• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty similar to Drew Ferguson
Ferguson plays center and has so-so HR power with legit gap power. Andreoli seems rather pointless.

But he does have 2 options, so maybe they think there is something there they can work with.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word what we gave up for Barrett?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As with Gerber, I'll bet they did that move hoping that they'd be able to stash him in AAA.

Barrett is basically replacing Law, but he has an option.
I just don't understand the need for that. They've already got Steven Duggar, Drew Ferguson, Chris Shaw, Austin Slater and Mac Williamson on the 40 man roster. Additionally, there they've picked up Anthony Garcia, Mike Gerber, Levi Michael, Henry Ramos and Brock Stassi as minor league free agents. How does John Andreoli stand out among this group enough to have even picked him up? To me, its one thing to look at the potential outfield configuration and think about upgrading through free agency or trades (which is questionable enough, in my mind, in its necessity). Its quite another to feel like picking up a bunch more unproven guys in their mid to late 20s by the bunches. Seems completely unnecessary.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand the need for that. They've already got Steven Duggar, Drew Ferguson, Chris Shaw, Austin Slater and Mac Williamson on the 40 man roster. Additionally, there they've picked up Anthony Garcia, Mike Gerber, Levi Michael, Henry Ramos and Brock Stassi as minor league free agents. How does John Andreoli stand out among this group enough to have even picked him up? To me, its one thing to look at the potential outfield configuration and think about upgrading through free agency or trades (which is questionable enough, in my mind, in its necessity). Its quite another to feel like picking up a bunch more unproven guys in their mid to late 20s by the bunches. Seems completely unnecessary.
Andreoli, in particular, is especially unremarkable. I like Ferguson, and Garber offers moderate power with decent D. But Andreoli doesn’t have a power tool or a bat tool, and he only plays the corner outfield positions. Why bring him in at all? Slightly above average speed? Ho hum.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean these guys have to do SOMETHING well, or have some sort of translatable tool that stands out on the field but not in their statlines. Max Muncy didn't really show much of anything of note before exploding for the dodgers. Taylor was similar (although his numbers were pretty good). The Giants have picked up a number of these guys in the past too (Torres, Casilla etc.). It's better than them picking up a bunch of Aaron Hills to fill the AAA roster.

I get the argument, but you can't have enough depth in the minor leagues. You saw how gutted Sacramento got by July.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean these guys have to do SOMETHING well, or have some sort of translatable tool that stands out on the field but not in their statlines. Max Muncy didn't really show much of anything of note before exploding for the dodgers. Taylor was similar (although his numbers were pretty good). The Giants have picked up a number of these guys in the past too (Torres, Casilla etc.). It's better than them picking up a bunch of Aaron Hills to fill the AAA roster.

I get the argument, but you can't have enough depth in the minor leagues. You saw how gutted Sacramento got by July.
The problem with that is where do you stash them from April to June? I don't know how many guys can be stuck in extended spring training or what the rules are for who can be there, but I doubt many guys would want to be idle from actual games that long (like they have much choice, though). I think the depth is fine as is. It just seems too much, but that is Zaidi's MO, based on what he did with the Dodgers.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Andreoli is a good person. I met him a few times when he was on Cape.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is where do you stash them from April to June? I don't know how many guys can be stuck in extended spring training or what the rules are for who can be there, but I doubt many guys would want to be idle from actual games that long (like they have much choice, though). I think the depth is fine as is. It just seems too much, but that is Zaidi's MO, based on what he did with the Dodgers.

I think the Giants won't have a hard time finding somewhere for these guys to play, even if it's a lower level.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants won't have a hard time finding somewhere for these guys to play, even if it's a lower level.
If you start talking about AA level, then names like Dylan Davis, Johneshwy Fargas, Jacob Heyward, Ronnie Jebavy, Bryce Johnson and Heath Quinn have to be added to the mix. You pushed a few of them down and they are competing with Logan Baldwin, Aaron Bond, Dalton Combs, Sandro Fabian, Heliot Ramos and Malique Ziegler.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you start talking about AA level, then names like Dylan Davis, Johneshwy Fargas, Jacob Heyward, Ronnie Jebavy, Bryce Johnson and Heath Quinn have to be added to the mix. You pushed a few of them down and they are competing with Logan Baldwin, Aaron Bond, Dalton Combs, Sandro Fabian, Heliot Ramos and Malique Ziegler.

Not going to lose sleep over Davis, Fargas or Jebavy losing PT.

I get your point, but SO MUCH movement happens in the minors that it probably won't be a big deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured he would sign with Giants, Astros or Rangers, with the Rangers being the most likely. I posted as much a while back (too lazy to find the post).

Again, happy for him. Kinda like Pat the Bat joining the Giants. But it sucks to see him elsewhere.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured he would sign with Giants, Astros or Rangers, with the Rangers being the most likely. I posted as much a while back (too lazy to find the post).

Again, happy for him. Kinda like Pat the Bat joining the Giants. But it sucks to see him elsewhere.

Pretty much EXACTLY like Pat the Bat, hopefully it works out for him. But it will be odd.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t understand this contract, though. He signed a minor league deal worth 2M plus incentives?

Is that even allowed? Does that count towards lux tax (not sure it matters for the Rangers, but I am curious about the “legalities” of the signing).