• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuts down to 53-man Roster

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Surprised Reggie Smith was cut.

I'd feel more comfortable still with him as our #3 safety over any #3 safety on our roster. I'd bring him back and cut McBath.

Surprised Todman cannot stick anywhere as a #3 RB. Chargers should have kept him as a change of pace back.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hold on... did they cut Reggie Smith because we traded them Colin Jones?

Wouldn't that be ironic now if we went out and grabbed Reggie Smith off the waiver wire?

Then it would be thanks to the Panthers for the upgrade at backup safety and a 7th rounder. :-)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Former 49ers QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson made the Vikings squad.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd bring back reggie smith. good back up coverage safety which we don't have.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OJ Atogwe was cut by the eagles. He's had knee problems but might be worth a look

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Reggie Smith was cut.

I'd feel more comfortable still with him as our #3 safety over any #3 safety on our roster. I'd bring him back and cut McBath.

My sentiments exactly I really liked Smith and if we get him back it could potentially soften the blow of losing Goldson next off season.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments exactly I really liked Smith and if we get him back it could potentially soften the blow of losing Goldson next off season.

If Goldson performs this year, I think he gets his long-term with us. I have a hard time believing he is a place-holder.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Goldson performs this year, I think he gets his long-term with us. I have a hard time believing he is a place-holder.

I don't believe we sign him at 8mil/year and if he will take 7mil/year or something close to that he would have signed this past off season.

The only way I see him coming back is if he has an sub-par year and is willing to take less money because another probowl year he will want 8 mil or more per year and I would rather sign Soap RJF and Bowman then resign Goldson at that #price

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the coaching staff seems to like safeties that can play inside the box. so basically we need two strong safeties that aren't liabilities in coverage.

reggie smith is pure passing down material in our system.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I don't think that's a good strategy. Signing Goldson long term means no Culliver, Aldon, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Hunter, Bowman, Jsmith, Sopoaga, etc. later down the road. I don't want to give ANOTHER huge contract to a guy who's already peaked. Especially not a safety.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reggie smith is pure passing down material in our system.

And that is how we would use him he would be the nickle safety. And if Goldson left next off season we know at least we have a solid box safety (Whitner) and a solid coverage safety (Smith).

Also Robinson and Thomas are the size of corners I highly doubt that they will be box safetys in the NFL

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's a good strategy. Signing Goldson long term means no Culliver, Aldon, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Hunter, Bowman, Jsmith, Sopoaga, etc. later down the road. I don't want to give ANOTHER huge contract to a guy who's already peaked. Especially not a safety.

+101

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is how we would use him he would be the nickle safety. And if Goldson left next off season we know at least we have a solid box safety (Whitner) and a solid coverage safety (Smith).

Also Robinson and Thomas are the size of corners I highly doubt that they will be box safetys in the NFL

but smith wouldn't replace goldson, he'd still be basically only playing in nickle packages. he doesn't fit our system as an everydown safety...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL!!! I think you left a couple coaches off your list.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be said about safetys 3-5 at least Smith has something going for him everyone else isn't proven to be effective as a safety

which is my point. we'd have to replace goldson with someone who isn't on the roster. we have a bunch of back ups and smith wont replace goldson if he leaves next year.

i'm really hoping we can draft mcdonald with the 32nd pick depending on how the draft goes.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is my point. we'd have to replace goldson with someone who isn't on the roster. we have a bunch of back ups and smith wont replace goldson if he leaves next year.

i'm really hoping we can draft mcdonald with the 32nd pick depending on how the draft goes.

ok I see now that we are talking about two different time frames. I am more focused on this year which Smith would help more and you are focused on the future.

IMO Smith would become our 3rd Safety this year and shore up our pass defense he is not a starter for us and if Goldson left we would have to find a starter caliber safety but Smith would be serviceable if we didn't

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Raiders claimed Phillip Adams after he was released from Seattle.

Seahawks released Kellen Winslow.

Patriots released Bobby Carpenter.

Former 49ers C Cody Wallace, who was recently cut by the Texans, was claimed by the Bucs.