• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dec. 21st, 2012

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they would still be wrong. He's finished his 1st term and was re elected, then has started his 2nd term. So no, both you and the republicans are wrong.

He has not started his second term until an inauguration have would occurred for a different president had they been elected (His term will end officially and his second will start on January 20th, 2013 - same day.) Bush served out his term after Obama was elected until January 20th. The term is for four years, so if he had started his second term already, he'd finish his second four years over 2 months early.

When is the end of Barack Obama's first term.

He swears in a second time, or at least has a second inauguration on January 20, 2013.

How Obama's 2nd Inauguration Will Differ From 1st : NPR

Just to clarify both these posts, I'm not a Romney supporter.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has not started his second term until an inauguration have would occurred for a different president had they been elected (His term will end officially and his second will start on January 20th, 2013 - same day.) Bush served out his term after Obama was elected until January 20th. The term is for four years, so if he had started his second term already, he'd finish his second four years over 2 months early.

When is the end of Barack Obama's first term.

He swears in a second time, or at least has a second inauguration on January 20, 2013.

How Obama's 2nd Inauguration Will Differ From 1st : NPR

Just to clarify both these posts, I'm not a Romney supporter.

You're right

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes, I wish the world would end so that all those that mock the Mayans would have the collective "oh shit" moment because mocking the dead is not cool and super lame (when no one else puts their bets on the table for all to see) - but then I remember that I live on this world, too, and that this thought could be seen as mocking the Mayans. I suppose this is how some religious people think about their God coming down to show everyone and have the atheists or other religious people squirm, repent, and show their remorse.

When will our sun explode

The sun will go dark in 4-5 billion years and stay dark for 20-30 billion years - but the world will be uninhabitable due to the sun's heat in 1 billion years - that's if we don't do it ourselves. (I think saying we could end mankind within 1 billion years isn't political - not saying that global warming is solely political. Is it? ;)) (Even if science backs it, there are plenty of things that are political about responses to the Earth's climate - though it should just be science.)

I predict all humans will be dead by 4016. Prove me wrong (not theoretically!). Note: if all people die in 2084, that's still true that all humans are dead by 4016. Having said that, I predict by 999,999 AD, all humans will be dead - a full 2013 years earlier than those billion year estimations (though I know people could die from the sun before it becomes uninhabitable for all living organisms).

The way things are going, I'd think it's a safe bet that we're done by 2200.

Nothing lasted a billion years. We won't rival the dinosaurs because we're too advanced. Looking back through geologic time, the most advanced members of a set specie were the first to be eliminated because they were also the least adaptable. Think about this, we have changed the environment within our homes purely for simple comfort. If I want it to be 80 degrees in my house when the ambient outside temperature is 8 degrees, I can do that. If something eliminated my ability to do that (whatever cataclysmic event you choose), I'd die that night. So would 95% of the rest of the planet (speaking only of humans here).

Sharks and roaches, on the other hand, wouldn't have anything to worry about.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 24 5 A.M.'s. Which one?

The Mayan's 5.A.M., I assume - that would be one of the time zones that encompasses Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, or El Salvador. That leaves 3 or 4 time zones, I think. (I haven't checked if the Mountain Standard time zone, for example, extends straight down, etc.)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things are going, I'd think it's a safe bet that we're done by 2200.

Nothing lasted a billion years. We won't rival the dinosaurs because we're too advanced. Looking back through geologic time, the most advanced members of a set specie were the first to be eliminated because they were also the least adaptable. Think about this, we have changed the environment within our homes purely for simple comfort. If I want it to be 80 degrees in my house when the ambient outside temperature is 8 degrees, I can do that. If something eliminated my ability to do that (whatever cataclysmic event you choose), I'd die that night. So would 95% of the rest of the planet (speaking only of humans here).

Sharks and roaches, on the other hand, wouldn't have anything to worry about.

the world is a dangerous place. between gamma rays, asteroids, super volcanos, the human race can be wiped out anytime.

imo what saved the world is notre dame being ranked #1

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found the answer! - It would appear we're all going to have to pay our creditors - blah!

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the scams or real scares that others have alluded to in respect to the Mayan thing, but it reminds me of the Y2K scare where some nuts thought that all systems would go back to 1900 and be confused/inoperable, etc. People were talking about computers flunking and wondered if theirs would. Dumb, but if you were so scared about yours, set your computer's date to December 31, 1999 at 11:59 PM, wait a minute, and see what happens. If it goes to January 1, 2000, you can sigh in relief. (Setting it to that date wouldn't do anything, you'd need to see the automatic shift over.) If the military was worried about it, which they wouldn't be, they could do the same, but prevent actual harm if malfunctioned (like firing a blank). Then, set it back to the correct date and time and relax. If it malfunctions, then you're right to be scared for all other home computers but it means nothing in relation to anyone else's computer. Or in the military example, they could fix it. Plus, they acted like if the computer malfunctioned, managers couldn't manually order food from their suppliers or that all supplies would end. That was one of the dumbest things I've seen people worry about - plus, I thought it'd be too dumb to not have 2000 in there, so I assumed they did. Cows would still be milked, water would still flow, etc.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the world is a dangerous place. between gamma rays, asteroids, super volcanos, the human race can be wiped out anytime.

imo what saved the world is notre dame being ranked #1

Overpopulation is going to be our undoing. We went from 6B to 7B people in what, 15 years? How many billions of people can the Earth provide food and water for?

Unless we turn to cannibalism...:think:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpopulation is going to be our undoing. We went from 6B to 7B people in what, 15 years? How many billions of people can the Earth provide food and water for?

Unless we turn to cannibalism...:think:

overpopulation = super virus that will wipe out a good chunk of the population.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
overpopulation = super virus that will wipe out a good chunk of the population.

Or it will simply cause people in highly populated areas to have fewer children & the population will level out.

Oh wait, we're already seeing that happen.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it will simply cause people in highly populated areas to have fewer children & the population will level out.

Oh wait, we're already seeing that happen.

population will keep going up because ppl will live longer. the birth rate would have to decline and i dont see that happening anytime soon.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Declining populations: Incredible shrinking countries | The Economist

Declining populations

Incredible shrinking countries

Rich countries' populations are beginning to shrink. That's not necessarily bad news

Jan 5th 2006 | from the print edition

DURING the second half of the 20th century, the global population explosion was the big demographic bogey. Robert McNamara, president of the World Bank in the 1970s, compared the threat of unmanageable population pressures with the danger of nuclear war. Now that worry has evaporated, and this century is spooking itself with the opposite fear: the onset of demographic decline.

The shrinkage of Russia and eastern Europe is familiar, though not perhaps the scale of it: Russia's population is expected to fall by 22% between 2005 and 2050, Ukraine's by a staggering 43%. Now the phenomenon is creeping into the rich world: Japan (see article) has started to shrink and others, such as Italy and Germany, will soon follow. Even China's population will be declining by the early 2030s, according to the UN, which projects that by 2050 populations will be lower than they are today in 50 countries.

Demographic decline worries people because it is believed to go hand in hand with economic decline. At the extremes it may well be the result of economic factors: pessimism may depress the birth rate and push up rates of suicide and alcoholism. But, in the main, demographic decline is the consequence of the low fertility that generally goes with growing prosperity. In Japan, for instance, birth rates fell below the replacement rate of 2.1 children per woman in the mid-1970s and have been particularly low in the past 15 years.