• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Manning = Fired

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, i didn't want to post anything b/c i don't want to get my hopes up

but according to Wake's 247 beat writer

-there is about a 99% chance that the next Wake Forest head coach will be either: Tommy Amaker, Steve Forbes, Pat Kelsey, Wes Miller, Ryan Odom or Thad Matta

-all six of those guys have already interviewed (yesterday + today)

-this is expected to be a fairly quick process. early estimate is that the new HC will be named by next Monday

Thad would be a really good hire IMO. Believe it or not he's only 52, which I was surprised. He's either aged really well, or looked like he was in his 50's in his late 30's. Lol. If he's fully recovered from his health issues he could have a ton of success. Kids will be able to relate to all the pros he's put in the nba.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randolph Childress was one of the best basketball players to have come thru Wake Forest, EVER! And, he was probably a very loyal Manning assistant, but they need a new direction as the past two coaches have sucked bad!

Even when Jay Wright came to Villanova he had no ties to their school, he played at Bucknell.

When Bill Foster stepped down at Duke and was replaced with Mike Krzyzewski I'm sure there were many who said Hubie Brown or Chuck Daly would have been better choices as they were assistant coaches under Vic Bubas. Sometimes it's just a better move to get someone who has no prior ties to a program.

If Coach K decides to quit I'm sure they will get a great candidate from the coaching tree he has established, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if they want to venture out and hire an established and successful coach with zero ties to Duke.

Very possible!

You continue to amaze me at being able to spell Coach K's last name correctly since I have been practicing this for years and I still can't get it right. Heck, I can't even pronounce it right!

I know, you are your family's trivial pursuit champion 3 years running but spelling and pronunciation is not involved in that game.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very possible!

You continue to amaze me at being able to spell Coach K's last name correctly since I have been practicing this for years and I still can't get it right. Heck, I can't even pronounce it right!

I know, you are your family's trivial pursuit champion 3 years running but spelling and pronunciation is not involved in that game.

Pronounced "Sh-Chef-Ski" when I'm not drinking

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randolph Childress was one of the best basketball players to have come thru Wake Forest, EVER! And, he was probably a very loyal Manning assistant, but they need a new direction as the past two coaches have sucked bad!

Even when Jay Wright came to Villanova he had no ties to their school, he played at Bucknell.

When Bill Foster stepped down at Duke and was replaced with Mike Krzyzewski I'm sure there were many who said Hubie Brown or Chuck Daly would have been better choices as they were assistant coaches under Vic Bubas. Sometimes it's just a better move to get someone who has no prior ties to a program.

If Coach K decides to quit I'm sure they will get a great candidate from the coaching tree he has established, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if they want to venture out and hire an established and successful coach with zero ties to Duke.

Very possible!

Pronounced "Sh-Chef-Ski" when I'm not drinking

I got the middle part right because I'm a CHEF on the grill out on my deck whether I'm drinking or not out on my deck. Scratch that because I'm always drinking when I grill out on my deck. Thanks for the correct pronunciation my friend!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m very polish...and even I’m baffled by that pronunciation.

I'm very Irish so thank you for making me feel better about my pronunciation.

I guess I'll just have to stick with Coach K.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, no decision yet? I would have thought they'd decided on somebody by now, anyways we should have something to discuss soon, right @Hitman Hart ?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, no decision yet? I would have thought they'd decided on somebody by now, anyways we should have something to discuss soon, right @Hitman Hart ?

I'm thinking there'll be an announcement by the end of the week

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forbes and Miller are out now, according to the WSJ

Chris Collins is a new name that has popped up

there was a Tommy Amaker sighting on campus today

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forbes and Miller are out now, according to the WSJ

Chris Collins is a new name that has popped up

there was a Tommy Amaker sighting on campus today

Pretty uninspiring if Wake goes with Collins or Amaker IMO. 2 combined tournament appearances in like 17 years at the P5 level.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty uninspiring if Wake goes with Collins or Amaker IMO. 2 combined tournament appearances in like 17 years at the P5 level.

apparently that report was false. Goodman and the Wake Forest 247sports writer have both debunked it.

