• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am missing some move. Llovera makes 41 on the 40…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants put Belt and Leone on COVID IL, optioned Junis. Jason Krizan, RHP Mauricio Llovera and outfielder Ka'ai Tom have been called up. Darian Nunez, who was added earlier this week, has been released.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants put Belt and Leone on COVID IL, optioned Junis. Jason Krizan, RHP Mauricio Llovera and outfielder Ka'ai Tom have been called up. Darian Nunez, who was added earlier this week, has been released.
I just heard this on KNBR

Was Nunez “released” or DFAd? Tom said “released”, but I don’t trust that

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official Giants tweet…

Looks like a straight up release. That’s weird.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard this on KNBR

Was Nunez “released” or DFAd? Tom said “released”, but I don’t trust that
According to MLB Trade Rumors, injured players cannot be dfa'd (thus the reason the last injured Nunez was placed on the 60 day, not because he was Rule 5). Apparently, the Giants decided not to carry another TJ'd pitcher for a year. Makes me wonder, why did they claim him to begin with? Its not like they can sneak him through waivers. He'll be a free agent if no one else claims him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Pederson out for at least a couple of days, the Giants are essentially without 11 of the players who would be considered part of the 26 man roster if all were healthy (12 if you count Boyd).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to MLB Trade Rumors, injured players cannot be dfa'd (thus the reason the last injured Nunez was placed on the 60 day, not because he was Rule 5). Apparently, the Giants decided not to carry another TJ'd pitcher for a year. Makes me wonder, why did they claim him to begin with? Its not like they can sneak him through waivers. He'll be a free agent if no one else claims him.

How were the dogs able to DFA him?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't the "outbreak" at 5 with Duggar (Yastrzemski, Littell, Leone and Belt)?
I posted this before I heard about Belt.

Also, Renell tested positive, and apparently some coaches and front office personnel as well.

• Useful
Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How were the dogs able to DFA him?
:noidea:
Apparently, he can be dfa'd but not put on outright waivers, only release waivers (the former allowing a team to stash him away in the minor leagues, the latter letting him go completely from the org). This is what they had written about him when the Dodgers made their move:
"The Dodgers have instead decided to designate him for assignment. Injured players cannot be placed on outright waivers, meaning Nunez will have to be placed on release waivers. A team could theoretically claim him if they were willing to give him the service time and MLB pay that the Dodgers opted against."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:
Apparently, he can be dfa'd but not put on outright waivers, only release waivers (the former allowing a team to stash him away in the minor leagues, the latter letting him go completely from the org). This is what they had written about him when the Dodgers made their move:
"The Dodgers have instead decided to designate him for assignment. Injured players cannot be placed on outright waivers, meaning Nunez will have to be placed on release waivers. A team could theoretically claim him if they were willing to give him the service time and MLB pay that the Dodgers opted against."

Thank you for doing my homework for me. LOL

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for doing my homework for me. LOL

:yo:
I guess the Giants changed their mind about paying him. Strange given they were going to have to make a decision on him quickly anyone. Would love to have heard the conversation about that whole process.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yo:
I guess the Giants changed their mind about paying him. Strange given they were going to have to make a decision on him quickly anyone. Would love to have heard the conversation about that whole process.
Totally in my head. I have not heard word one…

I imagine they actually met the kid, and determined his head was not worth the investment. He has the arm. he has the measurables that caught their eye for this reason or that. But in some conversation they had with him after they claimed him told them that he is not worth paying 600k to get him over this hump.

Maybe he is worth whatever a minor league salary is, so I won’t be shocked to see them sign him to a minor league deal in the coming days. But I think that is actually unlikely. He has no ties to this org. Why would he sign with a team he has no ties to who essentially just fired him?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The moves have been a bit convoluted, but there is who I think are the 5 guys the Giants can take off the 40 man roster without passing them through waivers:
Jason Krizan (Dominic Leone's replacement)
Ka'ai Tom (Brandon Belt's replacement)
Mauricio Llovera (Darien Nunez's replacement, who was Zack Littell's replacement on the 40)
Kevin Padlo (Mike Yastrzemski's replacement? Close enough?)

Here is what I don't know. Is the 40 man replacement guy supposed to come up in direction correlation to the guy who was placed on the COVID IL? The Giants made a bunch of moves and not in direct replacements. For example, Luke Williams was called up to the active roster when Yastrzemski was placed on the COVID IL and filled the 40 man spot with Padlo the next day. Does Padlo count as a guy who does not have to go through outright waivers? It wasn't a this for that kind of transaction.
Another example. When Littell went down, Kervin Castro was recalled and Nunez was claimed the next day to fill that cleared 40 man roster spot.
Krizan and Tom are clear cut replacements. But Llovera also came up because Nunez was essentially released.

There may be other teams who do this maneuvering but most of the time, is just a this for that kind of move. Put player X on the COVID IL and add player Y on the 40 man roster. Will be interesting who gets exposed to waivers and who doesn't, in the coming days.
Oh and to throw another wrench into everything, rosters have to be down to 26 players in 2 days. Wonder how FZ will leverage that in all this mess.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are missing:
- Brandon Belt
- Mike Yastrzemski
- LaMonte Wade Jr.
- Tommy La Stella
- Joc Pederson
- Dominic Leone
- Steven Duggar
- Zack Littell
- Alex Cobb
- Evan Longoria
- Anthony DeSclafani

They are missing almost half of a 26 man roster.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants acquired infielder Mike Ford from the Mariners for cash considerations. He will join the active roster today. Ka'ai Tom returns to Sacramento.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The moves have been a bit convoluted, but there is who I think are the 5 guys the Giants can take off the 40 man roster without passing them through waivers:
Jason Krizan (Dominic Leone's replacement)
Ka'ai Tom (Brandon Belt's replacement)
Mauricio Llovera (Darien Nunez's replacement, who was Zack Littell's replacement on the 40)
Kevin Padlo (Mike Yastrzemski's replacement? Close enough?)

Here is what I don't know. Is the 40 man replacement guy supposed to come up in direction correlation to the guy who was placed on the COVID IL? The Giants made a bunch of moves and not in direct replacements. For example, Luke Williams was called up to the active roster when Yastrzemski was placed on the COVID IL and filled the 40 man spot with Padlo the next day. Does Padlo count as a guy who does not have to go through outright waivers? It wasn't a this for that kind of transaction.
Another example. When Littell went down, Kervin Castro was recalled and Nunez was claimed the next day to fill that cleared 40 man roster spot.
Krizan and Tom are clear cut replacements. But Llovera also came up because Nunez was essentially released.

There may be other teams who do this maneuvering but most of the time, is just a this for that kind of move. Put player X on the COVID IL and add player Y on the 40 man roster. Will be interesting who gets exposed to waivers and who doesn't, in the coming days.
Oh and to throw another wrench into everything, rosters have to be down to 26 players in 2 days. Wonder how FZ will leverage that in all this mess.
Padlo would need to be DFA’d. He was claimed via DFA. He is legit on the 40 man.

I think the other 3 are Covid replacements.

Edit: You may be right about Llovera, though. I think he was a regular 40 add.