• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Ortiz is sick of the asterisk

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Ortiz's Players' Tribune Essay Bashes His Critics & Dan Shaughnessy | BostInno

David Ortiz Blasts His Critics in a Biting First-Person Essay
He insists he's clean, says he belongs in the Hall of Fame and lays into the "reporter with the jheri curl from the Boston Globe."

Alex Reimer
03/26/15 @8:37pm in Sports

http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url...s+in+a+Biting+First-Person+Essay&via=BostInno
In a scathing first-person essay on Derek Jeter's Players' Tribune, Ortiz defends himself against steroid accusations with such fervor that you almost have no choice but to believe him. The piece starts with an anecdote about Major League Baseball drug testers who showed up to his door at 7:30 a.m. one day this offseason. Ortiz, 39, says he's been tested more than 80 times since MLB implemented its drug policy in 2004.

In some people’s minds, I will always be considered a cheater," Ortiz says. "And that’s bullshit. Mark my words: Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me. You know how many times I’ve been tested since 2004? More than 80. They say these tests are random. If it’s really random, I should start playing the damn lottery. Some people still think the testing is a joke. It’s no joke. Ten times a season these guys come into the clubhouse or my home with their briefcases. I have never failed a single one of those tests and I never will."

Ortiz was one of 104 players who tested positive for a banned substance during an anonymous, preliminary round of drug testing in Spring Training 2003. The tests results were never supposed to be made public. Ortiz insists he's never purposefully taken performance-enhancing drugs, and still doesn't know what he tested positive for more than a decade later.

"Let me tell you something," Ortiz writes. "Say whatever you want about me — love me, hate me. But I’m no bullshitter. I never knowingly took any steroids. If I tested positive for anything, it was for something in pills I bought at the damn mall. If you think that ruins everything I have done in this game, there is nothing I can say to convince you different."

Ortiz is no dummy. He's seen the severe consequences players have payed when they've lied about their steroid use. Either he's telling the truth, or he's the most arrogant individual who's ever walked the face of the earth.

There's no parsing Ortiz's words here. He says he's clean, and belongs in the Hall of Fame. In an era in which many celebrities are hesitant to say anything of substance, his candor is mesmerizing.

"Hell yes I deserve to be in the Hall of Fame," Ortiz writes. "I’ve won three World Series since MLB introduced comprehensive drug testing. I’ve performed year after year after year. But if a bunch of writers who have never swung a bat want to tell me it’s all for nothing, OK. Why do they write my legacy?"

On the topic of writers, Ortiz has some harsh words for Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, who's been one of his most ardent critics at times. Shaughnessy penned a column in May 2013 that speculates on Ortiz's possible steroid abuse. Ortiz had gotten off to a torrid start that season despite missing all of Spring Training.

In 2013, I came off the DL and started hot," Ortiz says. "My first 20 games I was hitting like .400. And the reporter with the red jheri curl from The Boston Globe comes into the locker room says, 'You’re from the Dominican. You’re older. You fit the profile of a steroid user. Don’t you think you’re a prime suspect?'

"He’s saying this with a straight face. I had taken like 70 at-bats. Anybody can get hot and hit .400 with 70 at-bats. I was stunned. I’m like, I’m Dominican? I fit the profile? Are you kidding me?

"I wanted to kill this guy. But you can’t react. That’s what they want. They want you to get angry so they can bury you. So I just smiled at him and asked for his address.

"Why do you want my address?" he said.

“Because I just got tested two days ago.” I said. “I’ll mail you the f****ing results.”

Ortiz hit 30 home runs in 2013, and took home World Series MVP honors that fall.

But if he didn't get his last laugh then, he's probably enjoying it now.

