• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D. Ferguson retiring

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, but what choice do the Jets have right now? They were definitely blindsided by this so they tried to fill it fast and as best they could...You never know, maybe he'll be solid, though its a VERY risky move.

That's exactly it, you never know....I'm still more puzzled over D'Brick choosing to retire over approximately 2mil of an 11 mil deal....Gotta be some underlying reasons there for that kind of action IMO....:scratch:

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly it, you never know....I'm still more puzzled over D'Brick choosing to retire over approximately 2mil of an 11 mil deal....Gotta be some underlying reasons there for that kind of action IMO....:scratch:

Was that what it was? 2 mil? I never heard the amount, I thought it was quite a bit more for him to call it quits like that...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that what it was? 2 mil? I never heard the amount, I thought it was quite a bit more for him to call it quits like that...

Not 100% sure of the exact amount but it was in the neighborhood from what I had read and heard reported...
I thought they usually give the player the difference in the form of a bonus and just rework their contract of the normal....
The Ravens just did it with a few players to create cap space....Flacco just got a 40 mil bonus check and a new contract with a much smaller cap hit.....That's why I don't get DF's retiring over a few mil he would have gotten anyway more than likely...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 100% sure of the exact amount but it was in the neighborhood from what I had read and heard reported...
I thought they usually give the player the difference in the form of a bonus and just rework their contract of the normal....
The Ravens just did it with a few players to create cap space....Flacco just got a 40 mil bonus check and a new contract with a much smaller cap hit.....That's why I don't get DF's retiring over a few mil he would have gotten anyway more than likely...

I agree, I also thought they usually "re-work" it so the guy gets the money but in a different way. But all I kept hearing here in NY was paycut which is probably what it was, otherwise there's no reason to retire. The guy has only missed one snap in his entire career...

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I also thought they usually "re-work" it so the guy gets the money but in a different way. But all I kept hearing here in NY was paycut which is probably what it was, otherwise there's no reason to retire. The guy has only missed one snap in his entire career...

I know, it's crazy...You're right, it was a pay cut, but How do you let a solid guy like that walk when you are trying to build some consistency on a team that has struggled much in that area ?
They run off their most consistent player, go figure....But it is NY and it's go big or go home up there !!!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, it's crazy...You're right, it was a pay cut, but How do you let a solid guy like that walk when you are trying to build some consistency on a team that has struggled much in that area ?
They run off their most consistent player, go figure....But it is NY and it's go big or go home up there !!!

I don't think they EVER thought he'd walk over this. He's always been a team first guy. Obviously something pushed him over the edge where he just said no more. Was it the money? or something else? its an interesting question for sure...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAJOR Kudos Sir!!! Clady was just traded to the Jets. You deserve mucho praise for this call!!!

The trade is Clady and a 7th to the Jets for their 5th rounder...

Thanks. The reason I thought a trade would get done falls into 2 major reasons. 1) The LT position is still a highly sought after position for anything remotely resembling quality. It is why many of the LT's that hit the open market this year had some of the most visits because teams know how difficult it is to even find an average LT. When you look at the 1st round mock drafts you see how much Tackles sky rocket even for just above average players.
2) Not only is it about being a premium position but a supply and demand issue at this point. Only 1 Tackle taken in the 1st round of the draft since the 2011 draft has actually been a quality player from the get go. All others have been bottom of the heap starters for at least the first 2 years in the league.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Clady's 9.5 mil salary....It could be a stroke of genius for the Broncos or a huge mistake....
If Clady stays healthy, pros say he's an upgrade over D'Brick and at a cheaper price...
I forget the guy they signed to take Clady's place, but if he gets injured, they are back at square one....
Good call for cd though, I thought they would have to release him...

As far as D'Brick though, I wonder why he chose to retire instead of holding out for his money ?
I think he was due like 11mil and they wanted to cut it to like 9mil, he retired with nothing over 2 mil ???
Or is it that he wanted to cut the Jets by sitting 1 yr and coming back on his own terms and money...
Big risk, seems like to me...Thoughts !!!

