• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cris Carter Admits Cheating

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all rules have the same punishment. Cheating is cheating but to what degree is the difference. Josh Gordon being a dumbass isn't the same as deflated balls, sticky gloves or trying to hurt someone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If the player they are going out to harm or hinder is actually harmed or hindered, that is a competitive advantage gained and therefore cheating. If you have another theory why they would put out a bounty on a player other than that I'd love to hear it.

Players hit each other with the intent of hurting someone every single play. What you're saying is that paying a guy for it gives a team an advantage; it doesn't. The referees will call hits either legal or illegal. And an illegal hit isn't cheating either! Just like being off sides isn't cheating.

Cheating means you've done something to get a competitive advantage the other team doesn't have. Putting money on something doesn't give one team an advantage. It's illegal and should be punished, but the integrity of the game isn't effected.

This is like coaches betting money against each other on who's going to win the game. It's against the rules, but it's not cheating. Deflating footballs is cheating.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players hit each other with the intent of hurting someone every single play. What you're saying is that paying a guy for it gives a team an advantage; it doesn't. The referees will call hits either legal or illegal. And an illegal hit isn't cheating either! Just like being off sides isn't cheating.

Cheating means you've done something to get a competitive advantage the other team doesn't have. Putting money on something doesn't give one team an advantage. It's illegal and should be punished, but the integrity of the game isn't effected.

This is like coaches betting money against each other on who's going to win the game. It's against the rules, but it's not cheating.

I get where you are coming from but not sure about that really IMO. If a QB gets the feeling a team may be going for his knees, that could change how he plays no matter the rules on low hits on the QB. If it didn't change things, why would another team want to do it?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NinerSickness;6317992[B[B said:
]]Players hit each other with the intent of hurting someone every single play[/B]. [/B]What you're saying is that paying a guy for it gives a team an advantage; it doesn't. The referees will call hits either legal or illegal. And an illegal hit isn't cheating either! Just like being off sides isn't cheating.

This is like coaches betting money against each other on who's going to win the game. It's against the rules, but it's not cheating. Deflating footballs is cheating.

Thats news to me. I have never seen it watching my son play for 9 years and I have met a lot of the Pats players pre 2005 or so. They used to practice around corner from me at Bryant College and used to come hang out quite a bit. Never heard anyone say," I wanted to hurt that guy" or I'm gonna paralyze that guy". Usually they block or tackle and not out trying to mame people.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If it didn't change things, why would another team want to do it?

Think of it this way: if a guy has a rib injury, teams are going to try to hit that guy in the ribs. If a guy has a thigh bruise: same thing. That isn't illegal. There are perfectly legal ways of trying to injure someone. The money changing hands can't be allowed because of liability reasons. It's done as a motivational technique. It's against the rules and should be punished severely, but giving a guy $1000 after a game doesn't go back in time and make one team have an unfair advantage.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thats news to me. I have never seen it watching my son play for 9 years and I have met a lot of the Pats players pre 2005 or so. They used to practice around corner from me at Bryant College and used to come hang out quite a bit. Never heard anyone say," I wanted to hurt that guy" or I'm gonna paralyze that guy". Usually they block or tackle and not out trying to mame people.

I can't imagine trying to hurt other players is something NFL players typically go around talking to people about.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right. The Pats don't do it. Hence, it isn't generally regarded as cheating.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Right. The Pats don't do it. Hence, it isn't generally regarded as cheating.

It's wrong and should be severely punished, but paying a guy after the game if he hurts somebody doesn't affect the outcome of a game.

If a safety goes for a guy's knee on purpose and causes an ACL tear is that "cheating?" What if he hits a QB in he head after the QB's had a concussion? Is it only cheating if someone paid him to do it?

The point isn't to defend Carter or the horrible things he & his team did; the point is that comparing this to deflating footballs is ridiculous. Your team let you & the rest of the NFL down. It's time to admit it and move on.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's wrong and should be severely punished, but paying a guy after the game if he hurts somebody doesn't affect the outcome of a game.

If a safety goes for a guy's knee on purpose and causes an ACL tear is that "cheating?" What if he hits a QB in he head after the QB's had a concussion? Is it only cheating if someone paid him to do it?

The point isn't to defend Carter or the horrible things he & his team did; the point is that comparing this to deflating footballs is ridiculous. Your team let you & the rest of the NFL down. It's time to admit it and move on.

Can you please direct me to the link regarding the investigation that proves up that the Pats deflated the footballs? Or are you a mind reader?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can you please direct me to the link regarding the investigation that proves up that the Pats deflated the footballs? Or are you a mind reader?

Just stop. The Ravens warned the Colts about it before the game. 11 of 12 balls were deflated. Belichick tried to go Mr. Science guy and give a BS explanation that the weather caused the pressure change of the 11 footballs but magically didn't affect the 12th one (and weather changes couldn't have possibly affected the balls to the extent that they would've been below regulation anyway).

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you offer a bounty to hurt Marshawn Lynch during the game and he is in fact injured, it DOES give the offenders team a competitive advantage. How you can think otherwise is puzzling. If there were no reward for doing so, no team would risk doing it.

If intentionally hurting the other teams better players to make it easier to win isn't cheating, cheating doesn't exist. Your argument holds no water.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you offer a bounty to hurt Marshawn Lynch during the game and he is in fact injured, it DOES give the offenders team a competitive advantage.

Injuring Lynch gives the team an advantage. Paying a guy to do so does not.

Both teams are equally capable of inuring another player regardless of who's paying whom.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuring Lynch gives the team an advantage. Paying a guy to do so does not.

Both teams are equally capable of inuring another player regardless of who's paying whom.

The premeditated nature of the bounty is what makes it cheating. It's all about intent. I'll agree to disagree. You see it your way and that's fine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The premeditated nature of the bounty is what makes it cheating. It's all about intent. I'll agree to disagree. You see it your way and that's fine.

The reason why it can't be compared to real cheating is that intent is impossible to regulate. And actually, trying to hurt a guy isn't illegal if it's done with a clean hit. And trying to hurt a guy with an illegal hit isn't cheating; it's a penalty just like off sides is a penalty. The line between an illegal hit an a legal one is extremely fine.

If one team has a paid bounty and the other just goes after a known injury, the paid-bounty team isn't more likely to win the game than the other team.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason why it can't be compared to real cheating is that intent is impossible to regulate. And actually, trying to hurt a guy isn't illegal if it's done with a clean hit. And trying to hurt a guy with an illegal hit isn't cheating; it's a penalty just like off sides is a penalty. The line between an illegal hit an a legal one is extremely fine.

If one team has a paid bounty and the other just goes after a known injury, the paid-bounty team isn't more likely to win the game than the other team.

If there is an actual bounty, I think it's safe to assume the intent is to at a minimum hobble a player.