• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(dead to me ) Bengals game thread cause no one else did

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some very poor play by our OLine to end that drive.

thanks to legatron, only cost us 4 points

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same old shit. The Bengalization of Joe Burrow in progress. Sigh.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sucks to lose, but the boys had some fight in 'em.

this one really came down to their defense doing their job. our o-line looked like trash at times, but other times they seemed ok.

too many times they're standing around and some Chicago bear is humping burrow's leg

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense has to open up. Sacks are going to happen because the front office failed Burrow in signing legit starters to protect him. Now, the rest of the offense has to suffer for their stupidity because it is either risk Burrow to another injury or play with max protect and short routes.

Even when things fall into their lap (Burrow), this franchise simply cannot get out of its own way to take advantage of things and win.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same old shit. The Bengalization of Joe Burrow in progress. Sigh.
I think we may have Bengalized Burrow and Chase on the same day. Chase is already like "dude, wtf? Throw the football downfield already."

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot take - A big part of the line struggle is scheme, not talent. No, they aren't a line packed with talent. But, damn is the coaching bad.

Again, yesterday we had to watch as guys ran free through the line even without exotic blitz calls. Mark Sanchez was calling the game and he mentioned that the protection scheme should be obvious on one of these plays where a guy was left unaccounted for..... When Mark Fucking Sanchez knows more about the protection than your coach, franchise qb, and veteran center, I don't know what to tell you.

The scheme was absolutely stupid. Chicago knew that when we ran empty that we'd have to pass it short because their D-line is better than our O-Line. As Chase said, guys were just sitting on routes able to watch Burrow's eyes and break on the ball. The first pick was really stupid - Trips to one side, Uzomah the only receiver to the left of the quarterback. Since he is no threat the middle linebacker doesn't have to respect the middle of the field and he just wanders straight into the zone. You can say it's a good play by the linebacker, but it was also an obvious play and there was nothing there to keep him from making it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot take - A big part of the line struggle is scheme, not talent. No, they aren't a line packed with talent. But, damn is the coaching bad.

Again, yesterday we had to watch as guys ran free through the line even without exotic blitz calls. Mark Sanchez was calling the game and he mentioned that the protection scheme should be obvious on one of these plays where a guy was left unaccounted for..... When Mark Fucking Sanchez knows more about the protection than your coach, franchise qb, and veteran center, I don't know what to tell you.

The scheme was absolutely stupid. Chicago knew that when we ran empty that we'd have to pass it short because their D-line is better than our O-Line. As Chase said, guys were just sitting on routes able to watch Burrow's eyes and break on the ball. The first pick was really stupid - Trips to one side, Uzomah the only receiver to the left of the quarterback. Since he is no threat the middle linebacker doesn't have to respect the middle of the field and he just wanders straight into the zone. You can say it's a good play by the linebacker, but it was also an obvious play and there was nothing there to keep him from making it.
I would kinda disagree with this overall post, as I think you are going a little extreme on all of this. However, they did play a poor game yesterday, and the Bears do have a good defense and i think the play calling was a bit on the conservative side as I think they fell into the trap of 50/50 run pass after week 1. Saying they want to be balanced and now trying to force it. They say the run sets up the pass, well it works the other way too.

A couple of those sacks were on Burrow himself, but maybe more on great coverage downfield. The line is definitely credited with a couple sacks, and then just quality blitzing accounts for the 3rd INT QB hurry/knockdown.

Overall, we played a poor game in most areas on offense. From the QB, to the RB, to the WR's to that oline. Defense. I am very impressed with everyone on defense minus Eli Apple. Wow that dude is not very good.

I don't think anything is as bad as you and 78 are making it out to be, but those areas certainly need some attention this next week against Pittsburgh, that is for sure.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would kinda disagree with this overall post, as I think you are going a little extreme on all of this. However, they did play a poor game yesterday, and the Bears do have a good defense and i think the play calling was a bit on the conservative side as I think they fell into the trap of 50/50 run pass after week 1. Saying they want to be balanced and now trying to force it. They say the run sets up the pass, well it works the other way too.

A couple of those sacks were on Burrow himself, but maybe more on great coverage downfield. The line is definitely credited with a couple sacks, and then just quality blitzing accounts for the 3rd INT QB hurry/knockdown.

Overall, we played a poor game in most areas on offense. From the QB, to the RB, to the WR's to that oline. Defense. I am very impressed with everyone on defense minus Eli Apple. Wow that dude is not very good.

I don't think anything is as bad as you and 78 are making it out to be, but those areas certainly need some attention this next week against Pittsburgh, that is for sure.
Guys should not be running free at the QB. This is a veteran line coach, a veteran center, and a smart QB. Two weeks in a row we had guys coming straight at Burrow. That can't happen. It's bad coaching.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys should not be running free at the QB. This is a veteran line coach, a veteran center, and a smart QB. Two weeks in a row we had guys coming straight at Burrow. That can't happen. It's bad coaching.
We had blitzers running free at their QB once in a while. Whether we were able to sack the QB or not is another story. Shit happens. Disguising blitzers and defensive schemes. I think Pollack is a good coach. It will be fine. We will see the trending pattern over the next several weeks.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger issue is:

The OL still struggles to protect Burrow - regardless of scheme or talent. The F/O simply did not do enough to address this in year 2 of Burrow - and it should have been addressed prior to year 1 when everyone else in the world knew how bad the OL was.

