• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Cowboy Signings

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how you can say this. Dak didn't tag himself and certainly has the right to get better than wentz, golf & Cousins. He's the next man up and thats how QB contracts are going. Also....Dak isn't doing anything that he shouldn't be doing. He's listening to his representation. He bet on himself and won.
I think you are misinterpreting what I am actually saying.

I am just talking about the contract. I am assigning blame to neither side at this point. Actually both....

His tag is an albatross around their neck. Yes the Boys did the tag. They also offered what we (damn near everyone anyway) thought should get deal done and he has turned it down. The Boys at that point had to tag him.

That tag situation has caused a domino effect. All I am saying.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so funny that fans want Dak to take a discount after outperforming his contract big time the last 4 years. Romo didn't take a discount...why should Dak?
I never said that. You took it there, not me.

And the decision on when enough is enough is his, which is what I said. Not that the Boys were trying to cheat him out of making his bank.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so funny that fans want Dak to take a discount after outperforming his contract big time the last 4 years. Romo didn't take a discount...why should Dak?
I don't see too many asking for Dak to take a discount at all. I think most are starting to see him as being on a little bit of a money grab. Players like Dak don't listen to agents. Agents listen to players like Dak. The agent would want Dak to sign a 10 year deal because he may not be in line for the commission next time around.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak is killing us in the cap until he decides enough is enough.
I keep reading people say this. Yes It will go down, but I don't think the cap hit goes down an incredible amount below $26M this year if Dak signs a 4 year deal or we will crush the outer year's caps.

Let's say he signs a 4 year deal at $35M per. That's $140M to hit the cap over 4 years. If his year 1 cap hit goes down to let's say $20M (I'm not saying $6M in extra cap space is nothing, but it isn't game changing) that still leaves $120M to be allocated against the cap in the next 3 years or $40M per. $40M is quite a big cap hit for 3 straight years and if you tier it starting at $30M in 2021 it becomes something like $40M in 2022 and $50M in 2023.

So any savings against the cap this year from Dak signing likely just needs to be rolled into future years to cover those cap hits.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see too many asking for Dak to take a discount at all. I think most are starting to see him as being on a little bit of a money grab. Players like Dak don't listen to agents. Agents listen to players like Dak. The agent would want Dak to sign a 10 year deal because he may not be in line for the commission next time around.
Dak has played this right in as much as he is gonna break the bank, but I think taking the 5 years $175 million that is on the table would be in his best interest. Totally hypothetical situation, but if Dak hasn't signed that offer before the draft, and the Cowboys are sitting there at 17 and Jordan Love is on the board, I would take him in an instant and be ready to move on. Now after playing this year on his tag(I don't care how long he holds out, Dak isn't leaving $30 million on the table), the Cowboys could tag Dak a second time if they feel Love isn't ready, but I think after a year holding a clipboard, Love would be a fantastic option. And while Dak will get paid somewhere else, he won't be making anywhere near the $50 million per he is making off the field playing QB for anyone but the Cowboys, and he may have to pay that pesky state income tax somewhere else too

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak won't and shouldn't take a discount.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak has played this right in as much as he is gonna break the bank, but I think taking the 5 years $175 million that is on the table would be in his best interest. Totally hypothetical situation, but if Dak hasn't signed that offer before the draft, and the Cowboys are sitting there at 17 and Jordan Love is on the board, I would take him in an instant and be ready to move on. Now after playing this year on his tag(I don't care how long he holds out, Dak isn't leaving $30 million on the table), the Cowboys could tag Dak a second time if they feel Love isn't ready, but I think after a year holding a clipboard, Love would be a fantastic option. And while Dak will get paid somewhere else, he won't be making anywhere near the $50 million per he is making off the field playing QB for anyone but the Cowboys, and he may have to pay that pesky state income tax somewhere else too
If there is a QB that this team loves (no pun intended) and thinks is a future franchise QB sitting there when we are on the clock I wouldn't be against drafting him to protect the future but IMO it has to be because we love the player. You have to protect yourself when you have a QB reluctant to sign long term in case they hold out or leave via FA, but if we are going to give up that huge part of our future (pick #17) the player has to be of that caliber in their scouts eyes.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading people say this. Yes It will go down, but I don't think the cap hit goes down an incredible amount below $26M this year if Dak signs a 4 year deal or we will crush the outer year's caps.

Let's say he signs a 4 year deal at $35M per. That's $140M to hit the cap over 4 years. If his year 1 cap hit goes down to let's say $20M (I'm not saying $6M in extra cap space is nothing, but it isn't game changing) that still leaves $120M to be allocated against the cap in the next 3 years or $40M per. $40M is quite a big cap hit for 3 straight years and if you tier it starting at $30M in 2021 it becomes something like $40M in 2022 and $50M in 2023.

So any savings against the cap this year from Dak signing likely just needs to be rolled into future years to cover those cap hits.

