• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Price

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that the majority, myself included, would like to trade for a bat as priority number one for obvious reasons. Though there was some hesitation before the season started in making the trade for Price, but at this point in the season is it something worth revisiting? I'm kind of at the point that if they were to take Walker & Franklin it may be a worthy trade. If we manage to get into a wild card spot could you imagine a starting rotation of King, Kuma, & Price? Throw Elias and a healthy Paxton in the pen, pretty scary. Granted, we have a long way to go in making the playoffs, but it's something that may be worth a visit. I guess my concern is that we still need a bat, and fleecing us for Walker & Franklin would leave us out of resources when it comes to trade chips.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never trade with the Rays. They'll find a way to trade Price for Cano (with Seattle picking up the contract) plus Walker and Paxton.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Price is as good as advertised or as he thinks he is. I would do it for Franklin, but not Walker or Paxton. Plus he made it clear he didn't want anything to do with Seattle. I would rather go after Lee or Hamels from Philly if you were going for a front line pitcher...but still would trade either pitcher mentioned.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only rotation spot that needs improvement at this point is the revolving door that is the 5th spot and that can be upgraded with a healthy and back-to-form Walker or Paxton. The starting staff overall has been solid this year, especially now that Kuma is back, and if we are to trade either of them, I'd rather it be for a big bat (preferably a big bat that we had control of for multiple years) than for another starter. The Mariners won't become World Series contenders by trading for another starting pitcher and since Price has already said he wouldn't stay in Seattle if he was traded here and since he doesn't fill a need, I don't see a good reason to make that deal.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather go after Lee or Hamels from Philly if you were going for a front line pitcher...but still would trade either pitcher mentioned.

Great point, :agree:. That's a team that may be about ready to dump some guy's, and what better than a redo for Lee? If only they would be willing to accept the same kind of highway robbery in sending the guy's we did the first time. Montero, Franklin, and Erasmo. Done!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that big of a fan of David Price. He's good, but not as "great" as his numbers suggest he is and the price tag he would come with if we 1) wanted to trade for him and 2) wanted to extend him long term

I'd rather go all in on Taijuan Walker.

Plus Price isn't even pitching better than Elias or Young this year. If there was a package that didn't include the big 3, I'd do it. But if we ever had to give up one of the big 3s, I want someone that I am absolutely in love with. Price just isn't that guy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point, :agree:. That's a team that may be about ready to dump some guy's, and what better than a redo for Lee? If only they would be willing to accept the same kind of highway robbery in sending the guy's we did the first time. Montero, Franklin, and Erasmo. Done!

A-Freaken-Men to that! I would take that and run. Add Ackley for D. Brown and we would be sitting pretty.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that big of a fan of David Price. He's good, but not as "great" as his numbers suggest he is and the price tag he would come with if we 1) wanted to trade for him and 2) wanted to extend him long term

I'd rather go all in on Taijuan Walker.

Plus Price isn't even pitching better than Elias or Young this year. If there was a package that didn't include the big 3, I'd do it. But if we ever had to give up one of the big 3s, I want someone that I am absolutely in love with. Price just isn't that guy.

he hits free agency in a half a year.

he made it very clear last year that he had no desire to extend with the m's. It wasn't ambiguous in the slightest.
David Price Doesn?t Want To Play For The Mariners | U.S.S. Mariner

he doesn't have a no-trade clause, but that does nothing to help the m's since they are not going to contend this year, and teams won't give up much if we dealt him since he'd only be guaranteed on their roster for a few months.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest concern is the contract that would come with David Price, if he were to even stay in Seattle (which it appeared unlikely he would). I would feel differently about trading for Price if I knew we had a possibility of keeping him long term.

That being said, the Mariners biggest priority is not adding another front of the line starter, it is solidifying the back end of the rotation and adding a hitter who doesn't look like he belongs in AAA. If the Mariners can improve the spot occupied by Beaven, Ramirez and Maurer we will be a lot better off. I like the idea that AZ mentioned of Cole Hamels or Cliff Lee, but with their contracts I think it is rather unlikely either of them are any serious options due to the Mariners unwillingness to spend money.

I would actually prefer Cliff Lee of the two. Despite Lee being 5 years older, I have more faith in his ability to keep up a high level of play over the next couple years than I do in Hamels. Perhaps I am biased because I loved watching Cliff Lee pitch, but I feel as if he is the type of guy who can pitch at a high level until his late 30s.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the team goes after someone, it should be a minor move. I am just not a big believer in trading a cost controlled player of the future for a chance at a 1 game playoff that any team can easily lose 1-0. Especially this team. If the M's had a hold of the division and wanted to make a long run in the playoffs, then I can see making a bigger move and at this point I think it should be a bat. We have 2 aces and a couple very good pitchers along with a dominant bullpen. We need a RH power hitter in LF, 1B or DH. All 3 preferably. LoMo is starting to show a little, but time will be the judge of that.

The next month will tell us a lot about this team. June had some weaker opponents and in years past this team would have lost to them, but they have shown that they can beat the lower level competition. They have even shown that they can beat the better competition, but lets see how they do in a long stretch against the better teams. We bested the A's in the last couple months but I am guessing we had a weaker schedule. Let's see how they perform, under pressure, against our division rivals and WC challengers. We have 13 games against the A's, Angels, Orioles and Indians before the deadline.

If I had a say, I would move a reliever for a RH bat. Wilhelmsen? Furbush? Mauer?