• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting in a number of ways. That they would bring up both Gott and Selman, neither of which looked good in camp. Interesting in that Gott can be added to the 40 man because two players are on the COVID IL. Interesting that the Giants feel the need to replace a starter and a reliever with two relievers, leaving the bench even shorter for a manager who burns through the bench on a seemingly nightly basis. Interesting that two guys who got a shot have to be out so many days.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting in a number of ways. That they would bring up both Gott and Selman, neither of which looked good in camp. Interesting in that Gott can be added to the 40 man because two players are on the COVID IL. Interesting that the Giants feel the need to replace a starter and a reliever with two relievers, leaving the bench even shorter for a manager who burns through the bench on a seemingly nightly basis. Interesting that two guys who got a shot have to be out so many days.
Covid IL players are essentially removed from the 40-man? I was not aware of that.

I suspect the Giants are gaming the system with Webb and McGee. Webb wasn’t going to be used until his start anyway, so might as well say he had a rumbly tumbly and open up a spot. McGee had been used a lot in the first couple weeks, so he probably just needed a breather.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have also agreed to allow any Clubs that experience a COVID-19 outbreak among their players to add to the Major League Active List temporarily, without the need for those players to be placed on waivers, outrighted, or optioned in order to be removed from the 40-man roster when players return from the COVID-19 Related Injured List.

I think this means that Gott and Selman are on the 26-man roster, but NOT on the 40-man roster...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this means that Gott and Selman are on the 26-man roster, but NOT on the 40-man roster...
Gott and Selman are both listed on the 40 man roster currently. It seems that COVID IL placements are treated like 60 day IL placements, but there is no minimum stay requirements.
I think the fact that Selman was removed from the 40 man roster on the website was an oops by the IT team. If you look at their transactions page, there are two "P Sam Selman roster status changed by San Francisco Giants." listings for March 25th, followed by a "San Francisco Giants optioned P Sam Selman to Sacramento River Cats." the same day.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gott and Selman are both listed on the 40 man roster currently. It seems that COVID IL placements are treated like 60 day IL placements, but there is no minimum stay requirements.
I think the fact that Selman was removed from the 40 man roster on the website was an oops by the IT team. If you look at their transactions page, there are two "P Sam Selman roster status changed by San Francisco Giants." listings for March 25th, followed by a "San Francisco Giants optioned P Sam Selman to Sacramento River Cats." the same day.
The portion I quoted from the mlb rules page makes it seem like a team can add from the alt site and return the players later without having to put the player through waivers.

I think that means Gott and Selman are not on the 40.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The portion I quoted from the mlb rules page makes it seem like a team can add from the alt site and return the players later without having to put the player through waivers.

I think that means Gott and Selman are not on the 40.
It is true that they can be removed without going through waivers but I believe that they are still officially placed on the 40 man roster. But, you are correct, that does differ from the way room is made for guys coming off the 60 day IL.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm very confused at how this COVID IL and adding players not on the 40 man roster works. I can only assume that a player still has to be dfa'd due to removal from the 40 man roster but does not have to be put through waivers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solano to the 10-day
Santos gets the call for the first time

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solano to the 10-day
Santos gets the call for the first time
Good for Santos! But that leaves only 4 players on the bench, but I guess when you have Bonds, Kent, Aurilia, Burks . . . wait, what? Sorry, wrong decade. I thought for a moment that have that small of a bench meant you had a lineup full of heavy hitters.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern at this point is the bullpen. I kinda trust Kap to sort out the position players and go with matchups. I do not trust a bullpen that, as good as it has been overall, has three cockpunch late blown saves that became losses. That's a half season's worth in the first few weeks. Imagine our record if two of those were converted instead of blown?

Signed,

Diaperman

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main concern at this point is the bullpen. I kinda trust Kap to sort out the position players and go with matchups. I do not trust a bullpen that, as good as it has been overall, has three cockpunch late blown saves that became losses. That's a half season's worth in the first few weeks. Imagine our record if two of those were converted instead of blown?

Signed,

Diaperman
"cockpunch".

You had me at "cockpunch".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vosler up, Jarlin to the IL.

Let the Vosler Era begin...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grant Brisbee a few days ago...he called it:

New York Yankees: Mike Tauchman​

Why the Yankees would give him up

The Yankees have plenty of beefy big-boy sluggers, but they need more help everywhere else than you might expect. Tauchman is a nice left-handed complement for a very right-handed lineup, but he also didn’t hit a single home run last year in 111 plate appearances. He’s already 30, so the Yankees might think that his strong 2019 season was a fluke and try to get value for him.

Why the Giants would want him

He’s a left-handed outfielder who plays all three outfield positions, and he has power potential. It’s not complicated.

Why it’s not going to happen

If the Giants had a starting-pitching surplus, there might be a fit. If the Yankees had more lefty bats on the bench, maybe they’d be willing to trade Tauchman. As is, neither of those are true, so it’s more unlikely than a lot of these ideas.