The thoughts rolling around in my head was about 8 mill.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thoughts rolling around in my head was about 8 mill.
It's amazing how Dak's salary changes daily on Spotrac. It's now listed as $28.7M - still $31.5M on overthecap

So if we use your $8M decrease for this year and the new Spotrac number of $28.7M for his current cap hit and a 4 year $35M per deal it's exactly what I outlined above. To get a $20.7M cap hit this year it leaves $120M over 3 years. So either $40M per for the next 3 years or a tiered hit along the lines of $30M 2020, $40M 2021 and $50M 2022. Anyway you slice it, taking a savings this year puts a lot of pressure on future year cap hits. Hopefully the 17 game season and the extra couple of a % going to the players in the next CBA helps, but I thought I remembered viewership numbers decreasing lately which could offset that. You need a QB so not much we can do other than cut elsewhere when needed

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His tag is an albatross around their neck. Yes the Boys did the tag. They also offered what we (damn near everyone anyway) thought should get deal done and he has turned it down. The Boys at that point had to tag him.

That tag situation has caused a domino effect. All I am saying.
I'm not sure anyone on this board knows exactly what's going on. I know the team leaks stuff to get fans on their side...I also know it's been reported several times this past week that the money isn't the issue, it's the term. Have you noticed many deals lately have been shorter terms? That's because there is a new TV contract coming in the next couple of years. Agents are advising their client to take a shorter term if they are in their mid to late 20's cause the cap is going to go up considerably over the next few seasons. Dak has done nothing but bet on himself thus far. Why would he sign for 35M per over 6 years? Why wouldn't he prefer to bet on himself continuing to get better and want a shot at another contract in 3 to 4 years. I think anyone would if the believe in themselves as much as Dak seems to believe in himself

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you know more than what's being reported around here. The term is the issue is what is being said, it's not a money grab, it's the right to be in line for another contract still in his prime if he plays as well as he thinks he will over the next 3 to 4 years. It's a risk Dak is willing to take....betting on himself as usual

I also think you're totally wrong if you don't this Dak is listening to his agent. You nor I can confirm this, it's just your opinion Vs my opinion here

It's also crazy to think an agent would get other players to sign on if they were pushing for a 10 year terms based on their commission when everyone knows a new TV deal is on the horizon. You're reaching big time with this 10 year term stuff. Who does that? That isn't good for anyone. player nor team

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is true, as it's been true with just about every multi year contract signed in football. Most insiders report the cap will continue to climb at a greater rate due to the new TV contract. I think it's smart to save 8M this year IF the team see's another player out there they think helps win now.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you know more than what's being reported around here. The term is the issue is what is being said, it's not a money grab, it's the right to be in line for another contract still in his prime if he plays as well as he thinks he will over the next 3 to 4 years. It's a risk Dak is willing to take....betting on himself as usual

I also think you're totally wrong if you don't this Dak is listening to his agent. You nor I can confirm this, it's just your opinion Vs my opinion here

It's also crazy to think an agent would get other players to sign on if they were pushing for a 10 year terms based on their commission when everyone knows a new TV deal is on the horizon. You're reaching big time with this 10 year term stuff. Who does that? That isn't good for anyone. player nor team
So you read what I wrote and your take was that I was saying that the agent was pushing a 10 year contract and not making a point about a longer contract vs shorter contract and what the agent would generally push for, for many reasons?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you read what I wrote and your take was that I was saying that the agent was pushing a 10 year contract and not making a point about a longer contract vs shorter contract and what the agent would generally push for, for many reasons?
guess I did if your example here is why agents listen to players

It's funny and an extreme if nothing else but fine, players listen to agents and agents listen to players :suds:

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team wants a 5 year deal to try and lessen cap hits down the road. This would enable the cowboys to.try and surround Dak with talent to make the playoffs. Dak wants 4 so he can sign one more big contract after this one. IDK who to blame here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team wants a 5 year deal to try and lessen cap hits down the road. This would enable the cowboys to.try and surround Dak with talent to make the playoffs. Dak wants 4 so he can sign one more big contract after this one. IDK who to blame here.
That seems to be a big part of it but I suspect there is more to it. For example does Dak want the same amount of guaranteed money in a 4 year deal (or maybe it's 3?) as the Cowboys are offering in a 5 year deal? Common sense would say no, but I suspect he probably is because if he gets hurt or regresses he's never seeing that next deal that he seems to be all hot and heavy over.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I initially thought the way this can come together is for Jerry to get the 5th year, he waives the right to use the tag at that time.
Otherwise, it becomes almost a certainty Dak gets tagged after the 4 year contract and at that point gamble on what your payday would be thru the tag. Maybe Jerry gets sick of this game and Dak ends up playing under the tag on the front end and back end of that 4 year contract.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm beginning to feel that Dak wants to be somewhere else