• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Turned Down 30M AAV, Wants 40M AAV

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 213822

Wow IDK if I'd call that team friendly exactly. That would make him the second highest paid RB in the league and cutting inline to get his at the cost of losing a player or two that needs to get signed.

I agree with the bold and think the Cowboys should simply call his bluff with no new contract this season, but would consider discussing it next season provided he doesn't hold out this year.
You have a point. Elliott is 24 and barring injury, will be the highest paid RB in one or two years. Might be better to get him locked up for another 5 years as second highest paid back.

It will be interesting to see who Dallas decides not to sign in the nest two years. Guess that is the pitfall for drafting so well

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point. Elliott is 24 and barring injury, will be the highest paid RB in one or two years. Might be better to get him locked up for another 5 years as second highest paid back.

It will be interesting to see who Dallas decides not to sign in the nest two years. Guess that is the pitfall for drafting so well
Locking Zeke up to a contract isn't exactly a guarantee he won't hold out again when others blow his contract out of water. Only good course he to stand your ground, otherwise expect it to happen again. Just my :2cents:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locking Zeke up to a contract isn't exactly a guarantee he won't hold out again when others blow his contract out of water. Only good course he to stand your ground, otherwise expect it to happen again. Just my :2cents:

Better to pay for greatness than to stand your ground for pride. It's why the Eagles should have paid TO what he wanted after his incredible Super Bowl performance.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there aren't many backs going to blow his contract outta the water once he's signed, and I'm not sure he's the kinda guy who makes a habit outta holding out just because another back gets paid more down the road.

Thing is...Dallas like all other teams have their budget and shouldn't be expected to set the market for all their good players, just like your Seahawks didn't. You make hard decisions. Let some good ones go, retain some good ones and hope like hell you draft well enough to keep the team competitive. :suds:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better to pay for greatness than to stand your ground for pride. It's why the Eagles should have paid TO what he wanted after his incredible Super Bowl performance.
Not for pride, do it for practical purposes like signing players that played well and have expiring contracts. Also to discourage others to follow suit.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for pride, do it for practical purposes like signing players that played well and have expiring contracts. Also to discourage others to follow suit.

No one else on that team is Elliott. Best player in the team and at a position where he needs to get what he can before he is driven into the ground by an organization of riding their prized RB into the ground at the end of a contract then not paying them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one else on that team is Elliott. Best player in the team and at a position where he needs to get what he can before he is driven into the ground by an organization of riding their prized RB into the ground at the end of a contract then not paying them.
Yeah and if they resign him to say a five year contract with a big guarantee then his play drops way off like Gurleys did in the post season ( and likely going forward ) you still think it's smart? It's business. QBs get way over paid, mediocre players get paid more then some players who play way better in a lot of cases. Occasionally a team gets the good end of the stick. Seem bad business to not take advantage of those few opportunities. I'm sure you'd love to see the Cowboys in cap hell though.:rolleyes2:

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and if they resign him to say a five year contract with a big guarantee then his play drops way off like Gurleys did in the post season ( and likely going forward ) you still think it's smart? It's business. QBs get way over paid, mediocre players get paid more then some players who play way better in a lot of cases. Occasionally a team gets the good end of the stick. Seem bad business to not take advantage of those few opportunities. I'm sure you'd love to see the Cowboys in cap hell though.:rolleyes2:

Gurley has arthritis in his knees. Injuries and bodies breaking down are part of th sport. If the kitchen is too hot for you to play GM then get out of the kitchen. It's a risk Elliott suffers a major injury or occurs some condition that hurts his play but I'd rather bet on the talent that my teams success is built around than irritate him to the point of him potentially forcing his way off the team.

And Cowboys are in cap hell no matter how long they want to drag this out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gurley has arthritis in his knees. Injuries and bodies breaking down are part of th sport. If the kitchen is too hot for you to play GM then get out of the kitchen. It's a risk Elliott suffers a major injury or occurs some condition that hurts his play but I'd rather bet on the talent that my teams success is built around than irritate him to the point of him potentially forcing his way off the team.

