• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Ortiz is sick of the asterisk

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYBODY does PED's. Going back to the days when "Greenies" were available to players in a freaking bowl in the locker room.

Personally, I dont give a shit. Players are still getting away with it. HGH, steriods, etc.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, they really didnt.

delgado was a 1st baseman, not a DH,for most of his career. thats not really similar.

delgados 5 years are up in 2015 or 2016. he retired after a brief stint with the sox in pawtucket in 2009 or 2010, i forget.

he may get in.

the point is that DH is going to hurt his chances.. Being the Best DH is not a HOF accomplishment... His numbers has to get him in...

Carlos Delgado's offensive numbers are almost a mirror of Ortiz... and Delgado played an actual position... If he does not make the HOF(which I don't think he should) then neither should Ortiz...

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing Ortiz is right about is that Dan Shaughnessy is a dewshbag. I can't say he's the biggest a-hole in Boston sports writing lore with the likes of Bob Ryan, Jerry Callahan, Ron Borges, Steve Buckley among other notable a-holes, but he is near the top of the list.

I don't disagree but I'd safely put Borges at the top. Nobody will ever knock that dumb shit douchebag from his perch.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point is that DH is going to hurt his chances.. Being the Best DH is not a HOF accomplishment... His numbers has to get him in...

Carlos Delgado's offensive numbers are almost a mirror of Ortiz... and Delgado played an actual position... If he does not make the HOF(which I don't think he should) then neither should Ortiz...
ortiz will get elected...and its going to enrage a lot of people (especially you NYers).

its basically a give in at this point. he will get in first ballot...he'll break that wall.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ortiz will get elected...and its going to enrage a lot of people (especially you NYers).

its basically a give in at this point. he will get in first ballot...he'll break that wall.

If he gets in I would be enraged, not because he is a Red sox... Its because he doesn't deserve it...

Manny Ramirez is a clear HOF, but wont make it because of being Manny...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. No HOF for Bonds either.
as stated

bonds has BALCO and a federal case over his head

so does Arod

ortiz...well, he has a failed test that wasnt supposed to go public, for something we have no idea what it is. it could have been a GNC item for all we know.

again, i still think he did take something...but what and how benign or not was it?

no one knows

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awww. An open letter on Derek Jeter's webpage from Ortiz. That's so cute. Bless his steroid-enlarged heart.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ortiz will be the first DH elected to the HOF, ive said this for years.

while edgar was great, he toiled in anonymity in the NW territories and was very quiet and reserved. ortiz is a very public, very available figure. some could argue he was the face of MLB for a time.

plus he didnt have ortiz's power

as we stand today, statistically...ortiz is the best DH of all time.

While your right.... it is ironic, I mean how many times has Ortiz won the Edgar Martinez Award????

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah going with the ignorance defense.....

Ortiz was one of 104 players who tested positive for a banned substance during an anonymous, preliminary round of drug testing in Spring Training 2003. The tests results were never supposed to be made public. Ortiz insists he's never purposefully taken performance-enhancing drugs, and still doesn't know what he tested positive for more than a decade later.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a great player but he does fit the exact profile you'd make of a steroid user and he has the dirty test. Im of the opinion that you let all of them in but mention their failed tests or steroid speculation. He did win a World Series basically on his own and was a component in other Boston Evil Empires. People expect him to be good next year and he is freakin 40. He deserves credit somewhere.

For the most part, I don't have a problem with roiders making into the hall. The shit was (and still is) so rampant how could we possibly pretend to know who was/is clean? There's also the fact that for a lot of the juicers, there really were no rules and EVERYONE was turning a blind eye to blatant usage.

I do have a bit of an issue for guys that have tested positive after MLB got more serious about the testing. IF you're testing positive now, it's because you're either buying the cheap shit, or you're a dumb fuck.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The asterisk is like the friend zone. No use in fighting it, Ortiz. The number of deserving Hall players already not in is ridiculous

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
derek jeter used PED's.

what a miraculous turn around he had in 2012...guys always lead the league in hits at 38 after a sharp decline...and a 13 year gap in between hit titles.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
derek jeter used PED's.

what a miraculous turn around he had in 2012...guys always lead the league in hits at 38 after a sharp decline...and a 13 year gap in between hit titles.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, but I think your assessment of his stats is a tad melodramatic.

With our knowledge of how PED's have permeated ALL of professional sports, and how difficult their usage is to detect even under WADA protocols, I consider anyone that vehemently defends a player as a non-juicer to be a fanboy.

I just assume they're all on something or another. Except for Omar Visquel; that man is as pure as the driven snow.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing Ortiz is right about is that Dan Shaughnessy is a dewshbag. I can't say he's the biggest a-hole in Boston sports writing lore with the likes of Bob Ryan, Jerry Callahan, Ron Borges, Steve Buckley among other notable a-holes, but he is near the top of the list.

Don't forget Colonel Dave Egan, who asked "Why are we having a day for THIS guy?" when Ted Williams retired, and Mel Webb, who thought Ted wasn't a top 10 player in the AL in his 1947 triple crown year and gave the MVP to Joe DiMaggio.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only problem is that he is sick of the asterisk, but the asterisk only matters if he makes the HOF... He clearly thinks he should make it and it seems like he is way to focused on it for an active player... Especially one who if he does make it will make history for being the FIRST DH to make it...

Just play the game!!!

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me one bit, but I think your assessment of his stats is a tad melodramatic.

With our knowledge of how PED's have permeated ALL of professional sports, and how difficult their usage is to detect even under WADA protocols, I consider anyone that vehemently defends a player as a non-juicer to be a fanboy.

I just assume they're all on something or another. Except for Omar Visquel; that man is as pure as the driven snow.

Hasn't Jose Mesa killed Vizquel yet?