• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damn Straight......Phil

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the columnist, but it doesn't mean it won't hurt seeing McCown or Hester playing for another team.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i`m not a registered user,and I won`t register.

Fill me in...........it has to do with Hester tho.

Into which oh well if he doesn`t come back.

It was a great career,but we have a dynamic offense now and he is a little less needed.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here ya go

i`m not a registered user,and I won`t register.

Fill me in...........it has to do with Hester tho.

Into which oh well if he doesn`t come back.

It was a great career,but we have a dynamic offense now and he is a little less needed.

Devin Hester, you were ridiculous.

The key word is were.

In 134 kickoff and punt returns over the past two seasons for the Bears, Hester took it back all the way once. That's not ridiculous. That's replaceable.

Appreciate a career worthy of the Hall of Fame. Debate whether Hester's kickoff return for a touchdown to open Super Bowl XLVI or his fourth-quarter punt return against the Cardinals in 2006 thrilled Chicagoans more. Respect how Hester tilted the field in the Bears' favor by scaring punters into kicking away and the way the "Devin Hester Rule" changed the game by moving kickoffs up to the 35-yard line.

But realize the "Windy City Flyer'' made a scheduled, on-time departure from Chicago. Last season's arrival of an offense capable of scoring 30 points per game allowed Hester to leave for free agency. Hester became a hood ornament on a Rolls Royce, an overpriced luxury item for a team no longer built around defense and special teams. The Bears' winning equation no longer was forced to factor in No. 23, and general manager Phil Emery simply did the math.

When it comes to negotiating contracts, Emery impassively leads with his head, not his heart. Emery correctly believes the most prudent path to a winning roster involves skipping any trips down memory lane.

Ask Brian Urlacher, whose public criticism of the Hester decision on Fox Sports 1 proved he still stung from Emery treating him like just another Bear before their negotiations broke down a year ago. Ask center Roberto Garza, who swallowed his pride and signed a one-year, $1.5 million offer that might have insulted other 13-year veterans but was commensurate with Garza's future potential more than his past production. If Emery stays consistent when NFL free agency begins Tuesday, you likely can ask 33-year-old cornerback Charles Tillman, the best at his position in Bears history.

Tillman missed nearly half the season in 2013 with a triceps injury. When Tillman did play, his balky knee made the Bears hold their breath every time he got up slowly. Tillman's patented ball punch remains a thing to behold but cannot function unless he stays healthy. Like Garza, Tillman would be welcome back on Emery's terms. But another team looking to make a free-agent splash might raise Tillman's price higher than the Bears have budgeted for an aging cornerback with durability concerns — even if he was the NFL Man of the Year. Loyalty? It's a myth in the Not For Long league.

Speaking of popular players perhaps leaving town, Bears fans better brace themselves for Josh McCown's goodbye. On Friday, the Jaguars signed quarterback Chad Henne to a two-year, $8 million deal. If McCown settled for less than Henne, an inferior quarterback, after the season he had then he should fire his agent. Can a Bears team already paying Jay Cutler $22.5 million afford to overpay for Cutler's backup given the limited salary-cap space that exists? Doubt it.

If the Bears didn't have so many holes to fill via free agency on a defense currently with only three projected starters for 2014 — linebacker Lance Briggs, cornerback Tim Jennings and defensive tackle Stephen Paea — re-signing McCown at any cost would be more conceivable. But barring McCown leaving millions of dollars on the table for the comforts of Halas Hall, conventional wisdom says to expect the NFL's friendliest quarterback to make new friends in his eighth NFL city. Expect the Jets, Buccaneers, Raiders to offer McCown more money and a chance to start that doesn't exist with the Bears.

Remember this if panic ensues in Lake Forest: If Marc Trestman's system maximized McCown's ability as much as people say, it can do the same for the next veteran backup.

Losing McCown would create more consternation locally than cutting defensive end Julius Peppers, whose decline makes his $14 million salary impossible to justify. Younger and cheaper options for pass-rushers exist in free agency in Michael Johnson of the Bengals and Michael Bennett of the Seahawks, Martellus' brother who ESPN's Bill Polian called the top target on the market.

Adding Johnson or Bennett at defensive end and re-signing Henry Melton at defensive tackle should be priorities No. 1 and 1-A next week for Emery. Safeties Jairus Byrd and T.J. Ward merit a long look too, but the Bears need to rebuild from the inside out to return to the postseason.

The last time the Bears made the playoffs, in 2010, Hester and Tillman and Peppers played major roles. And if the Bears were coming off an NFC North title, then those popular players who have meant so much to the franchise for so long would be worth keeping. But the Bears finished 8-8 last season — nothing to celebrate.

To get overly sentimental about roster changes to improve a mediocre team would be, well, ridiculous.

[email protected]

Twitter @DavidHaugh

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, my only problem is, where do you find a replacement for Peppers if you cut him? Now instead of looking for a DE, you're forced to look for 2 DE's. With the Vikings signing Everson Griffen 5 years $42.5-million, what is Wooton going to command forget Bennett or Johnson.

