that our whole secondary stunk, most posters accepted that our safeties would be pretty good; it was the CBs that had everyone worried. What a revelation they have been- Slay and Mathis are certainly in the argument for the best pair of CBs in the league so far this season, which isn't something any of us would have thought we'd ever be able to say, imo.

And apparently it doesn't matter who we play in the nickel spot- pretty much any old player seems to do, lol. In all seriousness, though, Gorer seems to be holding the fort down pretty damn well for a street free agent.

Obviously our suddenly potent pass rush has a lot to do with the secondary's success, but the secondary also deserves credit for covering well enough to let that pass rush get to the QB.

All in all I think this year's defensive resurgence shows what an under-achiever the supposed defensive mastermind Jim Schwartz really was. A first-time coordinator has taken basically the same group and transformed them from a middling unit to the best in the league. Imo, it's all about attitude- we have coaches who act like professionals now, and that's rubbing off on the team...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Mayhew to an extension!!!

Everybody he signs off the street is an All-Pro defensive back. It's the only explanation for the excellent play of this defense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhews street smart, not book smart fog