• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Manning = Fired

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if you go the SoCon route, you have to give Steve Forbes a call first.

Miller is a nice backup plan. Both Forbes and Miller have had multiple top 100 teams at their respective schools. That's pretty impressive for the SoCon.

Since I've been a Baptist for my entire life how could I not like Wake Forest?

Since I'm older than dirt I can even remember when Wake Forest played their home games in Wake Forest and produced two All-Americans named Dickie Hemrick and Lefty Davis.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why Ryan Odom is on the target list, but then I look at his resume and I don't get it. If they are going to pull someone from the Am East why not Jon Becker. Guy has finished 1st or 2nd in that league 8 out of 9 years. .840 conf winning percentage compared to Odom at .625.

I'd look at a guy like Anthony Grant. He's a different coach than the one at Bama IMO.

I'd go Grant, Forbes, Miller in that order.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think if you go the SoCon route, you have to give Steve Forbes a call first.

Miller is a nice backup plan. Both Forbes and Miller have had multiple top 100 teams at their respective schools. That's pretty impressive for the SoCon.

I wouldn't rule out Pat Kelsey yet, but Forbes would kill it at Wake. Miller would be a good hire, Forbes would be a great hire.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why Ryan Odom is on the target list, but then I look at his resume and I don't get it. If they are going to pull someone from the Am East why not Jon Becker. Guy has finished 1st or 2nd in that league 8 out of 9 years. .840 conf winning percentage compared to Odom at .625.

I'd look at a guy like Anthony Grant. He's a different coach than the one at Bama IMO.

I feel sure that Dave Odom is the reason Ryan Odom remains on the target list but I agree with you that he shouldn't be the hire. I guess we'll all find out soon what the Deacs decide to do.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't rule out Pat Kelsey yet, but Forbes would kill it at Wake. Miller would be a good hire, Forbes would be a great hire.

When are you going to shave douggie K ?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That list came from Goodman and I don't view Goodman as a reliable source. I highly doubt that Odom is on the list of coaching candidates. Outside of his upset over UVa, he doesn't have much of a resume.

Grant doesn't have the personality to be a good P6 coach. You have to be able to sell a program and that is where he falls short.

Forbes is my #1 choice right now.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not that high on Kelsey. He has zero top 100 teams at Winthrop. Miller and Forbes both have had multipe top 100 teams at their respective schools.

Some people on the Wake boards LOVE Kelsey because personality wise he's as close to Skip Prosser as you're going to get.

I think he's a decent coach, but I think his resume pales in comparison to Forbe's and Miller's.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel sure that Dave Odom is the reason Ryan Odom remains on the target list but I agree with you that he shouldn't be the hire. I guess we'll all find out soon what the Deacs decide to do.

If Ryan Odom wasn't Dave Odom's son, no one in Winston-Salem would give him the time of day.

Being the son of a guy that is hanging in the rafters of LJVM Coliseum is going to get you some play.

With that said, there's a .00000001% chance Ryan Odom is going to be hired by Wake Forest.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that high on Kelsey. He has zero top 100 teams at Winthrop. Miller and Forbes both have had multipe top 100 teams at their respective schools.

Some people on the Wake boards LOVE Kelsey because personality wise he's as close to Skip Prosser as you're going to get.

I think he's a decent coach, but I think his resume pales in comparison to Forbe's and Miller's.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I’m just projecting the atmosphere around hiring a new coach. My take is there are several factors at work here. The interview process during a pandemic being number one. Getting a coach with a proven track record being another.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ryan Odom wasn't Dave Odom's son, no one in Winston-Salem would give him the time of day.

Being the son of a guy that is hanging in the rafters of LJVM Coliseum is going to get you some play.

With that said, there's a .00000001% chance Ryan Odom is going to be hired by Wake Forest.

You should feel fortunate that Ron Wellman is no longer there to fuck it up

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't they just go with Childress?

Randolph Childress was one of the best basketball players to have come thru Wake Forest, EVER! And, he was probably a very loyal Manning assistant, but they need a new direction as the past two coaches have sucked bad!

Even when Jay Wright came to Villanova he had no ties to their school, he played at Bucknell.

When Bill Foster stepped down at Duke and was replaced with Mike Krzyzewski I'm sure there were many who said Hubie Brown or Chuck Daly would have been better choices as they were assistant coaches under Vic Bubas. Sometimes it's just a better move to get someone who has no prior ties to a program.

If Coach K decides to quit I'm sure they will get a great candidate from the coaching tree he has established, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if they want to venture out and hire an established and successful coach with zero ties to Duke.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randolph Childress was one of the best basketball players to have come thru Wake Forest, EVER! And, he was probably a very loyal Manning assistant, but they need a new direction as the past two coaches have sucked bad!

Even when Jay Wright came to Villanova he had no ties to their school, he played at Bucknell.

When Bill Foster stepped down at Duke and was replaced with Mike Krzyzewski I'm sure there were many who said Hubie Brown or Chuck Daly would have been better choices as they were assistant coaches under Vic Bubas. Sometimes it's just a better move to get someone who has no prior ties to a program.

If Coach K decides to quit I'm sure they will get a great candidate from the coaching tree he has established, but it wouldn't shock me in the least if they want to venture out and hire an established and successful coach with zero ties to Duke.

I've already heard rumors that their first call will be Brad Stevens.

UNC too.

Just early succession planning since you never know when these guys will give it up. See Muffet McGraw.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fwiw, there's a rumor going around on the Wake boards that suggests that Childress wasn't exactly the biggest Manning fan

if Childress wants a future in collegiate coaching, he needs to get as far away from his alma mater as possible

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should feel fortunate that Ron Wellman is no longer there to fuck it up

lol, i do. Wellman turned out to be one of the worst AD's in collegiate athletics. Which is weird because in the first 15 years of his tenure at Wake, he had a golden reputation

Giving DM the third largest buyout (behind only K and Bennett, LOL) in college basketball was malpractice

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's been the trend now to see ex players get jobs.

The problem these days is you can't keep a class together.

The success at Villanova is a product of the low attrition rate. We have a former 4 star who played 7 min/game as a junior and he's still didn't transfer.

Honestly, these days, if you get the right guy, he can turn your program around in a hurry. Chris Beard, Tony Bennett.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been the trend now to see ex players get jobs.

The problem these days is you can't keep a class together.

The success at Villanova is a product of the low attrition rate. We have a former 4 star who played 7 min/game as a junior and he's still didn't transfer.

Honestly, these days, if you get the right guy, he can turn your program around in a hurry. Chris Beard, Tony Bennett.

Mich St is very good at this too.

Getting Winston to stay 4 years, Tillman and Henry have a chance to come back this year.

Cleaves coming back for 99-2000

etc.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol, i didn't want to post anything b/c i don't want to get my hopes up

but according to Wake's 247 beat writer

-there is about a 99% chance that the next Wake Forest head coach will be either: Tommy Amaker, Steve Forbes, Pat Kelsey, Wes Miller, Ryan Odom or Thad Matta

-all six of those guys have already interviewed (yesterday + today)

-this is expected to be a fairly quick process. early estimate is that the new HC will be named by next Monday