• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Humphreys is “opting out”?

That’s convenient...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my count is right, that leaves us with 59 on the 60...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Humphreys is “opting out”?

That’s convenient...
The Giants' website, and I quote, says "Right-hander Jordan Humphreys, who came over from the Mets in the Billy Hamilton trade earlier this month, was placed on the restricted list with a “family-related” issue, clearing a spot for Basabe on the 40-man roster."

I did not put the quotation marks around "family-related" either.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my count is right, that leaves us with 59 on the 60...
That is what I see as well, except the Giants' website lists Keon Wong outrighted to Sacramento and Rob Brantly outrighted to the alternate training site. I still don't understand how that works but it seems to be what is happening.

A few observations I have on these transactions:
1. The timing of the Basabe pickup, a day after Pence's gaffe is intriguing but merely coincidental. The claim would have been made before that game.
2. This is the 2nd time Suarez has been optioned in the last week. Neither time he made an appearance with the club.
3. I wonder why Chris Shaw and Melvin Adon have survived so many dfas. If they have no future with the club (not being on the 60 player pool list is a pretty obvious statement), then why would the club hang on to them? Why dfa guys like Avelino, Brantly and Siri when they were viewed as valuable enough to add to the 60 player pool?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill is on the bump tonight. He will need to be added to both the 28 and 40, so I am thinking Sandoval may be gone?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could also option Selman and DFA Shaw...
I see this to be much more likely. But why Cahill over Suarez or Rodriguez? I know that neither of the latter were particularly effective last year but have you seen Cahill when he starts the past year? Given that they all pitched about the same, I'd pick the younger guys who are more likely to rebound than an older veteran.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill is on the bump tonight. He will need to be added to both the 28 and 40, so I am thinking Sandoval may be gone?
Thinking over it a bit further, there is another move to make room on the 40 man roster, but it is a long shot - move Jeff Samardzija to the 45 day IL. Last time he had shoulder issues, he wasn't healthy the rest of the year. Just shut him down and make room for someone else. However, the ownership invested heavily in him so unless a doctor says he's done, I don't see this happening.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking over it a bit further, there is another move to make room on the 40 man roster, but it is a long shot - move Jeff Samardzija to the 45 day IL. Last time he had shoulder issues, he wasn't healthy the rest of the year. Just shut him down and make room for someone else. However, the ownership invested heavily in him so unless a doctor says he's done, I don't see this happening.
He is a FA after this season, right? No reason to protect him from himself if that is the case. Squeeze every inning out of him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really want this team to tank for a high 2021 draft pick, don't you?
I don’t know. No college players are having impressive seasons. Not one player has played well enough to tank for.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill added to 40 and 28
Rodriguez added to 28
Rico Garcia optioned
Menez optioned
Triggs DFA’d

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cahill added to 40 and 28
Rodriguez added to 28
Rico Garcia optioned
Menez optioned
Triggs DFA’d
I understand Garcia and I understand Triggs (wasn't sure why he was added in the first place) but why Menez going down? Are they going to stretch him out as a starter? What does that even look like this year? He was one of the few good pieces in the bullpen.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Garcia and I understand Triggs (wasn't sure why he was added in the first place) but why Menez going down? Are they going to stretch him out as a starter? What does that even look like this year? He was one of the few good pieces in the bullpen.

They're saving him for the future, dontchaknow.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also saw this on the Giants' website:
08/09/20 San Francisco Giants sent RHP Jandel Gustave outright to Giants Alternate Training Site.
08/14/20 San Francisco Giants invited non-roster RHP Jake Jewell to spring training.
08/16/20 San Francisco Giants sent SS Abiatal Avelino outright to Giants Alternate Training Site.

I thought Jake Jewell was already on the 60 player pool. Not sure why he is listed as invited to spring training two days ago (maybe a listing error on their transaction page).
I'm accepting the possibility that I somehow just read the rules about the 60 player pool incorrectly and that dfa's aren't technically removing a player from the pool (cannot see how that is possible considering it removes them from the active and 40 man rosters, which is what I understood the rules to be for losing status on the 60 player pool, but I digress).
Avelino and Gustave put the pool at the max.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More roster changes.
Steven Duggar is up and Dereck Rodriguez has been optioned. If Duggar can just hit a little bit, we may see less of Hunter Pence in the field.
Also, after I posted that the Giants announced that they had sent Jandel Gustave to alternate site, the Pirates announced that they signed the pitcher. What?!?! The transactions reporting this year is just a mess.