• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Culliver week 1 49ers vs. Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This analysis is so subjective and has some flaws to it when you allow your biases enter your research study. When you make a comment like: "I believe it was his job to simply make the tackle on those plays not to break up those passes" it clearly shows me that you are unaware of what a cornerback's job is supposed to be in any level of football (PopWarner all the way to the the pros).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keys to beating the 49ers
Early strikes will be key for a Ravens upset
Originally Published: January 30, 2013
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Neutralizing Frank Gore and the San Francisco ground game is one key for the Ravens.

On Tuesday, we looked at some of the Baltimore Ravens' worst games this season, and what weaknesses those games revealed that could come back to haunt John Harbaugh's team in the Super Bowl. Today, we're turning the tables and looking at the lowlights of the San Francisco 49ers and examining the holes in Jim Harbaugh's team.

As described in the Baltimore article, we're looking for each team's worst games as measured by DVOA, Football Outsiders' exclusive statistic that measures every play of the NFL season one at a time (explained further here). And it turns out that this is something of a challenge, because the 49ers had only two games with a negative DVOA this season, the 26-3 loss to the Giants in Week 6, and the 42-13 loss to Seattle in Week 16. Those are two very bad losses, but it's still hard to draw meaningful conclusions from a two-game sample. So, we'll have to add a trio of games in which San Francisco's DVOA barely snuck into positive numbers: a 24-13 loss to the Vikings in Week 3, a 24-all tie with the Rams in Week 10 and a 16-13 overtime loss in a rematch with the Rams in Week 13.

Two of these games came with Alex Smith at quarterback, and three with Colin Kaepernick. Despite the youngster's playoff heroics, it's important to remember that Kaepernick has started only nine games in his NFL career, and his lack of experience could come back to bite San Francisco at any time.

To be fair to Kaepernick (and Smith for that matter), it was the 49ers' passing defense, not the passing offense, that failed them in their worst games. San Francisco allowed these five opponents to complete 64 percent of their passes, and while those throws gained only 6.7 yards each, they produced nine touchdowns against five sacks and only one interception.

The 49ers were particularly vulnerable to the deep pass. Opponents in these five games completed half their passes that traveled more than 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, for an average of 11.8 yards per play. There was plenty of blame to go around on these bombs, but the most common victim was nickelback Chris Culliver, a second-round draft pick in 2011.

Chris Culliver has had a tendency to be beaten deep.

As Danny Tuccitto noted in FO's NFC Championship Game preview, Culliver actually had better coverage numbers over the course of the season than either of San Francisco's starting corners, Carlos Rogers or Tarell Brown. When he did make mistakes, though, they resulted in big chunks of yards for the 49ers' opponents.

Regardless of pass distance, most of San Francisco's coverage struggles came when its opponents were in scoring range. Inside their own 40-yard line, the 49ers allowed opponents to complete 66 percent of their passes, with nine touchdowns and no sacks or interceptions. And finally, it's worth noting that the 49ers played their worst in the first quarter, when opponents completed 69 percent of their passes for 8.7 yards per attempt.

The lesson of all these figures? The Ravens would be wise to let Joe Flacco loose early, and especially after they cross midfield. And if they're fortunate enough to get Torrey Smith matched up with Culliver (which will likely happen at some point, because San Francisco often uses Rogers in the slot in its nickel defense), that could be their best bet for a big play.

On the other side of the ball, the 49ers' rushing attack usually struggled in their worst games. Note the word "usually." There was nothing wrong with the ground game in Week 10, when Frank Gore had 97 yards on 21 carries and Kaepernick chipped in with 66 and eight. San Francisco's other four bad games, though, all started with spotty results when the 49ers tried to run the ball:

• In Week 3 against Minnesota, Gore carried 12 times for 63 yards, but also had a fumble. His backup, Kendall Hunter, rushed four times for exactly zero yards.

• The 49ers trailed most of the way against the Giants in Week 6 and ran the ball only 17 times, four of those scrambles by Smith and Kaepernick. Gore had 36 yards on eight carries, three of which resulted in no gain or a loss.

• Gore had more problems in the second Rams game, when he finished with 58 yards on 23 carries. Nearly half his yardage came on a gain of 23, and only six of his carries gained more than 2 yards.

• Gore was again limited against Seattle in Week 16, running just six times for 28 yards. The 49ers had only 19 runs on the day, seven by Kaepernick, including five scrambles.