I don't think it is a huge mistake. Clady hasn't been trusted to stay healthy and his cap hit was way out of line with what he did produce when he was on the field. His injuries have taken a huge toll on his body. Also the Broncos are not back to square one if Okung gets hurt. They have 2 people already on the roster who have started at LT just last year in the league with Sambrailo and Stephenson. Not saying either are huge quality guys but they do have some experience. Clady though was no in the Bronco's future plans as his age/injury history were a concern when they are trying to get younger and rebuild the offense.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is a huge mistake. Clady hasn't been trusted to stay healthy and his cap hit was way out of line with what he did produce when he was on the field. His injuries have taken a huge toll on his body. Also the Broncos are not back to square one if Okung gets hurt. They have 2 people already on the roster who have started at LT just last year in the league with Sambrailo and Stephenson. Not saying either are huge quality guys but they do have some experience. Clady though was no in the Bronco's future plans as his age/injury history were a concern when they are trying to get younger and rebuild the offense.

I believe I said it could be a stroke of genius or mistake, we won't know until this season is in the books....
And by square 1 , pretty clear means not having a high level player at that position, a sub doesn't meet the criteria....

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I said it could be a stroke of genius or mistake, we won't know until this season is in the books....
And by square 1 , pretty clear means not having a high level player at that position, a sub doesn't meet the criteria....

What I mean is there is no way the Broncos were keeping Clady on the team. They made that clear when they signed Okung as there is no way they are paying all that money for 2 guys who play the exact same position. Now yes one could have moved over to RT but then again they signed a guy day 1 of FA to take that position. So the Broncos had already moved on so the fact that they got something out of it is just icing on the cake. Now you can say it was a mistake say Okung gets injured and well we should have just kept Clady say he does finally stay healthy but the Broncos are operating with the idea of better to cut an expensive player a year early than a year or two too late.

I guess to me even if Clady stays healthy, and I hope he does, I don't think this trade will have been a mistake. They needed some cap relief and he was the easiest player to make that happen. He has missed both years we have made the Super Bowl so they have shown they can win without him on the team.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is there is no way the Broncos were keeping Clady on the team. They made that clear when they signed Okung as there is no way they are paying all that money for 2 guys who play the exact same position. Now yes one could have moved over to RT but then again they signed a guy day 1 of FA to take that position. So the Broncos had already moved on so the fact that they got something out of it is just icing on the cake. Now you can say it was a mistake say Okung gets injured and well we should have just kept Clady say he does finally stay healthy but the Broncos are operating with the idea of better to cut an expensive player a year early than a year or two too late.

I guess to me even if Clady stays healthy, and I hope he does, I don't think this trade will have been a mistake. They needed some cap relief and he was the easiest player to make that happen. He has missed both years we have made the Super Bowl so they have shown they can win without him on the team.

I'm not faulting them for the deal, I thought they would have to release him and everyone knew he was on his way out.....They did good to get something for him, but everything hinges on how well Okung works out there and Clady in NY is all....You gotta make moves to better your team....
I hated when we traded Ngata and let Reed leave but Ozzie knew more than us fans know, what a surprise...:scratch:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not faulting them for the deal, I thought they would have to release him and everyone knew he was on his way out.....They did good to get something for him, but everything hinges on how well Okung works out there and Clady in NY is all....You gotta make moves to better your team....
I hated when we traded Ngata and let Reed leave but Ozzie knew more than us fans know, what a surprise...:scratch:

Haha yeah especially when it comes to injuries and just how quickly a player is wearing down are things we do not always see. I remember when Moreno didn't get signed by the Broncos after his great season in 2013 and then signed with Miami for dirt cheap some fans were pretty upset then I don't think he actually took a single snap that entire season and hasn't played since. It later was reported the Broncos knew his knee wouldn't hold up for any extended time.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my guess is one of these teams possibly trades a late round pick to the Broncos for Clady. He is a proven player just one you have to worry some about injury issues. My guess is this is why the Broncos haven't cut him yet waiting to see what team as we get closer to the draft gets desperate knowing the OL guys will go earlier than some think.
:thumb:Nailed it:thumb:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called the Jets. Well that and having to spend time in New Jersey. I can see it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No this was a great deal for Denver. Both you and OS are right. NYJ could've tried to wait out Denver to see if they would release Clady. But that would be a risk. Plus other teams may jump into a bidding war? NYJ does well in getting a quality LT. Good deal if he he's stays healthy (we know big if). Beside like cd sais no way Denver could keep Clady as an inusrance policy at his salary. Denver likely to feel the pain if Okung goes down. The significance of Okung going down may well be determined by how much practice/pre season games the two rookies from last year get?