• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to create two spots for whoever they go with as the two catchers. You don't think, especially with Longoria and Belt not available, that they will carry Sanchez and Ruf in the infield?
Man, I don’t know. Rosters are so confusing this year. And with the lay-off and the crap team and the constant roster shuffling to the point where I envy the stability of the A’s roster over the last 15 years, I am having a hard time finding the time to care...

And on top of that, the DH is here, and likely for good.

Not an attack at your question. Just a rant about the situation.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I don’t know. Rosters are so confusing this year. And with the lay-off and the crap team and the constant roster shuffling to the point where I envy the stability of the A’s roster over the last 15 years, I am having a hard time finding the time to care...

No attack taken. This year is weird, frustrating and, quite frankly, its been harder to care about this season. No minor league season makes it harder still because I love to follow their progress. Really, the only thing I've semi gotten into this year is trying to figure out who makes the roster.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have the same feeling. I've drafted at least three or four "roster projection" posts but it's just super exhausting this year that I ultimately end up deleting them after a few minutes of research.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mildly surprised a few names are not on here: Trevor Cahill, Dereck Rodriguez, Yolmer Sanchez and Steven Duggar. I thought Billy Hamilton would be ready to go by today but I was obviously wrong. That is why Steven Duggar's omission from this list is surprising. However, I have no idea how any of these guys looked in summer training so it may make complete sense to roll with this group.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Giants need to make room for 3 players on the 40 man roster. Henry Shulman listed two players who got dfa'd - Keon Wong (no surprise since he wasn't in camp) and Jose Siri. Siri is much more surprising as he was in camp and I would have thought that Adon, Gustave or Shaw would have gotten the axe first since they weren't in camp. There is still a third player that needs to be dfa'd so one of those 3 could still get the cut.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mildly surprised a few names are not on here: Trevor Cahill, Dereck Rodriguez, Yolmer Sanchez and Steven Duggar. I thought Billy Hamilton would be ready to go by today but I was obviously wrong. That is why Steven Duggar's omission from this list is surprising. However, I have no idea how any of these guys looked in summer training so it may make complete sense to roll with this group.

I think D Rod is ...

I dunno.

I'm not feeling it from him.

Is he done?

Is he going to get some seasoning and become the starter they wish he was...?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dubon must have really impressed in CF. Davis and Yaz can also cover in a pinch. But I suspect Dubon will get most of the time there.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Giants need to make room for 3 players on the 40 man roster. Henry Shulman listed two players who got dfa'd - Keon Wong (no surprise since he wasn't in camp) and Jose Siri. Siri is much more surprising as he was in camp and I would have thought that Adon, Gustave or Shaw would have gotten the axe first since they weren't in camp. There is still a third player that needs to be dfa'd so one of those 3 could still get the cut.

I'm a bit disappointed they cut Siri over Shaw. I don't get it with Shaw, they don't invite him to camp, don't call him up in September last year, never talk about him yet he hangs around.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit disappointed they cut Siri over Shaw. I don't get it with Shaw, they don't invite him to camp, don't call him up in September last year, never talk about him yet he hangs around.
I don't understand how they handle Shaw either. Surprised that they brought Siri to camp, only to cut him. Had they cut Shaw, he would be able to stay with the org and even get brought into the 60 player pool, if so desired. With Siri, they brought him late to camp, so he didn't get the same look as other outfielders, and now they can only add him to the 60 player pool if he gets picked up by another org and then the Giants somehow re-acquire him. Especially in light of FZ's comments about further transactions due to the pandemic, its really odd to make this move.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they actively did not like what they saw from Siri

[“Siri, stop!”]

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I updated the roster to account for today’s active roster announcement.

I removed Hamilton from the Inactive List because there really isnt any reason to have players not on the 40 on that list. See we can assume that anyone on the 10-day is also on the 40/60. I am still playing with the format for this year, so bear with me...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants finalize 30-man Opening Day roster

Some updated information - Steven Duggar and Andrew Suarez are two of the three players on the taxi squad. The third is supposed to be a catcher (they will need to add someone soon and I doubt it will be either of Bart or Bailey). Its not Tromp because he is currently injured. So is Yolmer Sanchez. Apparently, that is why neither are on the roster. This article doesn't explain why only two players were dfa'd to create room on the 40 man roster or which catcher wouldn't have made the team if Tromp was healthy (or if the team would have instead carried 3 catchers).

Also, and I find this interesting, the Giants only have 3 pitchers, an infielder and an outfielder who are healthy and able to be activated from the 40 man roster. That makes things very difficult to manage the 40 man roster if they need to add someone else. Between having an expanded roster and not having a full AAA squad available to pick from, the moves are very restricted in who they bring up. There are 3 guys that could easily be removed from the 40 man roster, though, so that does give some flexibility, for example, to purchase Tromp and option Heineman, so that they don't lose a catcher or a lone infielder or outfielder not active.

Speaking of catchers, if the Giants outside of the organization to get another catcher for the taxi squad, they have room for one more player in the 60 player pool.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB.com (this puts the 60 player pool at a full 60):
Catcher Chris Herrmann, who joined the Giants on a Minor League deal on Saturday, is expected to report to Sacramento on Tuesday when the club kicks off its first homestand of the year at Oracle Park. Herrmann is currently on the Giants’ three-man taxi squad, meaning the Giants will have to swap in another catcher to replace him on Tuesday. Kapler declined to share more details on the club’s future catching plans, though he said Chadwick Tromp (hamstring tightness) was “trending in the right direction” on Saturday.

@calsnowskier , neither Wong nor Siri would count on the 60 player pool. They are not allowed on there any longer, unless another club gets them and then the Giants re-acquire them.

Also, apparently the Giants get a pass on carrying only 40 players on the 40 man roster. If you go to the team website and click on the 40 man roster link, you'll see 44 players listed. Three of them (Moronta, A. Garcia and Beede) are on the 60 day IL. Not sure how that works, but, hey, its 2020.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I updated the roster to account for today’s active roster announcement.

I removed Hamilton from the Inactive List because there really isnt any reason to have players not on the 40 on that list. See we can assume that anyone on the 10-day is also on the 40/60. I am still playing with the format for this year, so bear with me...
49kpm9.jpg

:dhd::dhd::dhd::dhd:

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chadwick Tromp contract purchased and Rob Brantly dfa'd. Brantly is now off all three roster layers.
I think Tromp was the “winner” of the job out of camp, but he was hurt/“positive” so he couldn’t make the opening roster (to be clear, I have not heard he was positive, just listing it as a possibility). I suspect Brantly was more of a place holder for him.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tromp was the “winner” of the job out of camp, but he was hurt/“positive” so he couldn’t make the opening roster (to be clear, I have not heard he was positive, just listing it as a possibility). I suspect Brantly was more of a place holder for him.
It is interesting that the Giants would roll with two rookies at catcher. I like it but a bit surprised.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting that the Giants would roll with two rookies at catcher. I like it but a bit surprised.
Willard (on the post game show) was saying he thinks Bart will be up this weekend. That makes no sense. Calling him up year just has no logic too it. And why do that 1 day after adding another catcher to the roster.