Put it all together, and there's a pretty clear path to a Ravens Super Bowl win. They must win the opening drives on defense, then hit enough big plays in the passing game to take an early lead. That would go a long way to taking San Francisco's running attack off the table. It's not a foolproof plan -- Atlanta jumped ahead of the 49ers 17-0 in the NFC title game and Kaepernick still led them to a comeback victory -- but it's Baltimore's best shot to pull an upset in the Super Bowl. Some say that championships are won in the fourth quarter, but the winner of Sunday's game might be determined by what happens before the first quarter ends.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This analysis is so subjective and has some flaws to it when you allow your biases enter your research study. When you make a comment like: "I believe it was his job to simply make the tackle on those plays not to break up those passes" it clearly shows me that you are unaware of what a cornerback's job is supposed to be in any level of football (PopWarner all the way to the the pros).

It's a guy's opinion, of course it is going to be biased. Are your statements any different?

I found it interesting.

You do know sometimes the scheme is for the cb to keep the play in front of him, allow cushion and to protect against the deep route, right?

Sometimes a cb is just 1/11th of a machine that involves a lot of moving parts.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a guy's opinion, of course it is going to be biased. Are your statements any different?

What makes my statement different than his because he assumes that his opinion is "proof". Concrete evidence that Culliver is great. I have always said cornerbacks and offensive linemen are the two hardest positions to breakdown and analyze because the stats are extremely subjective. No one, not even your experts from PFF can do 100% objective research analysis on corners. When you say: "I am making this thread so there is proof of good play or bad pla" than it that is all I need to hear/read to accurately assess that the person is making that comment is clueless about that particular position.

You do know sometimes the scheme is for the cb to keep the play in front of him, allow cushion and to protect against the deep route, right?

Sometimes a cb is just 1/11th of a machine that involves a lot of moving parts.

Yes! you seem to get it. Yet, there are a lot of fans here who relies on PFF as their only source of instrument to draw a conclusion. They post things like: "on this down, he was thrown at 5 times and all 5 passes were completed against him". So my I'm outloud (though I don't write it) So da phuck what!??" What does that data mean? What does it prove? Do you know the DC's scheme at the moment with regard to communication with the safety and LBs. They cite data just to cite without knowing or taking into account other varialbes within that particular inforamation they are attempting to reveal to the reader such as coaches input/requirement/down and distance etc.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd like to see brown on smith every down if possible. the key to good pass d is the pass rush unless u have a shutdown corner and we don't have deion sanders anymore so.....

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A- for everyone!!! They beat the Packers and made their troll fans cry!

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo, with all due respect, you are being a stubborn ass. You cannot say that he is stating his opinion is proof when the sentence leads with "I believe". That is clearly him interjecting his opinion or analysis of the play after having already given the play-by-play.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, with all due respect, you are being a stubborn ass. You cannot say that he is stating his opinion is proof when the sentence leads with "I believe". That is clearly him interjecting his opinion or analysis of the play after having already given the play-by-play.

I am not stating anything. He is saying that, making that claim himself. Again, if you didn't read his post this is what he said:
"I am making this thread so there is proof of good play or bad play."

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not stating anything. He is saying that, making that claim himself. Again, if you didn't read his post this is what he said:

And I would assume that your grasp of the english language would recognize that there were no ABSOLUTES in that statement above. In his posts, he has clearly stated the PROOF being the play and what definitely happened with it. He also interjected some commentary and even started the fucking sentence with "I BELIEVE" just so you couldn't get confused with facts vs. opinion, yet you still find a way to twist it up to suit your combative nature with regards to Culliver.

IDGAF if you want to dispute his OPINION but if your argument towards his OPINION looks like "look you said it was all facts and you don't know what you are talking about" then you made need some help in rhetorical discourse.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And I would assume that your grasp of the english language would recognize that there were no ABSOLUTES in that statement above. In his posts, he has clearly stated the PROOF being the play and what definitely happened with it. He also interjected some commentary and even started the fucking sentence with "I BELIEVE" just so you couldn't get confused with facts vs. opinion, yet you still find a way to twist it up to suit your combative nature with regards to Culliver.

IDGAF if you want to dispute his OPINION but if your argument towards his OPINION looks like "look you said it was all facts and you don't know what you are talking about" then you made need some help in rhetorical discourse.

Dre, you're such a prick. Again, if you're not going to bother to read his post then why continue. Where did he say I believe when he started this paragraph. It is absolute truth when he is trying to be objective with his analysis. This is the last time I am going to post this for you so your time at ESPN message board with Cazic and them has fried your brain. So I apologize if you are unable to stay focus because of that, but I shouldn't apologize for your laziness in interpreting what he is saying. Again this is the paragraph:

Culliver has been hated on with little to no proof that he has been bad this year. I am making this thread so there is proof of good play or bad play.