Collins isn't a candidate, but Amaker is. I can be talked into Amaker (Michigan was a dumpster fire before he got there + he did take Seton Hall to a Sweet 16) With that said, I wouldn't be thrilled with Amaker.

Goodman says that Forbes and Miller are leading the pack

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently that report was false. Goodman and the Wake Forest 247sports writer have both debunked it.

Collins isn't a candidate, but Amaker is. I can be talked into Amaker (Michigan was a dumpster fire before he got there + he did take Seton Hall to a Sweet 16) With that said, I wouldn't be thrilled with Amaker.

Goodman says that Forbes and Miller are leading the pack

I'd just rather take a shot at the unknown and maybe hit it out of the park, rather than hire someone who been pretty average at the P5 level. Even that S16 run, was more of them playing well in the tournament than actually having a really good year.

Also, I would agree he took over a dumpster fire in Ann Arbor, but I still think he underachieved there. He was always able to get talent, but never get them to the tournament. His overall record at Michigan is much better than Manning's at Wake, but the B1G was really down most of his tenure there.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just rather take a shot at the unknown and maybe hit it out of the park, rather than hire someone who been pretty average at the P5 level. Even that S16 run, was more of them playing well in the tournament than actually having a really good year.

Also, I would agree he took over a dumpster fire in Ann Arbor, but I still think he underachieved there. He was always able to get talent, but never get them to the tournament. His overall record at Michigan is much better than Manning's at Wake, but the B1G was really down most of his tenure there.

Geezus I hope there aren't anymore former Duke assistants as HC's in the ACC

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sarr is immediately eligible that would be a big time get for a team

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geezus I hope there aren't anymore former Duke assistants as HC's in the ACC

Coach K has always said that he doesn't like to play against any of his former players/coaches.

With that said, Amaker still remains my first choice for the Duke job when it becomes available with Dawkins a close second.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach K has always said that he doesn't like to play against any of his former players/coaches.

With that said, Amaker still remains my first choice for the Duke job when it becomes available with Dawkins a close second.

I know where you stand on that one @tomcat1 and I have nothing against Tommy Amaker either, and I've stated Capel would be my choice if it were right now, but the more I think on it the more I'm leaning towards Quinn Snyder. When it comes down to it I think it's all timing anyway

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know where you stand on that one @tomcat1 and I have nothing against Tommy Amaker either, and I've stated Capel would be my choice if it were right now, but the more I think on it the more I'm leaning towards Quinn Snyder. When it comes down to it I think it's all timing anyway

he could easily pull a Muffet McGraw and hand pick his successor...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could easily pull a Muffet McGraw and hand pick his successor...

Duke will be in an interesting spot because it's not like all the guys with Duke ties have been ultra successful as head coaches. There isn't a Roy Williams type of coach to parallel what UNC was able to do. I don't think there really is a home run hire out there unless they get one Wright, Self, Bennett, Beard. All the up and coming guys(Shaka, Wojo, Archie) have kind of stalled out where they are. I'm trying to think of an off the radar guy like K was when he was hired but cant really come up with anyone. Honestly, I think at this point Quin Snyder is the best and most realistic option. Has collegiate and NBA experience, has been good in the NBA.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quinn Snyder is not a bad choice at all and you're absolutely right, it's all about timing, just like almost everything else in life is.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duke will be in an interesting spot because it's not like all the guys with Duke ties have been ultra successful as head coaches. There isn't a Roy Williams type of coach to parallel what UNC was able to do. I don't think there really is a home run hire out there unless they get one Wright, Self, Bennett, Beard. All the up and coming guys(Shaka, Wojo, Archie) have kind of stalled out where they are. I'm trying to think of an off the radar guy like K was when he was hired but cant really come up with anyone. Honestly, I think at this point Quin Snyder is the best and most realistic option. Has collegiate and NBA experience, has been good in the NBA.

Good observation and particularly with your example of Roy Williams. I'm still somewhat surprised that UNC was able to get 'Ole Roy' to leave Kansas with the success he was having there but the move he made obviously turned out to be a great move for him. I guess it came down to how could he say NO to Dean Smith.