• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dan Quinn favorite to be the next DC

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Quinn can teach these guys to tackle better and will practice it as much as the new CBA will allow. There can't be a worse open field tackling team in the league. It was like every time a player needed to break a tackle or get an extra couple of yards for a first down, we allowed it.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just really did not understand why Thompson was declared the starter and it took them four games to figure out Wilson was far better. Also rankles me that Gregory was not given more snaps..good riddance to Nolan and Tomsola

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the linebackers sucked overall. Maybe need a change in coaching there as well. The secondary showed promise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counting this year the Falcons defense was ranked:
16, 25, 9, 28, 20, 29 under Quinn

Add to this his horrendous reputation for in-game coaching and I'm not as excited about him as you guys seem to be. His Seattle defenses were great, but are we sure that was because of him :scratch:

The bigger problem in Dallas is the GM. Lack of talent (or at least healthy talent) on the defensive side of the ball impacts those ratings heavily. Jerrah prefers to throw all his money at the glamour positions.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they are just waiting to move Sean Lee to LB coach next year. (he has to officially retire 1st) :hope:
God I hope so. The benefit to this team of that would be huge. He just should never be playing in an NFL game again. He was horrible this year. But as a coach he could still give us all of the intangibles that he brings. Lord knows our two young LBs still have a lot to learn and through watching film with him and him coaching them up in practice and staying in their ears during the game, maybe he can get them to where we all thought they would be after the 2018 season. Plus we have a couple of other young LBs on the roster that he could help as well.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy got his man. Whitt is the new DB coach.

IDK what to think. The secondary play while not great was better than the linebacking play. That could be because teams just ran through the defense. The opportunity could be there to really improve the defense in the draft. Diggs and Wilson are solid building blocks and for once they need to draft a FS that is fast and cover . It would not bother me if we took Surtain or Farley in round 1 and the best FS in round 2. While I get a defense needs that DT it is becoming evident that your defense got to also have play makers and cover guys in secondary. Imagine adding a couple of upgrades to put with Diggs and Wilson? Diggs and Wilson make plays that change the game.

. If Dak and the OL return and the defense was average then this will be a playoff team. The good thing about hiring Quinn is he knows that safeties are important. We got the box safety already.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are just working on becoming the Falcons?
So we hired the passing game coordinator from the actual worst passing defense in the league to be our passing game coordinator? Does this team even understand how coaching searches are supposed to work? I guess McCarthy wants someone to hang out with. You just can't fix stupid.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK what to think. The secondary play while not great was better than the linebacking play. That could be because teams just ran through the defense. The opportunity could be there to really improve the defense in the draft. Diggs and Wilson are solid building blocks and for once they need to draft a FS that is fast and cover . It would not bother me if we took Surtain or Farley in round 1 and the best FS in round 2. While I get a defense needs that DT it is becoming evident that your defense got to also have play makers and cover guys in secondary. Imagine adding a couple of upgrades to put with Diggs and Wilson? Diggs and Wilson make plays that change the game.

. If Dak and the OL return and the defense was average then this will be a playoff team. The good thing about hiring Quinn is he knows that safeties are important. We got the box safety already.
I'm with you about building up the back end. Quinn plays a shit load of single high safety, we're going to need an upgrade big time from what we've seen. I'll see the glass half full at this time

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he fix this?

And... this?

No, he likely can't fix Jaylon's poor instincts and reads.

