• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D. Ferguson retiring

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I went to the Jest board. As usual no one has posted there in a month. Hammer you need to send a cleaning lady in there to dust.

OK back to DF retiring. First good for him. But, now that leaves the NFL with another void at LT a postion hard to fill.

Having said that how does that change draft strategies for NYJ and those teams around them? NYJ pick 20. Do they try and jump up to get Decker(Ohio State) Conklin(Mich State) or even Stanley (ND)?
Looks like Seattle and Carolina may target OL in the first round? Do they jump up? I know Seattle likes to usually go BPA but they need OL help.
Thoughts?

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here in NY, it had been reported over the past few days that the Jets were looking for him to take a paycut in order to re-sign Fitzpatrick...He must've just said screw it, not worth it, I'd rather hang 'em up...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here in NY, it had been reported over the past few days that the Jets were looking for him to take a paycut in order to re-sign Fitzpatrick...He must've just said screw it, not worth it, I'd rather hang 'em up...
Fitz can get paid now. But good luck without Ferggie protecting his blind side.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my guess is one of these teams possibly trades a late round pick to the Broncos for Clady. He is a proven player just one you have to worry some about injury issues. My guess is this is why the Broncos haven't cut him yet waiting to see what team as we get closer to the draft gets desperate knowing the OL guys will go earlier than some think.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my guess is one of these teams possibly trades a late round pick to the Broncos for Clady. He is a proven player just one you have to worry some about injury issues. My guess is this is why the Broncos haven't cut him yet waiting to see what team as we get closer to the draft gets desperate knowing the OL guys will go earlier than some think.
Smart move. Tackles, especially qualty LT are becoming more and more scarce. Combine that with better and better pash rushers makes finding a good LT paramount.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move. Tackles, especially qualty LT are becoming more and more scarce. Combine that with better and better pash rushers makes finding a good LT paramount.

It is true. Throw in very few rookies since the new CBA have come out of the gate doing well like we have seen in the past. The lack of practices and especially the lack of contact has really hurt the ability to get these guys prepared for playing in the NFL. No more are we seeing the guys taken in the top-10 for the OL coming in right away and dominating like we have seen in the past.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something based around Sheldon Richardson for Clady? Broncos get their DL reinforcements after the FA loss, Jets get their LT?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something based around Sheldon Richardson for Clady?

Well that is an interesting decision. I mean I doubt the Jets re-sign him after this next season after his legal issues and just depth at the position. It would be a huge get for the Broncos in replacing one of the guys they lost at a very nice price for a one year rental and throw in for the Broncos they could throw in a draft pick knowing good chance he brings them a comp pick in 2018 if he has a good year as somebody would sign him to a mega deal. Clady at his current cap hit is still less than Ferguson but my guess is they would still want him to lower his price by just a bit as the dead money for Ferguson almost breaks things even that way.

So yeah I could actually see this being a possibility. Both teams benefit from this deal.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also came out and spoke a lot about concussions and CTE when the "Concussion" movie was released, so it wasn't more about them wanting him to take a pay-cut than it was his concern about down the road.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt the Broncos get anything for Clady. They obviously have to cut him at some point at which point a team would be able to get him for half the money and no draft picks.

I mean just look at how little both Beecham and Okung got and there are probably less questions about those two as there is about Clady. A 1 year prove it deal at $5M is Clady's value right now. Why trade for him where you would be stuck overpaying him by double his value? Not to mention at this point in the offseason there probably aren't too many teams that can fit $10M into their budgets.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My exact thoughts when I heard this

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Broncos get anything for Clady. They obviously have to cut him at some point at which point a team would be able to get him for half the money and no draft picks.

I mean just look at how little both Beecham and Okung got and there are probably less questions about those two as there is about Clady. A 1 year prove it deal at $5M is Clady's value right now. Why trade for him where you would be stuck overpaying him by double his value? Not to mention at this point in the offseason there probably aren't too many teams that can fit $10M into their budgets.

You are forgetting some valuable parts to this discussion though. 1) Teams are willing to trade possibly late round picks or say a player that they are not seeing eye to eye with for the sole right to get that player. With so many teams needing a LT as we saw with Beechum and Okung meeting with multiple teams before making their decision there is a huge need on the market still for the position. So instead of having to fight when the player is released it is worth giving up the late round pick.

2) Just as the Broncos are doing right now in trying to trade for Kaepernick a team can have a deal set in place to lower the cap hit of the player coming in. Clady has already said this off season that he is willing to take a pay cut to play. The problem with the Broncos is they wanted him to cut down to say $3-4 million with a very incentive driven contract that could get him back up to say $8-9 million for the year. He is wanting something closer to $6 million guaranteed for the year. So say the Jets wanted him and talked him into going down to $6 million it gives them cap space space to re-sign Fitzpatrick plus solve the LT spot and all they maybe give up is a late round pick or a player like Richardson that they are not really all that happy with anyway.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One of the wierdest first names in football history. There's a reason the OP said "D. Furguson."

Nice knowin' ya D'Brick. Hope you're not broke in 3 years.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAJOR Kudos Sir!!! Clady was just traded to the Jets. You deserve mucho praise for this call!!!

The trade is Clady and a 7th to the Jets for their 5th rounder...

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAJOR Kudos Sir!!! Clady was just traded to the Jets. You deserve mucho praise for this call!!!

The trade is Clady and a 7th to the Jets for their 5th rounder...

And Clady's 9.5 mil salary....It could be a stroke of genius for the Broncos or a huge mistake....
If Clady stays healthy, pros say he's an upgrade over D'Brick and at a cheaper price...
I forget the guy they signed to take Clady's place, but if he gets injured, they are back at square one....
Good call for cd though, I thought they would have to release him...

As far as D'Brick though, I wonder why he chose to retire instead of holding out for his money ?
I think he was due like 11mil and they wanted to cut it to like 9mil, he retired with nothing over 2 mil ???
Or is it that he wanted to cut the Jets by sitting 1 yr and coming back on his own terms and money...
Big risk, seems like to me...Thoughts !!!

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clady stays healthy, pros say he's an upgrade over D'Brick and at a cheaper price...

IF he stays healthy. Ferguson missed one play in his whole career. On a trick play. Clady's played 18 games in the last 3 seasons. It's hard to be an upgrade if you're never on the field.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF he stays healthy. Ferguson missed one play in his whole career. On a trick play. Clady's played 18 games in the last 3 seasons. It's hard to be an upgrade if you're never on the field.

Ferguson was THE cornerstone of that O-line...Like you said, IF he stays healthy, but not sure how anyone could expect him to do so at this point when he hasn't in so long...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ferguson was THE cornerstone of that O-line...Like you said, IF he stays healthy, but not sure how you could expect him to do so at this point when he hasn't in so long...

Well, he did play all 16 in 2014, but only 2 in 2013 and missed all this season. I don't know if he's done being a regular starter, but his health is a big question mark.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he did play all 16 in 2014, but only 2 in 2013 and missed all this season. I don't know if he's done being a regular starter, but his health is a big question mark.

For sure, but what choice do the Jets have right now? They were definitely blindsided by this so they tried to fill it fast and as best they could...You never know, maybe he'll be solid, though its a VERY risky move.