• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the kind words but I don't feel like you are attacking me. I've got no problems with questions, especially since I do tend to harp on this.
I didn't know the exact amount of players the organization can carry, but knew it was somewhere in the ballpark number you mentioned. The thing is, by my count (I'm so nerdy, I track minor league transactions and keep a list of the guys still in the farm), there is approximately 215 guys under contract (about 14 of them are on the 40 man roster, I took the 40 and subtracted 26, considering Cueto will most assuredly be on the injured list at the beginning of the season). More specifically, the Giants, historically, have hoarded guys who were over the hill and/or broken down, and continued to play them to the detriment of guys they've been bringing up and who, I felt, deserved the playing time and/or promotion, more. In this case, the Giants have brought back Ronnie Freeman, and brought in Cameron Rupp, Rene Rivera and Stephen Vogt when they already have Aramis Garcia and, most likely, a healthy Buster Posey. I had no problems with two of Rupp, Rivera and Vogt but the Vogt signing seemed too much.
Know I understand that there's a new regime so I guess old habits (on my part) die hard. But I'm still a bit skeptical on whether they let loose a couple of those guys because of a poor spring. I really like to see Matt Winn in AA and Hamlet Marte is an intriguing 6 year signing that I think deserves to play in AA too. Jin-De Jang also would be pushing for AA playing time as well. With Joey Bart landing in San Jose, these guys are getting squeezed. I don't want to see Freeman and/or Rupp land there. I'd rather they be in AAA or out of the org (either backing up Garcia, or Garcia backing up Posey).

I'm of the same mindset, and I would be mad as well with over the hill guys getting looks. At catcher I'm not really concerned about it though (now, I'm not a fan of Rupp at all so I'm glad they brought in other guys), and at most of the other positions it seems like they been filling the system with guys with a bit more upside. So even if someone like Gerber or whoever gets the nod over Shaw, I wouldn't be as mad as if it was someone like Ruggiano, like in years past.

edit: or someone like Parra over Mac . . .

Reactions: LHG

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Lopez pickup. He will start in Sacto, but he could be a very nice add. He may be a top 20 prospect for us right now.

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Lopez pickup. He will start in Sacto, but he could be a very nice add. He may be a top 20 prospect for us right now.
I wonder if Osich will clear waivers? He's got nasty stuff and still has 2 options left but his numbers have been awful the past couple of years. Everyone else that the Giants have dfa'd recently have cleared.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Osich will clear waivers? He's got nasty stuff and still has 2 options left but his numbers have been awful the past couple of years. Everyone else that the Giants have dfa'd recently have cleared.
A filthy lefty. I would not be surprised to see him claimed. But the Giants stink on him may allow him to get through.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the same mindset, and I would be mad as well with over the hill guys getting looks. At catcher I'm not really concerned about it though (now, I'm not a fan of Rupp at all so I'm glad they brought in other guys), and at most of the other positions it seems like they been filling the system with guys with a bit more upside. So even if someone like Gerber or whoever gets the nod over Shaw, I wouldn't be as mad as if it was someone like Ruggiano, like in years past.

edit: or someone like Parra over Mac . . .
My concern with catcher is that they keep all the vets they signed. That's so much and pushes other guys down a level from where they should be.
And I'm not excited about Parra at all. However, I'd be not as not happy about it if he's mainly a 4th outfielder.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern with catcher is that they keep all the vets they signed. That's so much and pushes other guys down a level from where they should be.
And I'm not excited about Parra at all. However, I'd be not as not happy about it if he's mainly a 4th outfielder.
I would be surprised if he finishes the year on the team. But starting with 3 rookies in the OF just isn’t going to happen (I know Dugger and Mac are not technically rookies).

As for the catchers, as I have always said, any real prospect will determine his level, regardless of anyone else. For example, Bart will go at his pace. No one else will determine where he plays. We don’t have any other catchers at a higher level than him that deserves any consideration whatsoever (save for Garcia).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Gott acquired from the Nats for cash.
Cueto placed on the 60-day IL

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Gott??

Trevor Gott Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

And players can be put on the 60 already??
Apparently so (maybe part of the change from disabled list to injured list?). I know that Zaidi likes to pick up guys constantly. This may get nauseating, though.

As for Gott, he hasn't shown anything since 2015 (except a brief stint with the Nats in 2016). That pick up makes no sense when the Giants recently jettisoned a similar pitcher (in terms of production) in Derek Law just a couple of weeks ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using up that roster spot makes it a tad bit tougher for Parra or Rivera to make the team.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using up that roster spot makes it a tad bit tougher for Parra or Rivera to make the team.

Not really. Zaidi's MO is to use the dfa/waiver wire liberally. He's not afraid (as we've already seen this offseason) to expose guys.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alberto doesn’t have any options, so he will likely be DFA’d before the end of the weekend.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanser Alberto is back with the Orioles, who just picked him up off waivers. I haven't seen any corresponding move by the Giants yet but I've got to think they've claimed someone.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 open spots. You gotta think there are moves coming within hours. Hopefully “other events” don’t get in the way of whatever moves are coming.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 open spots. You gotta think there are moves coming within hours. Hopefully “other events” don’t get in the way of whatever moves are coming.
Two? I only know of the spot vacated by Alberto and was surprised that there wasn't a corresponding announcement of another pick up at that time.

However, Zaidi did clear out a bunch of guys early in the offseason and then, slowly, filled those spots with other players, over the course of a month. Maybe he's just anticipating one of Solarte/Rivera/Parra/Maybin/Vogt being picked up and wanted to make the move now.