• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

De'Aaron Fox - A left-handed Chris Paul?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's more of a scorer, less of a facilitator.

Kevin Johnson 2.0...

Minus the injuries, hopefully.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, prisoner of the moment. Fox has had a great run this year but all it takes is 2 rough weeks and we're back tracking our statements pretty hastily.

Last year, myself included, we were all talking about Donovan Mitchell being the next big thing. That talk has fallen off considerably. Same with Tatum. Doesn't mean they're any less talented than we thought, only that hype help build up their status.

Also players under 21 is a pretty small list. Hell Fox himself turns 21 in two days. It pretty much eliminates anyone from the 2016 NBA draft. Ben Simmons and Jaylen Brown are both 22. So you're talking about the last two draft classes alone. That's a small list. Under 25 would be a better way to gauge this. KAT is pretty much only 2 years older than Fox.

Exactly. Other players adjust, figure out tendencies, etc. When that starts to happen, he'll need to show that he can adjust too.

If he does, there'll be a lot of all star games in his future.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HurricaneDij39

I can see where some confusion has taken place. Re-read my initial post. I was saying that it was MY hot take and ME being prisoner of the moment thinking De'Aaron Fox could be the best player in his draft class. This had NO reference to you at all.

I was actually agreeing with you. But you chose to see it as me attacking you. Funny how that works.

@HurricaneDij39 Just wondering if you saw this post. Hope it offers clarity. I think the entire "argument" here was just a matter of wording and perspective.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing him to Chris Paul is ludicrous though. Paul is a tough defender.

Not to mention, their games are almost nothing alike.

The player I think Fox compares closest to is John Wall because of his length and athleticism. Paul has an entirely different body type and skill set.

Fox could end up being better than Wall if he is able to keep his shooting percentages up, but that is the comp, IMO.

Reactions: DJ

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The player I think Fox compares closest to is John Wall because of his length and athleticism. Paul has an entirely different body type and skill set.

Fox could end up being better than Wall if he is able to keep his shooting percentages up, but that is the comp, IMO.

Maybe his career projects in line with that of John Wall, and maybe it doesn't. However, I can honestly say he's much further along in his career than John Wall was at the same age...

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wall or Westbrook were the two I thought were his best all star player comps because of the athleticism and speed up and down the court while people have questioned their ability to shoot 3's at a high(or even average)%. CP3 has been a consistently great shooter and more of a pass first PG than Fox, who has had a good season in both areas but is still an unknown to how good of a shooter or facilitator he can be.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe his career projects in line with that of John Wall, and maybe it doesn't. However, I can honestly say he's much further along in his career than John Wall was at the same age...

Much further along based on what?

Fox: 18.1 ppg on 13.9 shots in 32.1 min, .468/.387/.721, 7.5 apg, 3.6 rpg, 1.7 spg, 3.1 TOpg
Wall: 16.3 ppg on 13.1 shots in 36.2 min, .423/.071/.789, 8.0 apg, 4.5 rpg, 1.4 spg, 3.9 TOpg

For some odd reason, Wall only attempted .6 3pt/g in that year (he was .296 the year prior). Everything else, a few in each players' favor. Fox has caught up though, as he was considerably behind in assists, rebounds and steals in their rookie seasons.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wall or Westbrook were the two I thought were his best all star player comps because of the athleticism and speed up and down the court while people have questioned their ability to shoot 3's at a high(or even average)%. CP3 has been a consistently great shooter and more of a pass first PG than Fox, who has had a good season in both areas but is still an unknown to how good of a shooter or facilitator he can be.

Fox may be as quick, but Westbrook is a much more dominant (and strong) athlete. He imposes his will on a game like few others have.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the fact that Fox has like 50x the athleticism Paul ever had, maybe.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox may be as quick, but Westbrook is a much more dominant (and strong) athlete. He imposes his will on a game like few others have.
Of course, Westbrook is a special player with that strength and athleticism. Fox could be a more efficient scorer/shooter than Westbrook, he's having a good year in that area but it's just year 2.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, Westbrook is a special player with that strength and athleticism. Fox could be a more efficient scorer/shooter than Westbrook, he's having a good year in that area but it's just year 2.

I wouldn't project him anywhere near averaging a triple double though.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't project him anywhere near averaging a triple double though.
I really don't care about that, he'll get some throughout his career but if he can run the offense well and play like an all star while helping them make the playoffs and eventually go deep into the playoffs I'll be happy. I'd rather Fox shoot around 40% from 3 and avg 4 rebounds than shoot around 30% from 3 and avg 10 rebounds.