• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cutler Sign Seven Year Contract

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rivers is a good QB but I think Romo is just as good if not better. If I was building a team and you said I had to choose between Rivers and Romo I would pick Romo. I think if Romo played they would have beat the Eagles. He has like the 4th highest passer rating in NFL history and the highest 4th quarter passer ratings. Romo is very underrated and people just think of the few games he blows in the 4th qrt and not all the comebacks he has. Plus dallas O-Line still isnt great and their D was injured all year and sucked.

I wanna see Romo come up big in a big game before I give him any credit. And I disagree about his line. I think it's above average & improving. And he's had some of the best receivers in the game during his time in Dallas. His line & receivers have been MUCH better than Rivers or Cutler have had IMO.

Until Romo wins some big game(s) it's all garbage stats IMO. I'll take the Eli Mannings & the Ben Roethlisbergers of the world who come up huge in the postseason (another reason why I've defended Joe Flacco) over a guy with great receivers, great stats & never does anything in the postseason. JMHO.

Romo had a chance to prove me wrong this season, but fortune didn't smile on him with the timing & severity of his career-threatening injury.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna see Romo come up big in a big game before I give him any credit. And I disagree about his line. I think it's above average & improving. And he's had some of the best receivers in the game during his time in Dallas. His line & receivers have been MUCH better than Rivers or Cutler have had IMO.

Until Romo wins some big game(s) it's all garbage stats IMO. I'll take the Eli Mannings & the Ben Roethlisbergers of the world who come up huge in the postseason (another reason why I've defended Joe Flacco) over a guy with great receivers, great stats & never does anything in the postseason. JMHO.

Romo had a chance to prove me wrong this season, but fortune didn't smile on him with the timing & severity of his career-threatening injury.

Well Rivers stats would have to be all garbage stats as well cuz he hasnt won anything and I doubt he ever will. Of course you have to place QBs like Eli, Big Ben and Flacco in front of Romo cuz they are SB winners. But after all the SB winners Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben & Flacco I think Romo is in that 2nd tier of QBs who is one of the best QBs in the NFL without a SB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well Rivers stats would have to be all garbage stats as well cuz he hasnt won anything and I doubt he ever will.

He got to an NFC Championship game against an undefeated Pats team & would've won had he not been screwed by the ref's.

Romo has been Matt Ryan in the playoffs; almost a guaranteed loser (although Romo is a better QB than Matt Ryan IMO).

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is Jeff George 2.0

He has a good arm, but zero brain and zero durability.

Crappy contract that will hurt the Bears in the long run.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand the Jeff George comparisons. They are not even remotely similar QBs. George was a fucking statue back there!? Cutler is waaaay more athletic.

Big arms are the only similarity.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler's not even in the top half of QBs in the league. In my estimation he's had *one* good year - his last in Denver which allowed them to unload him for a fortune in picks. Everything else has been average, which with Cutler means alternating from very good and very bad. He parlays a good arm into big contracts and public adulation, but good arms are so overvalued compared to the rest of the QB skill set.

The problem is that the big plays aren't as valuable as the bad plays are damaging. Limiting turnovers, especially ones in bad spots, is a crucial part of winning football. Guys like Cutler and Stafford define themselves on being able to make every throw, which sometimes seems to override their good judgment. Said it before, say it again, I'll take Alex Smith over Cutler. Less spectacular, but better results.

To be fair, up until these last two years Cutler's surrounding talent in Chicago - especially the OL - has been terrible.

That said, on the surface this looks like a pretty bad contract, IMO. But I'm sure there's more to it than people realize, and they can probably cut him a lot sooner than those 7 years.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
54mil guaranteed. Almost the entirety of the guaranteed portion is gonna be paid up in the first three years. They'll easily be able to unload him if need be after that.

The 7 years really means nothing.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's Josh freeking McCown. 6 games isn't going to tell you anything. People who think he's even one of the top 35 QBs in the league smack of people who were calling Troy Smith the next 49ers' franchise QB. I still remember people vehemently saying I was being an idiot for ignoring Troy's greatness.