And Cowboys are in cap hell no matter how long they want to drag this out.
Get out of the kitchen then because it's too hot for you.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bull Shit
now you're just talking outta your ass

After reading your shit...it would be better if you just read the threads and kept the cheerleader shit to a minimum

Dak is looking for between $35M-$40M a year, Elliott is) rightfully) looking to be laid as the top back in the league and Cooper is also going to force the Cowboys in a big deal. Then they have a completely loaded with young talent defense and talented offensive line that all will need pay days in the coming years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak is looking for between $35M-$40M a year, Elliott is) rightfully) looking to be laid as the top back in the league and Cooper is also going to force the Cowboys in a big deal. Then they have a completely loaded with young talent defense and talented offensive line that all will need pay days in the coming years.
Exactly why you make Zeke play out his contract.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't predict the future but there is virtually no chance Dak that holds out this year. That's like me saying I think Goff will hold out.
Goff is due more money and the Rams could claw back his 4th year signing bonus. Goff could lose out on $8.89M. Goff should at least be considering a hold-out. The Rams haven't fought players in public PR battles and have generally been player friendly in dealing with player contracts. So far Goff, (wisely), hasn't played out a drama in public. That might change if a deal hasn't been reached by Week 7...but I expect it will be done before then.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 213822

Wow IDK if I'd call that team friendly exactly. That would make him the second highest paid RB in the league and cutting inline to get his at the cost of losing a player or two that needs to get signed.

I agree with the bold and think the Cowboys should simply call his bluff with no new contract this season, but would consider discussing it next season provided he doesn't hold out this year.
It's a pretty silly and misleading way of looking at Gurley's contract. Anyone using it as a benchmark will end up with GIGO data.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pretty silly and misleading way of looking at Gurley's contract. Anyone using it as a benchmark will end up with GIGO data.
I'm aware of the roster guarantees, which is actual like no guarantee really. Be interesting to see how that plays out. However I doubt going forward players are going to accept fake guarantees and my point is from the team point of view it's risky to resign a RB to a huge second contract, much less do it before you must, especially if the player threatens to not honor his first contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff is due more money and the Rams could claw back his 4th year signing bonus. Goff could lose out on $8.89M. Goff should at least be considering a hold-out. The Rams haven't fought players in public PR battles and have generally been player friendly in dealing with player contracts. So far Goff, (wisely), hasn't played out a drama in public. That might change if a deal hasn't been reached by Week 7...but I expect it will be done before then.
No he can't lose out on $8.9M. I think you are counting the current year apportionment of the signing bonus he received when he signed. His salary is only $4.3M. Dak's is $2M. It's double of course and he has already made a lot more money, but $2M more for this season when we are talking $150M contracts isn't that much of a difference. I'm betting neither considers holding out this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 213822

A "Bell type" deal would definitely be team friendly IMO. The way these always seem to work lately is when a comparable or even slightly lesser player comes due they become the highest paid. So if a RB of Zeke's caliber comes due in a subsequent year he will exceed the previous high contract by a decent amount and it continues each year. So if Zeke were a true FA this year he likely goes $1M per year more than Gurley. So to sign for $1M per year less is a $2M swing - about 13% less.

Also, as we know, the annual amount isn't really the most important thing and that is what fans get hung up on and makes a great headline and I guess why this thread is on page 14. It's the guaranteed money that matters. Gurley's was tricky. At signing it was in the same range as Bell but another almost $20M became guaranteed already in March of this year and brought his now guaranteed up to $45M. While in theory you can say the $45M wasn't guaranteed until a year later and thus shouldn't count it was never practical for that to not be guaranteed, because if they cut him they would lose the player and have $17M in dead money ($8M more than keeping him) this year which was never going to happen.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware of the roster guarantees, which is actual like no guarantee really. Be interesting to see how that plays out. However I doubt going forward players are going to accept fake guarantees and my point is from the team point of view it's risky to resign a RB to a huge second contract, much less do it before you must, especially if the player threatens to not honor his first contract.
I'm not sure I am following. Once a roster bonus is guaranteed, it's guaranteed just like a salary. It may not be guaranteed day one and if not it shouldn't be counted that way. Sometimes like with Gurley they count it because there is little practical chance for it to not get guaranteed eventually. But it often can guarantee the year before which I guess protects the player a little. I always thought the roster bonus is more attractive to the player because he gets it up front that year instead of spread out over 17 weeks like his salary and thought that was why they like to have it, but it's basically the same as salary if both are guaranteed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I am following. Once a roster bonus is guaranteed, it's guaranteed just like a salary. It may not be guaranteed day one and if not it shouldn't be counted that way. Sometimes like with Gurley they count it because there is little practical chance for it to not get guaranteed eventually. But it often can guarantee the year before which I guess protects the player a little. I always thought the roster bonus is more attractive to the player because he gets it up front that year instead of spread out over 17 weeks like his salary and thought that was why they like to have it, but it's basically the same as salary if both are guaranteed.
Thru 2020 it would be to big of a hit to cut Gurley, after that it can be done with cap savings.