• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cuban not happy about all star voting process

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I think he has a point on is voter turn out. The numbers are pretty low when you consider just how many people consume the NBA either on TV or in person. It's especially low considering you can vote more than once. But, for this year, I actually think the fans did a pretty good job. Most years they vote people in based off name but they actually left people off that have missed considerable time (like Durant). In years past, that hasn't happened.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you post a youtube video, you just need to copy and paste the link and then delete the s at the end of https.

Don't even have to hit the youtube icon.:suds:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXHIBITION GAME

for the fans

the fans vote for whomever the hell they want to see

Shut up Cuban

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just Lebron (although I think that if he participated, others would follow along), none of them are participating and haven't been for quite awhile.

We shouldn't be watching guys like Lebron, Dwight and KD or Westbrook sitting on the sidelines laughing and critiquing the dunks of a bunch of end of the bench players. We should be watching them competing against each other.

Quite frankly I don't fault the elite players or the main stars for their lack of participation in something so meaningless. The only thing that really matters in the regular season is getting ready for a playoff run and getting a championship. An injury for a required game is quite different then a meaningless contest. Yes, those contests and All Star game is fun to watch - I get that, but I would rather see the players on my team resting and letting someone else take the risk. Props to Lebron for recognizing which is more important

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly I don't fault the elite players or the main stars for their lack of participation in something so meaningless. The only thing that really matters in the regular season is getting ready for a playoff run and getting a championship. An injury for a required game is quite different then a meaningless contest. Yes, those contests and All Star game is fun to watch - I get that, but I would rather see the players on my team resting and letting someone else take the risk. Props to Lebron for recognizing which is more important

Horseshit. The top players in the game used to participate in these things every season. No one got hurt. The only thing these guys are afraid of hurting is their "brand" and/or their pride.

If they're really concerned about getting hurt, then they should get rid of the whole thing altogether. The whole all-star weekend is marketed as being "for the fans." The fans want to see Lebron, etc. not scrubs from the end of the bench.

Also, a player is more likely get hurt in the actual all star game than a dunk or 3 point contest. When was the last time anyone was hurt in either contest?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horseshit. The top players in the game used to participate in these things every season. No one got hurt. The only thing these guys are afraid of hurting is their "brand" and/or their pride.

If they're really concerned about getting hurt, then they should get rid of the whole thing altogether. The whole all-star weekend is marketed as being "for the fans." The fans want to see Lebron, etc. not scrubs from the end of the bench.

Also, a player is more likely get hurt in the actual all star game than a dunk or 3 point contest. When was the last time anyone was hurt in either contest?

The players are considerably weaker today and they are made out of glass. In my case, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if they got rid of the entire thing, but I think it would be more fun if they moved it into the summer and turned into an annual summer event that basically reminded everyone of the NBA coming season or something. We live in a different world then the one when players like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and the others participated and wasn't worried about getting hurt.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players are considerably weaker today and they are made out of glass. In my case, I wouldn't be disappointed at all if they got rid of the entire thing, but I think it would be more fun if they moved it into the summer and turned into an annual summer event that basically reminded everyone of the NBA coming season or something. We live in a different world then the one when players like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and the others participated and wasn't worried about getting hurt.

That bolded really isn't a bad idea from a marketing perspective. The problem would be getting the players to basically give up a week or so of their off-season for an exhibition game.

I don't necessarily agree that players today are considerably weaker (at least not physically). I think they are playing a lot more basketball in the off-season. Back in Magic, Larry and MJ's day, players didn't have the national team commitments that they have these days. Not only do you have the top American players playing for the U.S. National team, but the European players are playing for their home countries National teams as well. That's an awful lot of basketball with little time in between to recover from the previous season.

I agree about getting rid of the whole thing or at least the slam dunk and 3 point shooting contest. It's called ALL-STAR WEEKEND. We shouldn't be watching non-All Stars participating in All-Star activities.

Last edited by a moderator:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Fan voting has got to go. In the NHL a marginal player at best was voted in as a starter in the recent all star game for the NHL.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bolded really isn't a bad idea from a marketing perspective. The problem would be getting the players to basically give up a week or so of their off-season for an exhibition game.

I don't necessarily agree that players today are considerably weaker (at least not physically). I think they are playing a lot more basketball in the off-season. Back in Magic, Larry and MJ's day, players didn't have the national team commitments that they have these days. Not only do you have the top American players playing for the U.S. National team, but the European players are playing for their home countries National teams as well. That's an awful lot of basketball with little time in between to recover from the previous season.

I agree about getting rid of the whole thing or at least the slam dunk and 3 point shooting contest. It's called ALL-STAR WEEKEND. We shouldn't be watching non-All Stars participating in All-Star activities.

It would have to be planned ahead of time and there might need to be some arm twisting - It's no difference then when your church holds a planned fund raiser and they want you there. Or your daughter's high school, girl scouts, boy scouts or whatever And it would break up the summer

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Fan voting has got to go. In the NHL a marginal player at best was voted in as a starter in the recent all star game for the NHL.

Disagree. All-star games are for the fans and should involve the players that the fans want to see. All-Pro teams are for the players and can look pretty different from All-Star game rosters because of that.

For example, before his injury, Kobe was voted onto the All-Star team because fans want to see him. But does anyone really think he'd be All-NBA this year, even if he stayed healthy?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey if they insist on the status quo - that's fine with me - I can continue to ignore All Star Week End like I have in the past.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey if they insist on the status quo - that's fine with me - I can continue to ignore All Star Week End like I have in the past.

I actually enjoy the NBA All-Star game more than the NFL or MLB All-Star games. The first 3+ quarters of the NBA All-Star game is usually a bunch of highlight reel plays, but in the 4th quarter, they start getting a bit more serious and actually try to win the game. That's fun to watch.

The rest of the All-Star weekend is pretty much a waste though, especially the slam dunk contest since the star players don't compete in it anymore. If reports that both Klay Thompson and Steph Curry are going to be in the 3 point contest are true, that just got a lot more interesting.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually enjoy the NBA All-Star game more than the NFL or MLB All-Star games. The first 3+ quarters of the NBA All-Star game is usually a bunch of highlight reel plays, but in the 4th quarter, they start getting a bit more serious and actually try to win the game. That's fun to watch.

The rest of the All-Star weekend is pretty much a waste though, especially the slam dunk contest since the star players don't compete in it anymore. If reports that both Klay Thompson and Steph Curry are going to be in the 3 point contest are true, that just got a lot more interesting.

I never have paid attention to any of it other than the game about once per three years, but I am single and I am not at home that much. I am usually busy doing something. The All Star Week End just isn't on the list of things to do for me:lol:

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark always has something to piss about when it comes to all-star games (unless he is hosting it) or the Olympics.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark always has something to piss about when it comes to all-star games (unless he is hosting it) or the Olympics.

Yeah but he is right - as a successful business man who has made millions with successful business investments and decisions, He is right to point out that the current system for determining who plays in the All Star Game is broken. I personally don't give a rip because I don't watch it any way, but every year I always hear bitching and whining about who is getting screwed because of the unfairness of the system.
If they NBA would like to see the current All Star Break be better and more successful, then the correct decision would be to sit down and discuss it among the owners and come up with a better system and then implement it. Business is always changing and adapting according to the current times, so the NBA needs to make adjustments as well