• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

David Griffin: "I was miserable building around Lebron"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Griffin's comments...

I said basically this same thing on the off-season thread...

Griffin has already said that some of his comments were taken out of context.

On credit, what he said was basically the same thing KD said about it and he wasn't blaming Lebron, he was blaming the media who are the ones who assign credit.

Also, I have no doubt that the pressure of maintaining a title contending team is very exhausting and not much fun at all. I remember Jerry West saying similar things re: building the Lakers and trying to keep them on top. He has said that he couldn't even enjoy watching the games because he was so nervous.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what every team does when they are their "window of opportunity" to win titles.

Once a team is a true contender/has won a title, it is no longer about building long term or looking to the future. It's about winning titles right now.

Your Warriors are a great example. They spent a few years building to be a contender. Once they reached the finals and won...it was all about continuing to win now and sustain it as long as possible. Not about trying to be a contender in 5 years by developing young talent.

When the hell did the cavs ever do that? I know, when he left for Miami and they didn't have to keep making these horrible moves to appease him. The W's had 3 young all stars. They didn't need to worry about long term.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the hell did the cavs ever do that? I know, when he left for Miami and they didn't have to keep making these horrible moves to appease him. The W's had 3 young all stars. They didn't need to worry about long term.

That's what the Cavs were trying to do when Lebron came back. They already had Kyrie who was showing himself to be an all star caliber player and they had just drafted Wiggins (who was being touted as "the next Lebron") at the time.

Lebron returned, the Cavs switched to "win now" mode, traded away Wiggins for Love and looked to get more "Lebron friendly" vets.

The difference is that the Warriors were able to develop their guys into a contender before they went into win now mode and started bringing in veteran role players (and of course, eventually sign AD).

Maybe the Lakers would be an even closer match to the Cavs. They were trying to build their young core, tried to make it work for a season and then traded them away to get AD to pair with Lebron to be contenders and win now.

Regardless of how far they developed their young talent, all 3 teams ended up in "win now" mode and were no longer looking to develop young players.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what did he say "before". If you have quotes from Griffin from "before" and can define what "before" is I am all ears.

In reference to Perk's response, about Griffin lauding Lebron for adjusting to the culture in Cleveland

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same shit people have been saying for years, which is LeBron holding teams hostage with his whole "win now" mentality preventing moves that make sense long-term.
I am no Labrawn fan, but you have to admit they did in fact "win now"

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if Griffin wasn't happy with "winning now", he made the right move in taking the Pels' job.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is about credit for that title it’s time to give it up to KD and Westbrook as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you are a massive homer.

Massive homer for who? Lebron? I'm not the biggest fan, and just trying to make due as he passes through. I see him as a means to an end; drawing in AD, then being replaced by another max player to pair with AD once he's done. He's the catalyst for rebuilding the Lakers, and any rings won with him still on the roster are gravy.