I'll give him credit for being a decent backup QB. But those are a dime a dozen.

I'll give him a little more credit. There is something to a guy that starts his career off looking like somebody that cant hack it then comes back a few years later and after getting some experience, looking like a capable starting qb.

I think we some times give up on people too soon and just dont give guys an opportunity to mature. Cant say I blame them but fans and the league alike could benefit from just having a little more patience. I dont mean that a team shouldnt move away from a young McCown when he is struggling. I just mean maybe we shouldnt just give up and say that he will never become anything because he has struggled early in his career. Not saying, shame on the Cardinals for not sticking with McCown just sayin the dude has grown over the years as a player into somebody that can get the job done for a franchise with some nice pieces around him.
As Niners fans we should understand this a little better than most, after what we saw from Alex a couple years ago.

Also Troy Smith looked good for about a game and a half. I never bought in, I could see how others might have, but Troy Smith never looked as good or polished as McCown has in relief of Cutler. To me they are not comparable.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, guys, Cutler had "Pancake City" Chilo Rachal blocking for him most of last year. The fact Cutler ever threw a TD during that time says a lot about his ability. Cutler is a douche, but he's a skilled douche.

Speaking of douches, Cutler and Rivers should start a feminine hygiene company.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is coming from Chicago's former GM that traded for Cutler in 2009. So I guess that could mean it's more objective? Posting it here because people were calling Kaepernick a one read quarterback who latches onto one receiver. This is what the GM said about Cutler: Cutler “has all the tools” but is “inconsistent in the clutch.” Angelo also criticized Cutler for “a lack of poise” saying “he’s not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target that may or may not be the right choice. The less he’s asked to see, the better he is.”

He has ranked every quarterback in the league, sometimes even backups like Orton and McCown.

Chicago Tribune

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is coming from Chicago's former GM that traded for Cutler in 2009. So I guess that could mean it's more objective? Posting it here because people were calling Kaepernick a one read quarterback who latches onto one receiver. This is what the GM said about Cutler: Cutler “has all the tools” but is “inconsistent in the clutch.” Angelo also criticized Cutler for “a lack of poise” saying “he’s not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks onto a favorite or pre-determined target that may or may not be the right choice. The less he’s asked to see, the better he is.”

He has ranked every quarterback in the league, sometimes even backups like Orton and McCown.

Chicago Tribune

It's obvious to see that he locks onto Brandon Marshall. Josh McCown spread the ball around a bit and was able to get Alshon Jeffery involved. I'm not saying McCown is better than Cutler, of course.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting to note how it seems like the most overpaid QBs in the league are guys with big arms.......Cutler, Flacco, Stafford. None of the actual top QBs are considered cannon arms with the possible exception of Rodgers. I know fans have a tendency to overrate the deep threat, but do the GMs too?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to note how it seems like the most overpaid QBs in the league are guys with big arms.......Cutler, Flacco, Stafford. None of the actual top QBs are considered cannon arms with the possible exception of Rodgers. I know fans have a tendency to overrate the deep threat, but do the GMs too?

You're trying to find the whole package. When one has the physicals, some gamble on the mental, visual, intelligence, etc. intangibles. Mental/visual/intelligence are hard to find in anyone - it's not as if being physically average makes you smarter/tougher/have more intangibles. I would say though that some physically skilled players lived off their arm as they've always been so much better due to skills than college, high school peers. It's like how running QBs may have gotten lazy in the pocket because they've always been able to run themselves out of trouble - sometimes this works in the NFL until age factors in. But those with average physical abilities might have worked on the rest to overcome.

Someone I know loved Mugsy Bogues, not only because of him not quitting because of his height or competitive drive (dunking), but also how he compensated for his height. Now, if you get a very hard worker who is physically strong, the hope is that you've gotten best of both worlds.

Some GMs may gamble because you can get these physical players at a lower draft pick if the perception is that they won't get the mental, vision, etc. Then, of course, you hope you are right about them and it pays off.