• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deadline passed 13 minutes ago. Nothing yet on MLB Trade Rumors or sfgiants.com. I'm hoping that is just because decisions were last minute and haven't been reported yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deadline passed 13 minutes ago. Nothing yet on MLB Trade Rumors or sfgiants.com. I'm hoping that is just because decisions were last minute and haven't been reported yet.
They HAVE to make 1 cut, so that has to be the case.

If Luciano isn’t protected (I don’t expect this to be the case, btw), he has to be the first pick in the Rule V draft, right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisely is R5 eligible while Peter’s isn’t eligible until the ‘24/‘25 season.

Maybe they didn’t like what they saw from Peters. And ultimately this is just a minor leaguer for minor leaguer trade, so who really cares, but…

Peters is a pretty well regarded prospect, and is younger than Wisely.

I really dislike this FO.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here we go

As usual, some surprise moves. Not sure why Winn suddenly needs to be protected. I could think of a few guys that should have been protected over him. Oh well.

Why is Jarlin Garcia off the roster but Yunior Marte is not? Why Jason Vosler at all!?!?! This FO is goofy.

Oh, and why has the FO put Delaplane on the 40 two years in a row, just so he can get paid major league money while injured, only to get rid of him both offseasons afterward?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over who is gone and who is still around, we have the these puzzling 40 man decisions:
Dropped - Vosler, Garcia
Kept - LaStella, Walton, Wynns, Marte

Really weird moves by this FO but I'm not sure I can say I'm surprised. Just annoyed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking over who is gone and who is still around, we have the these puzzling 40 man decisions:
Dropped - Vosler, Garcia
Kept - LaStella, Walton, Wynns, Marte

Really weird moves by this FO but I'm not sure I can say I'm surprised. Just annoyed.
They don’t want fans to be…. Well…. Fans, I guess. That is the only thing I can think of to explain it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants made two minor league moves: Tristan Peters to the Rays for Brett Wisely and Steele Walker to the Tigers for sweet, sweet cash.

Wisely to the 40 man along with Beck, Cruz, Winn, Luciano and Matos.

Six players DFA'd: Delaplane, Strotman, Haarleen, Nunez, Viloria, Vosler and Welker.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarlín García posted a 2.84 ERA in 3 seasons with the Giants. He was generally reliable and gave the Giants a multi-inning reliever. I think he was exposed a little near the end as the primary LH reliever out of the pen, but he had a really good stint in SF.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarlín García posted a 2.84 ERA in 3 seasons with the Giants. He was generally reliable and gave the Giants a multi-inning reliever. I think he was exposed a little near the end as the primary LH reliever out of the pen, but he had a really good stint in SF.
Which is why I don't get the move to let him go. There were probably 5 players on the 40 man roster that deserved it more than him. But the Marlins did the same with him and that was a benefit to the Giants. Maybe the Giants just really wanted another team to have the same experience with him. (sarcasm noted here).

And I mentioned the puzzling decision to protect Winn over other prospects. Beck is even more puzzling. I really doubt he would have been drafted. They didn't protect him last year and he was worse in 2022.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants made two minor league moves: Tristan Peters to the Rays for Brett Wisely and Steele Walker to the Tigers for sweet, sweet cash.

Wisely to the 40 man along with Beck, Cruz, Winn, Luciano and Matos.

Six players DFA'd: Delaplane, Strotman, Haarleen, Nunez, Viloria, Vosler and Welker.
Seriously?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, of the guys who were dfa'd, the following can become minor league free agents if unclaimed:
Jarlin Garcia
Dom Nunez
Meibrys Viloria
Jason Vosler
Colton Welker (another guy whose time with the org was solely composed of a 60 day IL stint)

Since Sam Delaplane has been dfa'd two years in a row, I believe he was the right to refuse assignment and also become a free agent. That means only Drew Strotman is the only player the Giants could keep (outside of re-signing guys to minor league deals).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants avoided Arb with Scott Alexander by inking him to a 1.2M contract.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 10 days, the Giants have outrighted or DFA'd 14 players off of their 40-man roster. That's a lot.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The non-tender deadline is 5 PM PST tonight. The Giants have 10 remaining arbitration-eligible players after re-signing Scott Alexander to a new deal. They have committed to tendering all of the potential fringe candidates, meaning that there shouldn’t be any surprises.

Marlins 3B/OF Brian Anderson will be a popular target if he is non-tendered.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The non-tender deadline is 5 PM PST tonight. The Giants have 10 remaining arbitration-eligible players after re-signing Scott Alexander to a new deal. They have committed to tendering all of the potential fringe candidates, meaning that there shouldn’t be any surprises.

Marlins 3B/OF Brian Anderson will be a popular target if he is non-tendered.
They also have to decide if they will tender all pre-arb guys as well. Its not unusual for teams to jettison a player or two from this group. Sometimes, teams will even non tender guys that they just added to the 40 man roster (which is one of the oddest things I've seen an FO do. And this FO is odd).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have to decide if they will tender all pre-arb guys as well. Its not unusual for teams to jettison a player or two from this group. Sometimes, teams will even non tender guys that they just added to the 40 man roster (which is one of the oddest things I've seen an FO do. And this FO is odd).
And sometimes they will jettison older players are due to make 11m.

But sometimes that actually makes sense, so it is unlikely this FO will do that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And sometimes they will jettison older players are due to make 11m.

But sometimes that actually makes sense, so it is unlikely this FO will do that.
La Stella can be released at any time. The non-tender deadline is irrelevant to him since he already has a contract.

But we cannot expect that kind of decision to be made. I expect him to be on the Opening Day roster (or at least the 40 man roster, come Opening Day) but wouldn't be surprised if he is gone by June if he continues to be injured and/or non-productive.