The other issue is that it took 3+ quarters for anything to open up - Chicago was daring Burrow and the offense to go deep - and Taylor kept it safe and simple, and screwed the offense over. Chicago was sitting in anything less than 10 yards knowing that they were trying to get the ball out quick.
I've said it since Pre-season: Either Burrow is healthy enough to take these hits, or he's not. The OL is what it is at this point, and either they are going to try and win games, or protect Burrow - but they can't do both.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Eric Bienemy

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Brady. Burrow's passing coach at LSU. Look at the work he is doing in Carolina - He is slowly rebuilding Sam Darnold's career.

He'd have Burrow and Chase here in place and other weapons to build around.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bigger issue is:

The OL still struggles to protect Burrow - regardless of scheme or talent. The F/O simply did not do enough to address this in year 2 of Burrow - and it should have been addressed prior to year 1 when everyone else in the world knew how bad the OL was.

The other issue is that it took 3+ quarters for anything to open up - Chicago was daring Burrow and the offense to go deep - and Taylor kept it safe and simple, and screwed the offense over. Chicago was sitting in anything less than 10 yards knowing that they were trying to get the ball out quick.
I've said it since Pre-season: Either Burrow is healthy enough to take these hits, or he's not. The OL is what it is at this point, and either they are going to try and win games, or protect Burrow - but they can't do both.

The Bengals strategy has been to find the playbook they used when Neil O'Donnel was our qb. We're going for the horizontal attack. Your offensive weapons are an overall #1 (Burrow), a top 5 pick (Chase), two second round receiver (Higgins and Boyd), and a second round RB with first round talent (Mixon). And your strategy is to run an offense designed for undrafted free agents. Good plan.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals strategy has been to find the playbook they used when Neil O'Donnel was our qb. We're going for the horizontal attack. Your offensive weapons are an overall #1 (Burrow), a top 5 pick (Chase), two second round receiver (Higgins and Boyd), and a second round RB with first round talent (Mixon). And your strategy is to run an offense designed for undrafted free agents. Good plan.
I think we would have won that game had we tackled Fields on that 3rd down conversion. We would have had 2.5 minutes left with 1 timeout down by 3.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we would have won that game had we tackled Fields on that 3rd down conversion. We would have had 2.5 minutes left with 1 timeout down by 3.
That says more about the Bears than it does about us. They generated 4 straight turnovers in one half and almost put themself in position to lose the game. Make no mistake - The Bears are not a very good team.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That says more about the Bears than it does about us. They generated 4 straight turnovers in one half and almost put themself in position to lose the game. Make no mistake - The Bears are not a very good team.
Professional football team with a good defense and playmakers on offense who were playing at home and were favored by 3 points. It was a rough game, but I am not discouraged like you guys seem to be. Joe Burrows worst game ever led to a 3 point loss on the road. Our defense has me encouraged. Plus, how quickly we were able to score in the 4th quarter. Need some growth, but I like the promise.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Professional football team with a good defense and playmakers on offense who were playing at home and were favored by 3 points. It was a rough game, but I am not discouraged like you guys seem to be. Joe Burrows worst game ever led to a 3 point loss on the road. Our defense has me encouraged. Plus, how quickly we were able to score in the 4th quarter. Need some growth, but I like the promise.
I think our defense has been very encouraging. They've shut down two great running backs and have caused some errors with pressure in the pass game. They also stood tall in the face of 4 turnovers last week. They still need to make bigger plays - The Wilson almost fumble recovery is case in point, but they've been very good.

I'm mostly just disappointed in Taylor. This is year 3 of his program. His offense needs to be more consistent and his game management needs work.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our defense has been very encouraging. They've shut down two great running backs and have caused some errors with pressure in the pass game. They also stood tall in the face of 4 turnovers last week. They still need to make bigger plays - The Wilson almost fumble recovery is case in point, but they've been very good.

I'm mostly just disappointed in Taylor. This is year 3 of his program. His offense needs to be more consistent and his game management needs work.
Agreed.

I've been hard on the Defense the last 2 years, and while I realize that last year was derailed due to injury - there were major strides needed in some areas. Those areas, for the most part, have been addressed. Especially LB. CB should be better with the return of Waynes.

Offensively - this is very disappointing. Again - either Burrow is not healthy enough to take the hits, or this team is going to just play offense scared and leave the defense out to dry.

Either he's out there to open up the offense and be himself as much as he can, or Taylor is afraid he's going to get hurt, in which case they should bench Burrow until he's either 100% ready, or they wash this season as a loss again and finally spend money on the OL to actually protect him.