RazorsEdge

Go Local Sports Team
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,626.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe him, I don't know why but I do.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't want the asterisk, he shouldn't have taken PEDs. The concept that his career arc is the result of clean living is laughably naive. The only real question is whether he has stopped.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Edgar in the HOF yet? No? Sit down, Papi.
ortiz will be the first DH elected to the HOF, ive said this for years.

while edgar was great, he toiled in anonymity in the NW territories and was very quiet and reserved. ortiz is a very public, very available figure. some could argue he was the face of MLB for a time.

plus he didnt have ortiz's power

as we stand today, statistically...ortiz is the best DH of all time.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't want the asterisk, he shouldn't have taken PEDs. The concept that his career arc is the result of clean living is laughably naive. The only real question is whether he has stopped.
do you have any MLBPA sanctioned tests he failed?

same boat as bonds.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS

CHB is a favorite around here...he fires up everyone.

if you dont know who CHB is, you're not a sox fan..

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing Ortiz is right about is that Dan Shaughnessy is a dewshbag. I can't say he's the biggest a-hole in Boston sports writing lore with the likes of Bob Ryan, Jerry Callahan, Ron Borges, Steve Buckley among other notable a-holes, but he is near the top of the list.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS

If by "favorite" you mean most Boston fans wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, then yes, he is a fan favorite.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I think he's in the same exact boat as Bonds and ARod. They all only failed the survey testing and they all juiced.
im not 100% sure ortiz did. bonds has BALCO. Arod has that idiot in TB.

all ortiz has is a secret test leak (not a legit MLPBA sanctioned test), that we dont even know what it was for. it could very well be a legal (at the time) supplement.

did he he take something? most likely, yeah. but of all the accused...he has the most convoluted/iffy trail.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by "favorite" you mean most Boston fans wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, then yes, he is a fan favorite.
"jurassic carl"

lmao

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems angry, does that mean roid rage??

I don't know if he deserves HOF, but there is no reason for an active player to be focused this much on making the HOF...

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems angry, does that mean roid rage??

I don't know if he deserves HOF, but there is no reason for an active player to be focused this much on making the HOF...
  • First player in Red Sox history to hit 40 or more home runs in three consecutive seasons (2004–2006)
  • Third player in Red Sox history, joining Carl Yastrzemski and Manny Ramirez with 3 seasons of 40 or more home runs
  • Set single season record for home runs by a Designated Hitter in 2005 (43), then again in 2006 (47)
  • 8 seasons of 30 or more home runs (2003-2007, 2010, 2013, 2014) Tied with Ted Williams for most in Red Sox history (since passed williams)
  • 8 seasons of at least 30 home runs and 100 RBIs (2003–2007, 2010, 2013, 2014) Most in Red Sox history
  • 17 career postseason home runs (Tied for 7th all time in MLB history)
  • 60 career postseason RBIs (5th all time in MLB history)

add to that..most HR's ever for a DH

most hits every by a DH

over 1500 RBI

.926 career OPS

closing in on 2200 hits

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, but BEST DH doesn't mean anything compared to Best of anything else... All a DH does is bat, and he is not the best Batter, and he wont even be the best batter who doesn't reach the HR milestone...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously a great player but he does fit the exact profile you'd make of a steroid user and he has the dirty test. Im of the opinion that you let all of them in but mention their failed tests or steroid speculation. He did win a World Series basically on his own and was a component in other Boston Evil Empires. People expect him to be good next year and he is freakin 40. He deserves credit somewhere.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Carlos Delgado a HOF?? Ortiz and Delgado had very similar offensive careers...

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS

Carl Everett may have been completely nuts, but his "Curly Headed Boyfriend" line is one of the greatest in Bosox history!

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Carlos Delgado a HOF?? Ortiz and Delgado had very similar careers...
no, they really didnt.

delgado was a 1st baseman, not a DH,for most of his career. thats not really similar.

delgados 5 years are up in 2015 or 2016. he retired after a brief stint with the sox in pawtucket in 2009 or 2010, i forget.

he may get in.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Everett may have been completely nuts, but his "Curly Headed Boyfriend" line is one of the greatest in Bosox history!
absolute gold!