I like Emery's past moves, he's much better at this GM stuff than Jerry Angelo, so I can't wait to see how this all pans out.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, my only problem is, where do you find a replacement for Peppers if you cut him? Now instead of looking for a DE, you're forced to look for 2 DE's. With the Vikings signing Everson Griffen 5 years $42.5-million, what is Wooton going to command forget Bennett or Johnson.

I like Emery's past moves, he's much better at this GM stuff than Jerry Angelo, so I can't wait to see how this all pans out.

I think you are right. I just don't see how the Bears are going to compete with other teams for coveted FA.

It sucks because both GB and Minnesota have plenty of $$ in cap space, and I am sure each team will land some great pick ups this offseason.

I just hope Emery can make some magic happen...

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm going to take a wild guess. The news that the Bears were talking to Bennett has nothing to do with the Bears signing Bennett. It has to do with pressuring Peppers to take a cut or Wootton to sign at a cheaper price.

Just guessing...

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kinda

I'm going to take a wild guess. The news that the Bears were talking to Bennett has nothing to do with the Bears signing Bennett. It has to do with pressuring Peppers to take a cut or Wootton to sign at a cheaper price.

Just guessing...

I'm just guessing but Peppers wants his money due him.......no matter who you are talking with

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just guessing...

Yeah, I was just thinking this.

Brad Biggs said "Two team officials informed him" that the Bears are going to sign Bennett. Now, why did the Bears front office make an obvious and concerted effort to show their hand to the public? Probably due to what you said. They want to put the heat on Pep or Wooton. Turn the tables on them.

They're pretty much using the press to sway things in their direction.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just guessing but Peppers wants his money due him.......no matter who you are talking with

so you are saying he will accept or prefers being cut, which ends up getting him all his dead money? If they restructure they are gonna be pushing those dollars back even more.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was just thinking this.

Brad Biggs said "Two team officials informed him" that the Bears are going to sign Bennett. Now, why did the Bears front office make an obvious and concerted effort to show their hand to the public? Probably due to what you said. They want to put the heat on Pep or Wooton. Turn the tables on them.

They're pretty much using the press to sway things in their direction.

Why? What would be your issue with putting Peppers on the Left and Bennett on the right? Peppers would be a nightmare to RG's in the league. Even if you think Peppers is slowing down a bit, RG's don't have the physical abilities that LG's due. Peppers now > Wooton last year or the year before or the year before that.

Draft a Donald and we are good to go on the line, if you want pick up a brick NG in the 5-6th rounds, then focus on Safety and CB, maybe ILB the rest of the way in the draft.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Why? What would be your issue with putting Peppers on the Left and Bennett on the right? Peppers would be a nightmare to RG's in the league. Even if you think Peppers is slowing down a bit, RG's don't have the physical abilities that LG's due. Peppers now > Wooton last year or the year before or the year before that.

Draft a Donald and we are good to go on the line, if you want pick up a brick NG in the 5-6th rounds, then focus on Safety and CB, maybe ILB the rest of the way in the draft.

If you keep Peppers and Bennett, could you identify the players you want to cut from the existing roster to get back beneath the cap?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you keep Peppers and Bennett, could you identify the players you want to cut from the existing roster to get back beneath the cap?

I would play over the cap. Probably why I'm not considered the next great NFL GM. Curse you for interjecting logic into my pipe dreams.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I would play over the cap. Probably why I'm not considered the next great NFL GM. Curse you for interjecting logic into my pipe dreams.

oh, I'm sure Jerry Jones will be happy to hire you!

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know how anyone took that Bennet signing seriously, wouldnt it be tampering when seattle is supposed to have exclusive rights til midnight?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know how anyone took that Bennet signing seriously, wouldnt it be tampering when seattle is supposed to have exclusive rights til midnight?

There is a 3 day window where a team can make offers, just not sign a player prior to the deadline.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just guessing...

I don't know about that. Sounds like they had a serious offer in place for Bennett.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you misread my post.

All I said was they'd like Pep to take a pay-cut. I never said they would have had anything against keeping both.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The report came from multiple Bears officials. You'd be dumb not to take it seriously. Teams were allowed to start talks with players on Friday.

C

cubzzzfanincali

so out at the bar tonight, these were the theories I heard (3 49er fans, 1 Dolphins fan, me the Bears fan, a Packer fan, and a Bengals fan)

- deal was attempt to fake out the fan base of Chicago (1)
- Chicago was not involved any more than the two "secret" teams were (1)
- the Bennetts hate each other outside of public (1)
- Martellus was hyping his brother up because he loves him and wanted to drive up the price if his brother's contract (2)
- agent didn't understand Bears cap room, Bennett didn't either, and Emery used them in attempt to drive bargain with Bears contract subjects (1)
- the Bears really wanted Bennett so badly they would have cut players to keep him on roster (1)

There you have it. Scientific polling, everyone.