• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting. The Giants traded Billy Hamilton to the Mets for Jordan Humphreys. Humphreys looked good in low A ball in 2017 but has pitched in only 6 professional games since then. A bit surprised that they dealt Hamilton. I guess FZ is more content with Duggar than I thought or maybe he just really needed to do something else on the transaction side of things.
We also have Yaz (star??), Dick (solid when healthy), Slater and DigDug (solid 4ths at worst), so maybe he figured Hamilton was redundant and could be flipped?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have Yaz (star??), Dick (solid when healthy), Slater and DigDug (solid 4ths at worst), so maybe he figured Hamilton was redundant and could be flipped?
How is this different than at the end of the 2019 season? I get that FZ moves fast and often but nothing, from my perspective at least, has changed since the acquisition of Billy Hamilton and the strong chance he was going to make the team before his "injury".

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this different than at the end of the 2019 season? I get that FZ moves fast and often but nothing, from my perspective at least, has changed since the acquisition of Billy Hamilton and the strong chance he was going to make the team before his "injury".
Sure.

But teams take flyers on players all the time. Dick is an injury risk, so he needed to be covered. Dubon was still u tested in the outfield. I do not recall if Pence was in the org yet when Hamilton was signed. Not certain on the timing of Ruf, either, but he was also a flyer.

We aren’t disagreeing. And it doesn’t look like we got a king’s ransom for Hamilton in the trade. And maybe Hamilton requested the trade(?).

Basically, I am not filing this under the “fz being fz” category just yet. This can just as easily be filed under the “normal MLB roster maintenance” header.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

But teams take flyers on players all the time. Dick is an injury risk, so he needed to be covered. Dubon was still u tested in the outfield. I do not recall if Pence was in the org yet when Hamilton was signed. Not certain on the timing of Ruf, either, but he was also a flyer.

We aren’t disagreeing. And it doesn’t look like we got a king’s ransom for Hamilton in the trade. And maybe Hamilton requested the trade(?).

Basically, I am not filing this under the “fz being fz” category just yet. This can just as easily be filed under the “normal MLB roster maintenance” header.
I'm thinking more along the lines of what was happening in March before the shutdown. Hamilton was practically a lock to make the team and, from what I read during summer training, that wasn't changing until he went on the IL (which still puzzles me considering he wasn't on any official roster, other than the 60 player pool) less than a week before the start of the season. I guess it is very weird to me that he went from being the center fielder on this team to being traded for a minor league pitcher in less than 2 weeks, all without playing an MLB game. Not trying to complain, more trying to figure out the sudden change of heart. Roster maintenance wasn't needed and, in fact, it thins out the outfield depth, with Jose Siri already removed from the player pool.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking more along the lines of what was happening in March before the shutdown. Hamilton was practically a lock to make the team and, from what I read during summer training, that wasn't changing until he went on the IL (which still puzzles me considering he wasn't on any official roster, other than the 60 player pool) less than a week before the start of the season. I guess it is very weird to me that he went from being the center fielder on this team to being traded for a minor league pitcher in less than 2 weeks, all without playing an MLB game. Not trying to complain, more trying to figure out the sudden change of heart. Roster maintenance wasn't needed and, in fact, it thins out the outfield depth, with Jose Siri already removed from the player pool.
Given the current outfield situation in NY, maybe Humphreys IS a king’s ransom?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the current outfield situation in NY, maybe Humphreys IS a king’s ransom?
I did see that MLB pipeline ranks Humphreys as the 23rd highest prospect for the Giants. Maybe he's got some filthy stuff. The Mets had dfa'd him about a week ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated the rosters. But by my count we now have 41 on the 40 and 62 on the 60.

Maybe Smyly was put on the 45?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see that MLB pipeline ranks Humphreys as the 23rd highest prospect for the Giants. Maybe he's got some filthy stuff. The Mets had dfa'd him about a week ago.
He was apparently the Mutts’ #14 prospect...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And per Roster Resources, Humphreys was placed on the 60-man (not 40-man)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm really confused now on how dfa'd players are handled for the 60 player pool. There was an announcement before the season that guys taken off the 60 player pool (including dfa's) could not be added back. So I don't know why Brantly (whom you still have listed in limbo) and Siri could be assigned back to that pool.

Wong wasn't on the 60 player pool before, so he could be eligible for it now. However, not sure I've heard that he was officially added to that pool.

For Humphreys, I don't understand why burn a spot in the pool for a guy like him. Would he really be used in an MLB game, having never thrown above A ball and spending the past two years rehabbing from two major surgeries? If the Marlins, and maybe the Cardinals, have taught us, is that you don't plug your 60 payer pool full of guys who won't play in MLB games this year. Put a couple guys in but stack it with guys that you feel are at least ready to play in emergency situations yet are expendable.

Also, you haven't updated Coonrod to the IL and Selman on the active roster yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really confused now on how dfa'd players are handled for the 60 player pool. There was an announcement before the season that guys taken off the 60 player pool (including dfa's) could not be added back. So I don't know why Brantly (whom you still have listed in limbo) and Siri could be assigned back to that pool.

Wong wasn't on the 60 player pool before, so he could be eligible for it now. However, not sure I've heard that he was officially added to that pool.

For Humphreys, I don't understand why burn a spot in the pool for a guy like him. Would he really be used in an MLB game, having never thrown above A ball and spending the past two years rehabbing from two major surgeries? If the Marlins, and maybe the Cardinals, have taught us, is that you don't plug your 60 payer pool full of guys who won't play in MLB games this year. Put a couple guys in but stack it with guys that you feel are at least ready to play in emergency situations yet are expendable.

Also, you haven't updated Coonrod to the IL and Selman on the active roster yet.
I am using Roster Resources as my source. They may have some errors.

But I TRY to keep the 40-man updated on a per-transaction basis, but there just isn’t much press coverage about these details this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Humphreys, I don't understand why burn a spot in the pool for a guy like him.
It doesn’t strike me that the 60 man list is that important. They probably added him so that they could get a good look at him before removing him and ending his season. I can the team cycling through a bunch of kids like this this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t strike me that the 60 man list is that important. They probably added him so that they could get a good look at him before removing him and ending his season. I can the team cycling through a bunch of kids like this this year.
I don't think the rules are quite clear on how to remove a player from the 60 player pool, outside of release, trade or dfa. I may have missed somewhere where it says other ways. I'll check the old website we used to use for rule clarifications.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting. The Giants traded Billy Hamilton to the Mets for Jordan Humphreys. Humphreys looked good in low A ball in 2017 but has pitched in only 6 professional games since then. A bit surprised that they dealt Hamilton. I guess FZ is more content with Duggar than I thought or maybe he just really needed to do something else on the transaction side of things.

My take is that they REALLY like Humphries and didn't see much opportunity to use Hamilton. Win/win.

I think it was a heads up move.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is that they REALLY like Humphries and didn't see much opportunity to use Hamilton. Win/win.

I think it was a heads up move.
I am not certain how much I subscribe to the “REALLY” portion of your post, but the general gist is about right, I think.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted what I found on the rules thread. He is basically on the 60 player pool until the end of the season, he's traded or released.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just posted what I found on the rules thread. He is basically on the 60 player pool until the end of the season, he's traded or released.
So, once on the 60, you are on unless you are dfa’d (or otherwise potentially removed from the org).

interesting.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just found this:

The Giants made the following roster moves today:

LHP Drew Smyly placed on the 10-day IL with a left index finger strain

RHP Andrew Triggs (#66) selected from Alternate Training Site.

RHP Jandel Gustave designated for assignment