• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(dead to me ) Bengals game thread cause no one else did

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy over reaction batman. Ruh roh chase can catch, who knew?Congrats on the win.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of thoughts:
- Minnesota is a weird team. They seem like they have a shitload of all-pro type players. Why aren't they better? Zimmer is definitely going to be fired if they don't make the playoffs. Their division might suck though so maybe he makes it.
- Taylor is an absolute idiot. There is a time and place for being ballsy.... Yesterday's 4th and 1 at your own 30 was just stupid.
- How many free rushers are we going to allow up the middle against Burrow? I thought Burrow and Hopkins were touted for being able to adjust protections.
- Damn, its nice to have a kicker.
- I guess the Sewel crowd will be quiet this week.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of thoughts:
- Minnesota is a weird team. They seem like they have a shitload of all-pro type players. Why aren't they better? Zimmer is definitely going to be fired if they don't make the playoffs. Their division might suck though so maybe he makes it.
- Taylor is an absolute idiot. There is a time and place for being ballsy.... Yesterday's 4th and 1 at your own 30 was just stupid.
- How many free rushers are we going to allow up the middle against Burrow? I thought Burrow and Hopkins were touted for being able to adjust protections.

Kirk Cousins didn't look bad yesterday, but he doesn't really inspire me. Minnesota should look into signing Cam Newton, I wouldn't start him right away, but the minute Kirk goes down, he should be ready as possible to be efficient at running that offense at a higher level.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of thoughts:
I've always seemed to think that Hopkins is bad with the line protection calls.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins didn't look bad yesterday, but he doesn't really inspire me. Minnesota should look into signing Cam Newton, I wouldn't start him right away, but the minute Kirk goes down, he should be ready as possible to be efficient at running that offense at a higher level.
Yeah, at one point he was like 10/12 but had like 60 yards. Not exactly lighting it up. The Bengals were playing a heavy over-top scheme and allowing the short passes. It seemed to work.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early thoughts -

I thought the defense looked very, very good aside from a rotten Apple. The pass rush looks good, great push up the middle, and the LB's don't look overmatched anymore. Get Waynes back at CB, and this defense has a chance to be pretty solid.

Offensively - Spain is an issue. Several plays where it looked like the blitzing guy came up his gap, and he and LT Williams doubled on the DE as opposed to Spain passing off the DE to Williams and taking on the blitzer. Same goes for Samaje on his WHIFF of a block. Those are the 2 that really stood out to me - but the line communication has to be better.

I thought the offense played scared early, and late in regulation. Almost as if trying to protect Burrow too much. The 2 big TD's were drives that allowed Burrow to showcase what an open offense can look like if they just let him be him and quit playing with 2/3 TE's. This team is built to go 3/4 Wide and Mixon out of the backfield.

5th round pick doesn't seem so silly now, does it? Damn that kid has a leg.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D-line was fabulous. The Bengals took some grief for choosing to sign Hendrickson and letting Lawson walk....But damn, Hendrickson was a problem for Minny. He made their life miserable. DJ Reader and Larry Ogunjobi were also active all day and caused a bunch of problems. And then the depth was good too - Why the Giants gave us BJ Hill for Billy Price is a total mystery to me. Hill has been in the building for like 10 days and he is already a solid contributor.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early thoughts -

I thought the defense looked very, very good aside from a rotten Apple. The pass rush looks good, great push up the middle, and the LB's don't look overmatched anymore. Get Waynes back at CB, and this defense has a chance to be pretty solid.

Offensively - Spain is an issue. Several plays where it looked like the blitzing guy came up his gap, and he and LT Williams doubled on the DE as opposed to Spain passing off the DE to Williams and taking on the blitzer. Same goes for Samaje on his WHIFF of a block. Those are the 2 that really stood out to me - but the line communication has to be better.

I thought the offense played scared early, and late in regulation. Almost as if trying to protect Burrow too much. The 2 big TD's were drives that allowed Burrow to showcase what an open offense can look like if they just let him be him and quit playing with 2/3 TE's. This team is built to go 3/4 Wide and Mixon out of the backfield.

5th round pick doesn't seem so silly now, does it? Damn that kid has a leg.
Hopkins absolutely whiffed on a couple blitzes up the middle too. One of which got Burrow sacked, another got him hit while having to throw the ball before he wanted.

With all the crap Burrow is going through with his leg, he didn't throw for 300 yards, but Mixon was running very well so you let Mixon do that if he can. Let Burrow go nuts on days the run is not there. Burrow still had a QB rating over 125.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins absolutely whiffed on a couple blitzes up the middle too. One of which got Burrow sacked, another got him hit while having to throw the ball before he wanted.

With all the crap Burrow is going through with his leg, he didn't throw for 300 yards, but Mixon was running very well so you let Mixon do that if he can. Let Burrow go nuts on days the run is not there. Burrow still had a QB rating over 125.
Hopkins struggling probably shouldn't be a surprise, considering the lack of playing time he also got in the pre-season.

I know you don't want to risk injury - but if guys can't get at least multiple game reps in during the pre-season, they really shouldn't be out there for the opener, IMO. Extenuating circumstances aside...but I would love to have seen Burrow get in game 2 and 3, even if just for 2-3 series each. Same with Hopkins.

I think putting anyone out there without any kind of actual game rep for the regular season puts them at greater risk for injury, as they have to adapt from nothing but practice (and likely held back at points, too) to full on game situation without any kind of "warm up" to take hits, make cuts, etc...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopkins struggling probably shouldn't be a surprise, considering the lack of playing time he also got in the pre-season.

I know you don't want to risk injury - but if guys can't get at least multiple game reps in during the pre-season, they really shouldn't be out there for the opener, IMO. Extenuating circumstances aside...but I would love to have seen Burrow get in game 2 and 3, even if just for 2-3 series each. Same with Hopkins.

