• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current form

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our current form has given me a little hope.

I'm a realist and I don't have high expectations but I'd like to see us make a push for a wild card spot.

Failing that at least finish .500.

Other than one, or two moves, I'd like us to stand pat and not get rid of anyone.

Just me?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mays-Fan would agree with you. Most of the rest on this forum would still want to see us be sellers but a long winning streak may change that for some (just guessing on that last statement).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Mays-Fan would agree with you. Most of the rest on this forum would still want to see us be sellers but a long winning streak may change that for some (just guessing on that last statement).
Thank you for the nod.

I would lean towards being a seller today IF we had an above average farm system to build on for the future, but we don't.

I have no idea what our cap room is right now, if any. That obviously impacts our ability to be a buyer.

At the risk of being Capt Obvious, the next 15 games are key. If we continue to make up ground, we should not sell.

The hitters are starting to hit, and the pitchers are starting to pitch. We could be a very good team if Posey, Crawford, and Panik start to hit at their norms. That's not an unrealistic ask.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have 4 legit blue-chippers on the farm. If we can add 1 or 2 more, along with some additional b-level and lotto picks, I think we could be positioned pretty well for ‘21

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our current form has given me a little hope.

I'm a realist and I don't have high expectations but I'd like to see us make a push for a wild card spot.

Failing that at least finish .500.

Other than one, or two moves, I'd like us to stand pat and not get rid of anyone.

Just me?

Not JUST you but you're in a very small minority. What is the benefit of standing pat and refusing to do what it takes to rebuild the team?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for the nod.

I would lean towards being a seller today IF we had an above average farm system to build on for the future, but we don't.

I have no idea what our cap room is right now, if any. That obviously impacts our ability to be a buyer.

At the risk of being Capt Obvious, the next 15 games are key. If we continue to make up ground, we should not sell.

The hitters are starting to hit, and the pitchers are starting to pitch. We could be a very good team if Posey, Crawford, and Panik start to hit at their norms. That's not an unrealistic ask.

This is what I meant about baseball breaking your heart.

What would you say the wins needed for a wild card berth is this year? Right now the 2nd wild cards are on pace for 85 wins. Let's be generous and say that's the goal and no one above us (there are 9 teams between us and the 2nd WC) gets hot. We have to go 46-30 the rest of the way, a .605 pace. And all those teams above us have to beat each other up so no one above us goes .605 or better and in fact they need to do worse than that. Just don't see how that's really possible, even mathematically.

Its not just being back 6 games and being well under .500, it's having so many other teams in between and less than half a season to pass them all. But sure, if they go 13-2 the next few weeks maybe they reconsider. Not the way to bet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not JUST you but you're in a very small minority. What is the benefit of standing pat and refusing to do what it takes to rebuild the team?
But msg...

Medicine tastes icky. I don’t wanna take my medicine. I don’t wanna.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I meant about baseball breaking your heart.

What would you say the wins needed for a wild card berth is this year? Right now the 2nd wild cards are on pace for 85 wins. Let's be generous and say that's the goal and no one above us (there are 9 teams between us and the 2nd WC) gets hot. We have to go 46-30 the rest of the way, a .605 pace. And all those teams above us have to beat each other up so no one above us goes .605 or better and in fact they need to do worse than that. Just don't see how that's really possible, even mathematically.

Its not just being back 6 games and being well under .500, it's having so many other teams in between and less than half a season to pass them all. But sure, if they go 13-2 the next few weeks maybe they reconsider. Not the way to bet.
I completely agree with your math angle.

But, being a fan, the further the comeback, the sweeter the taste.

Yes, it is a longshot. But I'm betting this with my heart, not my wallet. Unless someone wants to give me 100 to 1 odds. That would be good pot odds.

Things were grim in 2014, too. There was the same tear down and build for the future kind of talk then, too.

Sometimes, as a fan, you just have to believe.

We'll see how the next 12 or 15 games go.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, it is a longshot. But I'm betting this with my heart, not my wallet. Unless someone wants to give me 100 to 1 odds. That would be good pot odds.

Things were grim in 2014, too. There was the same tear down and build for the future kind of talk then, too.

Can't argue with any of that.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't remember 2014 ever looking this grim, but I wasn't on this forum yet so I don't know how others were looking at 2014 (at least, not without poking around posts from that season, which I don't feel like doing at the moment).

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that worries me right now with regards to how they’re playing is the All Star break. 4 days off can be a real killer when you’re riding the momentum they are now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing that worries me right now with regards to how they’re playing is the All Star break. 4 days off can be a real killer when you’re riding the momentum they are now.

Yeah, we all know too well about that :L

(Best record in baseball going into 2016 ASB, worst record since? Nearly worst?)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember 2014 ever looking this grim, but I wasn't on this forum yet so I don't know how others were looking at 2014 (at least, not without poking around posts from that season, which I don't feel like doing at the moment).
Neither do I. Granted, no one was expecting another championship (not seriously, at least), but I don’t remember any “tear it down” talk. At least not in a serious, act now fashion. I don’t think any of that talk started until after the ‘16 season.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good shouts, thanks gang.

@Mays-Fan hit the nail on the head about Crawford, Posey, and Panik.

I fear Posey may not ever regain his form at the plate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for the rebuild, I'm also ready for a miracle...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just glanced at the standings in the NL. A lot has been (rightfully) focused on how many teams it would take to get to the 2nd Wild Card spot. What could be inferred, but not explicitly mentioned, is that, even with the good play of late, the Giants have the 3rd worst record in the NL. Only the Mets and Marlins are below, and the Mets are just a half game behind us. If the Mets start playing better, we could easily be 8 teams behind the 2nd WC spot. It would be amazing to see this team pull something off, but I'm not sure that is something the FO needs to bet on doing, even if half the teams just above us sell off their best assets in the trading deadline.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of current form:

353z38.jpg

How many of us were fans way back when...?

Also, how long do we have before we can't edit a post anymore?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

353z38.jpg

i think it is 10 mins

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

353z38.jpg

My earliest vivid memory is listening on the radio with marichal on mound and wills at first. 13 pickoff attempts in a row and finally got heeeem! Had to have been 67ish.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the word on JC?