If that is not an attempt of someone trying to be objective (absolute truth), then I don't know what is?? That was not an opinion.

sfninersfan2991

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What makes my statement different than his because he assumes that his opinion is "proof". Concrete evidence that Culliver is great. I have always said cornerbacks and offensive linemen are the two hardest positions to breakdown and analyze because the stats are extremely subjective. No one, not even your experts from PFF can do 100% objective research analysis on corners. When you say: "I am making this thread so there is proof of good play or bad pla" than it that is all I need to hear/read to accurately assess that the person is making that comment is clueless about that particular position.

Yes! you seem to get it. Yet, there are a lot of fans here who relies on PFF as their only source of instrument to draw a conclusion. They post things like: "on this down, he was thrown at 5 times and all 5 passes were completed against him". So my I'm outloud (though I don't write it) So da phuck what!??" What does that data mean? What does it prove? Do you know the DC's scheme at the moment with regard to communication with the safety and LBs. They cite data just to cite without knowing or taking into account other varialbes within that particular inforamation they are attempting to reveal to the reader such as coaches input/requirement/down and distance etc.

I did not make this to show that Culliver is great i simply made it to show how well he played. When I am finished with all of the games I could sit back and go man Culliver was a huge liability in coverage this season, but he was not that game.

I did post some of my opinion in the break down but every time I thought I did a good job of pointing out that it was strictly my thought on what was happening on film and not an excuse for Culliver.

Bingo I am not attacking you and I am not trying to defend Culliver. Please answer this one question. If a corner is playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and goes into a back peddle as soon as the play begins how is he suppose to stop a 6 yard curl route? It was not just Culliver Brown and Rodgers both played way off the line most of the game. Why would they all play off the line if it wasnt what was asked of them?

This is not my opinion this is fact: Culliver week 1 gave up two completions. He allowed the Packers to gain 10 total yards on plays to the WR he was covering and broke up their final chance at winning the game. Please try to dispute that in anyway you would like.

sfninersfan2991

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

When the safety for the Broncos allowed that 70 yard touchdown pass with 40 seconds left against the Ravens his job was not to play the ball at all. His job was to stay behind the WR to make sure that no one scored on that play. To believe that the corners only job is to break up a pass when the ball is thrown his way is incorrect. There are situations when a corner is told by the coaches to not worry about the ball and just make sure the WR does not get past you. Where my opinion comes in is whether or not Culliver was instructed to do that on those plays because I have no idea what he was told to do. You also have no idea if he was asked to simply keep his guy infront of him so please dont try to attack me for simply pointing out an observation I had.

sfninersfan2991

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes proof of both just not 100% proof. I can show a game like week one as proof of a good game. To me allowing one first down for a game, drawing PI and deflecting the final pass of the game is PROOF of a good game. He was only thrown at four times.

I did not mean for it to be taken as all of my claims are fact and can not be challenged. I wanted us to have actual break downs of games to show when he was good and when he was bad, so the debate wouldn't be random stats and posters saying those stats are good or bad.

My opinion will be in every break down. I will always try to make it clear every time that I am stating an opinion but there will be facts that help for an arguement for good or bad play.

Facts: down and distance, yardage given up, how many times he was thrown at and how many times he made plays on the ball or was beaten, which WR he was covering.

Again I am sorry that I worded it poorly. I just want some type of evidence for either side to point at and say that game was good or bad.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Bingo is just being a bitch about all this. I remember when I was 5... Also when I stopped acting like it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bingo is just being a bitch about all this. I remember when I was 5... Also when I stopped acting like it.

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Your bitch is a bitch. If you get your head out of your a$$ and see why I believe Culliver is not a very good corner than you'd respect my position in the matter, until then let me be the 5 year old that I am and you go cuddle with your bitch since you know sh8 about the game of football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Again Cully is a good young corner moron. And you talk about my wife like that I will have your ass banned. You can attack me all you want, but you would never have the stones to say that to my face, trust me bitch. And your football knowledge is shit if you think Cully is a bad player. Again say that to my face and your ass isn't getting up, and that's a fucking promise. Cowboy isn't the only one who grew up on a farm with cattle bitch.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Again Cully is a good young corner moron. And you talk about my wife like that I will have your ass banned. You can attack me all you want, but you would never have the stones to say that to my face, trust me bitch. And your football knowledge is shit if you think Cully is a bad player. Again say that to my face and your ass isn't getting up, and that's a fucking promise. Cowboy isn't the only one who grew up on a farm with cattle bitch.

Your wife is like Culliver. They're both good as sucking.

Don't believe me just watch:
Tell your wife she Cully Sucks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.