As the offseason goes on many Cowboy fans will say he not only can but will, just like last year...and the year before. By August the top 10 (some have even said top 5 the last couple of years) defense proclamations may even start up again. This team just needs more talent on defense. Of that, there is no doubt. If you can't stop the run you will suck. We can't stop the run. Maybe with a top notch set of DTs and a 3rd LB in the starting lineup Jaylon and LVE will play better because they just can't fight off blocks and make plays going forward. The good news is that if our OL is healthy and much better and Dak is back we don't likely need a top defense, just one that doesn't suck. I still expect this team to bring back McCoy (not sure what he has left) and I expect us to draft at least 2 (if not 4) defensive players in the first 4 rounds, but first year players are just that. With some luck we will get there, but better players are needed. Can it be next year? That would take a whole heck of a lot of luck but anything is possible in sports. I suspect we will be a lot better than this past year, but that doesn't mean much. We need to unload our over paid players where we can and bring in more talent. But that has been our biggest problem for a decade. We overvalue our own talent and are happy just to resign them and it continues our cycle of mediocrity.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he likely can't fix Jaylon's poor instincts and reads.

As the offseason goes on many Cowboy fans will say he not only can but will, just like last year...and the year before. By August the top 10 (some have even said top 5 the last couple of years) defense proclamations may even start up again. This team just needs more talent on defense. Of that, there is no doubt. If you can't stop the run you will suck. We can't stop the run. Maybe with a top notch set of DTs and a 3rd LB in the starting lineup Jaylon and LVE will play better because they just can't fight off blocks and make plays going forward. The good news is that if our OL is healthy and much better and Dak is back we don't likely need a top defense, just one that doesn't suck. I still expect this team to bring back McCoy (not sure what he has left) and I expect us to draft at least 2 (if not 4) defensive players in the first 4 rounds, but first year players are just that. With some luck we will get there, but better players are needed. Can it be next year? That would take a whole heck of a lot of luck but anything is possible in sports. I suspect we will be a lot better than this past year, but that doesn't mean much. We need to unload our over paid players where we can and bring in more talent. But that has been our biggest problem for a decade. We overvalue our own talent and are happy just to resign them and it continues our cycle of mediocrity.
I love Smith... and I love his story and I really want him to succeed. But watching him week in and week out the last 2+ seasons and watching those clips of his poor technique and instincts, I keep coming back to Jimmy Johnson and his “Kick me in the head if I ever draft another dumb football player” comment. Of course, as long as Jerry continues to coddle the kid, what we think makes little difference.

And I agree - defense should be the direction early in this draft. Hopefully the front office concurs.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he fix this?

And... this?

Good stuff Robin.
My son played college LB and coaches defense in high school and absolutely flips out every Sunday about gap control. He always talks about standing behind a 16 year old and pushing him to his gap at the snap and asks how Jaylon isn't killed weekly in film study about basic 101 LB play.

your post shows just how fucking horrible this guy is week after week. Frankly, I don't think there is a team in the league who would accept this guy on their roster. ONE THING this guy can do and thats rushing the passer at DE on 3rd and long.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Smith... and I love his story and I really want him to succeed.
I think this is the real story....not one person who knows anything about this game say's anything positive after his 2nd year in the league
Of course, as long as Jerry continues to coddle the kid, what we think makes little difference.
AND....this too is the story going forward. A coach could make a 2 hour video showing these plays to Jerry and I fear that ass wipe would demand the coach fix it after giving Smith his money. Dallas's only hope is to cut this guy post June 1 and take the cap hit over two years and nothing about Jerry says this will happen. WE would be a better football team starting Gifford or any 5th round LB than his guy...and I mean ANYONE other than #54. GOD HELP DAN QUINN

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we hired the passing game coordinator from the actual worst passing defense in the league to be our passing game coordinator? Does this team even understand how coaching searches are supposed to work? I guess McCarthy wants someone to hang out with. You just can't fix stupid.

I don't get this hire. Thank God he was not hired as DC
Can he fix this?

And... this?

That is just horrendous. May as well have 10 defenders on the field. Two of those were just terrible.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BEST PART ABOUT ALL THIS?

when asked after the last game if he'll be back next season, Jaylon said, "watch the film"

LMFAO
Jaylon asking somebody else to watch film? It is Jaylon that needs to watch film. Hate to say it but I hope Jaylon has a nagging hamstring pull that keeps him out of games next season. We had 3 linebackers on the bench that would play better than him