I think putting anyone out there without any kind of actual game rep for the regular season puts them at greater risk for injury, as they have to adapt from nothing but practice (and likely held back at points, too) to full on game situation without any kind of "warm up" to take hits, make cuts, etc...
After Burrow looked like he got hurt, we got really really conservative on our play calls. I was yelling, if Burrow is that hurt he can't run the offense, for shit sakes put Allen in the game. I guess Burrow was more less fine, it was just the coaches playing scared after the failed 4th down and the apparent injury they thought Burrow suffered.

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually didn't hate the decision to go for it at the 30, but I despised the play call. What I think they should have done was send out the punt team with the intention to run a fake and snap it to the up back. If the gap is open, run the fake, if not check out and just punt it away.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually didn't hate the decision to go for it at the 30, but I despised the play call. What I think they should have done was send out the punt team with the intention to run a fake and snap it to the up back. If the gap is open, run the fake, if not check out and just punt it away.
I probably could have lived with a fake punt. Any play that depends on our offensive line winning is not likely to be the best bet. The fourth down late in the game worked because we fooled them.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably could have lived with a fake punt. Any play that depends on our offensive line winning is not likely to be the best bet. The fourth down late in the game worked because we fooled them.
It just wasn't the place to overthink shit. You are in the middle of the 3rd quarter, your defense has been playing a great game up to that point. You are on the 30, let Huber punt that bitch, pin them around their 20, make them drive the field with you up by 14 points. If we were even just at the 50, I can see going for it, but once again, like others are saying, poor choice of play call. It was too obvious and let defensive line and linebackers fire through the snap. You had all the momentum at that point, defense was playing great, don't risk giving them a short field to regain momentum. Almost cost us the game. Taylor should be ashamed of that call, not just the play call. Good coaches don't risk that much right there up by 14. Make the other team work for it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF you are going to do that there, it needs to be a predetermined idea, where after the 3rd down play, everyone rushes to the line before the defense can get set. I don't think this is used enough on 4th down. Just line up quickly before the defense can set - and at worst, you force the defense to call a time-out, which then plays into your favor with the lead anyway.

I can't tell you how many times during a game, a defense is milling around, and the offense just stands there waiting before calling for the snap rather than just run the original play called, and catching the defense completely out of sync. I get you want to see what defense they are in, but if you have 2 of the DL standing up and running to the other side of the line, it seems like regardless of the play called, those guys are going to get blasted off their feet in a run call, and have zero ability to rush on a pass call. Happens all over football, NCAA, NFL, etc...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF you are going to do that there, it needs to be a predetermined idea, where after the 3rd down play, everyone rushes to the line before the defense can get set. I don't think this is used enough on 4th down. Just line up quickly before the defense can set - and at worst, you force the defense to call a time-out, which then plays into your favor with the lead anyway.

I can't tell you how many times during a game, a defense is milling around, and the offense just stands there waiting before calling for the snap rather than just run the original play called, and catching the defense completely out of sync. I get you want to see what defense they are in, but if you have 2 of the DL standing up and running to the other side of the line, it seems like regardless of the play called, those guys are going to get blasted off their feet in a run call, and have zero ability to rush on a pass call. Happens all over football, NCAA, NFL, etc...
And unfortunately, you can't plan for that plan. Middle of the 3rd quarter, you are up 14, and you are facing 3rd and long. You can't or at least won't plan on if we get a long play of 14 or 15 yards and within a yard, run up to the line of scrimmage and prepare to catch the defense off balance and run the ball with us deep in our territory up by 14. There is not a coach in the league that would think that far ahead with their balls leading the charge in that scenario.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And unfortunately, you can't plan for that plan. Middle of the 3rd quarter, you are up 14, and you are facing 3rd and long. You can't or at least won't plan on if we get a long play of 14 or 15 yards and within a yard, run up to the line of scrimmage and prepare to catch the defense off balance and run the ball with us deep in our territory up by 14. There is not a coach in the league that would think that far ahead with their balls leading the charge in that scenario.
No, but it's something you can practice. You have some code/signal that gets the offense to hurry to the line. No different than the 2-minute drill, really.

Overriding point being - there are multiple things you can do, if you are going to get wild and go for it on the 30, then you better have something up your sleeve that helps tilt the odds in your favor. Simply going with this OL group in hopes of getting a yard is not very smart. In general, I hate "goalline" sets because it favors the defense, IMO. To get the yard, you have to create space - not lessen it, which is what jumbo/goalline packages do.

If you are going to do it that way, then you better get it done fast, before the defense can set.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but it's something you can practice. You have some code/signal that gets the offense to hurry to the line. No different than the 2-minute drill, really.

Overriding point being - there are multiple things you can do, if you are going to get wild and go for it on the 30, then you better have something up your sleeve that helps tilt the odds in your favor. Simply going with this OL group in hopes of getting a yard is not very smart. In general, I hate "goalline" sets because it favors the defense, IMO. To get the yard, you have to create space - not lessen it, which is what jumbo/goalline packages do.

If you are going to do it that way, then you better get it done fast, before the defense can set.
In those situations, I absolutely prefer a spread offense. Get Boyd, Higgins, Chase and Tate spread out with Mixon back to help block and spread the defense out completely. If they are sold on the pass, which they would be dumb to do, you got a Mixon draw or even a Burrow draw up the middle. Mixon can also be a check down option in the flat. But I like our chances of one of our WR's winning their matchup on defense. Unless it is lik ethe 4th and stupid half inch like it was on the second 4th down. At that point, I do not mind jumbo set with only a QB sneak to get the push to get to the spot. Pick the side with the weakest point.